does anyone here play the bongos or jam on the uke with someone who does??

keithy351

Reaction score
g'day, well ive been keen on getting a set for $90 from music store close by, there a 7" and 9" one, joined.... always been interested but never really given it too much attention, what are they like to play in regards too, do they get boring quickly? can you play alone and sound half decent? any experience or advice that any of use can give here would be very highly appreciated.... will i just be trollin here with a set or can you get some serious enjoyment from playing them

Simple percussion works great with uke.

Jason Mraz's buddy Toca Rivera does a great job with a djembe. I'm a bodhran player as well as string instruments. Bodhran works very well with guitar or uke. It follows that bongos should work too.

If uke and bongos are good enough for GUGUG (Gus and Fin) then I'm certainly not going to argue. :D

I bought some bongos a few months back. I'm sure I'm still not playing them "correctly", but I do enjoy beating on them from time to time.

They are pretty loud, compared to a uke. No biggie for me, since I'd be multitracking them anyway, and can adjust relative volume levels.

But when playing live with a uker, you'd have to be sure to pay attention to dynamics, and play them somewhat softly. (With a large group of ukers, like at a ukulele club meeting, they'd probably be just right.)

JJ

thanks everyone, ima gonna invest in some in a few weeks, should be fun

I play both

A single conga is also a good option

thanks very much for your imput, i was looking at those but price is a bit too much... otherwise i would

I play bongos and the ukulele...problem is I dont know anyone that plays either

lol i can relate there, everyone plays the big bulky gay guitar ;) haha and no one plays either... ppl think im weird with my instrament choices

Last edited:
Yeah, hand drums go great with ukulele. My friend brought over his djimbe a few weeks ago, and it worked pretty well. Having percussion lets you leave a lot more space on ukulele too, since you've got something filling out the sound.

g'day, well ive been keen on getting a set for $90 from music store close by, there a 7" and 9" one, joined.... always been interested but never really given it too much attention, what are they like to play in regards too, do they get boring quickly? can you play alone and sound half decent? any experience or advice that any of use can give here would be very highly appreciated.... will i just be trollin here with a set or can you get some serious enjoyment from playing them

I play the djembe and I beat on bongos and congas as well as Djun Djuns. I liove hand drums.

I play the djembe and I beat on bongos and congas as well as Djun Djuns. I liove hand drums.

well then your the perfect person to ask, which, are more funner and nicer to play, and most enjoyable

My band uses only hand percussion (usually djembe) to back up uke and guitars. It works great, give it a shot!

well then your the perfect person to ask, which, are more funner and nicer to play, and most enjoyable

I play my bongo's while I play a Tenor that I have a strap on...
Strum a few bars... beat a few licks... think the Banana Boat Song (day'oooo day'oooo day light come....)

I like my Bongo's as much as the Conga's I used to have. They are kinda like a Uke small, easy to play and you can take them with you...
I also like them over a single head drum for the difference in tones.

Now the funny part... I got started playing the Uke cuz of Conga's. I was in a shop looking for a better set of Conga's and while waiting to talk to the sales guy I picked up a cheep uke they had hanging on the wall and ended up takeing it home instead!!!

Look up Jack Constanzo he is the King of Bongo's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_costanzo

if your intersted I have quite a few Bongo Lp's on vinyl and could burn you some copys to play along with.

Last edited:

Shameless plug. I got a remo 14" djembe made out of the composite material that I paid 300 for. Make me an offer and pay for shipping and it's yours. Low ball offers are fine. It is just too big for my house.

Top Bottom