Loud Tenors

iDavid

Reaction score
Just wondering which tenors you guys think are LOUD!

I'm in the market and want something with umph....

peace,
david

Whats your price range, the loudest would be a super tenor from kanile'a with high tension strings or a small baritone strung in GCEA.

kanilea tenor, in satin finish, they dont call them a sound monster for nothing ;)

:2cents: What really surprised me was the Kala Travel Uke (Tenor). For such a thin line instrument, the volume is outstanding and has tonal clarity. You can't go wrong for the price.

Go for quality, not loud! I'm a Kanilea fan - have two of them. It's probably what I would recommend just because of my own bias - but look for quality of sound, not just loud!

The loudest regular tenor I have tried so far is the Ohana TK-75CG. I recently reviewed it. Much louder than my Kanile'a.

But I suspect my new Pete Howlett mastergrade koa tenor will be louder. It will be ready in a few days.

You want something loud, you need a resonator.

i dont get it....
What deach (!) is saying is loud doesn't always equal good. Seeso is right about the reso being the loudest, but they do have that dobro sound. Very cool, but maybe not for an everyday uke. Hey! I'm adding Jerry Douglas to my Ukulele Summit...

If you are willing to increase the number of strings, the 6 and 8 string ukuleles can have a lot of volume, along with a richness. Similar to the difference between a 6 string and 12 string guitar. Mele has some nice 6 and 8 string ukes. I liked the mahogany one the best, when I went to their factory store on Maui. I almost bought a 6 string, but I am more of a fingerpicker than a strummer, and the 6 string probably works best for mostly strumming. The 8 string was wonderful too, but a little tougher on the fingers.
–Lori

What deach (!) is saying is loud doesn't always equal good. Seeso is right about the reso being the loudest, but they do have that dobro sound. Very cool, but maybe not for an everyday uke. Hey! I'm adding Jerry Douglas to my Ukulele Summit...

lol i knew what he ment, i was just trollin him ;)

also to who posted bout the travel ukes, man i played one too, very very saprised, they project much more then what you would expect....

also resonator agree there with sesso defiently up there with being the loudest either that or an 8 string

If you are willing to increase the number of strings, the 6 and 8 string ukuleles can have a lot of volume, along with a richness. Similar to the difference between a 6 string and 12 string guitar. Mele has some nice 6 and 8 string ukes. I liked the mahogany one the best, when I went to their factory store on Maui. I almost bought a 6 string, but I am more of a fingerpicker than a strummer, and the 6 string probably works best for mostly strumming. The 8 string was wonderful too, but a little tougher on the fingers.
–Lori

I had a Mele Solid Mahghany 6 string that was the loudest and one of the best sounding ukes I have ever owned.

IMO if you are looking for loud look for a spruce top or a older mahghany uke. Those seem to have the most volume in general.

Top Bottom