help in choosing my next uke

aroun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a french guy living in Tokyo and I lately discovered the joys of Ukulele
I have been playing guitar for about 15 years and i went trying a ukulele just for fun a few weeks ago and needless to dsy I left the shop with a soprano

I have been playing it a lot lately but am a little frustrated when it comes to velocity/solo pieces, so I decided to go for a "bigger" model with a longer neck

The dilemna I am facing right now is, should I go for a superconcert or for a tenor, I love the high pitch tone of concert models but not being able to test them i don't know if they will be as comfortable to play as tenors

Your help is greatly appreciated

BTW the site rocks !! If anyone in Tokyo wants to jam let's organize something

Cheers

Aroun

There are plenty of stores in Tokyo where they let you try out all the ukuleles you want. I just visited Kurosawa Gakki (Acoustic Design) in Shibuya and got my ultra-beginner greasy little fingers on a Koaloha 6-string tenor and a Pono tenor. They had a bunch of all sizes, including a number of supersoprano/concert types.

In Shinjuku, the Ishibashi guitar shop towards Seibu station has a wall of ukes on the 2nd floor. Around Ueno, you have Kiwaya and then of course a bunch of music shops down Ochanomizu station. Kurosawa Gakki in Ikebukuro also has a bunch of nice ukuleles, also on the 2nd floor. Plenty of choice, I would say.

cheers

Hey Ukeninja,

thanks for the very useful shopping guide:)

if you don't know this shop I used to go there often for guitars:
Heartman, right in Shibuya behind the station on the way to Sakuragaoka/Daikanyama

they have a amazing selection of very very cool ukuleles, way out of my budget but very nice to go check

way out of my budget but very nice to go check

Kurosawa in Shibuya had a bunch of Kala tenors and one or two Ponos, from about 25.000 yen upwards. The choice seemed to be above average (for instance, Yamaha in Shibuya has about 6(!) ukes hanging and that's it). Depending on your budget, you may be able to find a nice uke there.

jakes ukulele - around 5k :D

Top Bottom