PDA

View Full Version : Loud Tenors

iDavid
11-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Just wondering which tenors you guys think are LOUD!

I'm in the market and want something with umph....

peace,
david

wearymicrobe
11-02-2009, 03:32 AM
Whats your price range, the loudest would be a super tenor from kanile'a with high tension strings or a small baritone strung in GCEA.

keithy351
11-02-2009, 03:35 AM
kanilea tenor, in satin finish, they dont call them a sound monster for nothing ;)

deach
11-02-2009, 03:46 AM
kanilea tenor, in satin finish, they dont call them a sound monster for nothing ;)

Excellent sound doesn't always mean it's the loudest.

UkuCouS
11-02-2009, 03:54 AM
Beltona Resonator (http://www.beltona.net/nav/uke_songstertenor.htm), as loud as a banjo-uke, maybe even more.

CouS

keithy351
11-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Excellent sound doesn't always mean it's the loudest.

i dont get it....

Kanaka916
11-02-2009, 04:38 AM
:2cents: What really surprised me was the Kala Travel Uke (Tenor). For such a thin line instrument, the volume is outstanding and has tonal clarity. You can't go wrong for the price.

bbycrts
11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Go for quality, not loud! I'm a Kanilea fan - have two of them. It's probably what I would recommend just because of my own bias - but look for quality of sound, not just loud!

Ken Middleton
11-02-2009, 05:07 AM
The loudest regular tenor I have tried so far is the Ohana TK-75CG. I recently reviewed it. Much louder than my Kanile'a.

But I suspect my new Pete Howlett mastergrade koa tenor will be louder. It will be ready in a few days.

seeso
11-02-2009, 05:30 AM
You want something loud, you need a resonator.

11-02-2009, 05:38 AM
spruce top.

ukecantdothat
11-02-2009, 05:44 AM
i dont get it....
What deach (!) is saying is loud doesn't always equal good. Seeso is right about the reso being the loudest, but they do have that dobro sound. Very cool, but maybe not for an everyday uke. Hey! I'm adding Jerry Douglas to my Ukulele Summit...

SamWise
11-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Or an amplifier.....

NewMexicoDawG
11-02-2009, 05:47 AM
I say Mainland:)The Cedar tops Are punchy:)
If thats not your thang check out MgM and spruce top may be the one for you.Mainland Fo Life
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/outkast90130/MyJezebel.jpg

One Love
NewMexicoDawG

Classic Mahogany Tenor Gloss

Lori
11-02-2009, 06:35 AM
If you are willing to increase the number of strings, the 6 and 8 string ukuleles can have a lot of volume, along with a richness. Similar to the difference between a 6 string and 12 string guitar. Mele has some nice 6 and 8 string ukes. I liked the mahogany one the best, when I went to their factory store on Maui. I almost bought a 6 string, but I am more of a fingerpicker than a strummer, and the 6 string probably works best for mostly strumming. The 8 string was wonderful too, but a little tougher on the fingers.
–Lori

keithy351
11-02-2009, 07:10 AM
What deach (!) is saying is loud doesn't always equal good. Seeso is right about the reso being the loudest, but they do have that dobro sound. Very cool, but maybe not for an everyday uke. Hey! I'm adding Jerry Douglas to my Ukulele Summit...

lol i knew what he ment, i was just trollin him ;)

also to who posted bout the travel ukes, man i played one too, very very saprised, they project much more then what you would expect....

also resonator agree there with sesso defiently up there with being the loudest either that or an 8 string

haolejohn
11-02-2009, 07:17 AM
If you are willing to increase the number of strings, the 6 and 8 string ukuleles can have a lot of volume, along with a richness. Similar to the difference between a 6 string and 12 string guitar. Mele has some nice 6 and 8 string ukes. I liked the mahogany one the best, when I went to their factory store on Maui. I almost bought a 6 string, but I am more of a fingerpicker than a strummer, and the 6 string probably works best for mostly strumming. The 8 string was wonderful too, but a little tougher on the fingers.
–Lori

I had a Mele Solid Mahghany 6 string that was the loudest and one of the best sounding ukes I have ever owned.

haolejohn
11-02-2009, 07:18 AM
IMO if you are looking for loud look for a spruce top or a older mahghany uke. Those seem to have the most volume in general.

wearymicrobe
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
spruce top.

Ok I will bite, spruce is not really louder it is a brighter sound. Punchy but I don't think the Db is up in any regard.

ukecantdothat
11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
lol i knew what he ment, i was just trollin him ;)
Sorry 'bout that. I've a density prollem, sometimes. Good way t'getcherseff deached!

euchre
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Pavarotti
:)

experimentjon
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
:2cents: What really surprised me was the Kala Travel Uke (Tenor). For such a thin line instrument, the volume is outstanding and has tonal clarity. You can't go wrong for the price.

Not going to lie, when I tried one of those Kala travel ukes at the Roy Sakuma Uke Fest this year, I was genuinely surprised at how loud it was. I'm sure the Aquila strings had something to do with the sound, but it did sound good. Of course, it isn't as loud as a full body tenor though.

I have to say that the Kanilea Soundmonster is loud. I don't own one, but it blew me away the first time I tried one. The second one I tried wasn't as good as I remembered, sounded pretty similar to my Kanilea UV tenor.

KoAloha Pineapple Sunday also has a lot of volume from the one I tried. Lots of headroom on that uke.

But in general, even if you get a relatively inexpensive tenor, if you add Aquila strings, you can get a big volume upgrade for not a lot of money.

Seven57
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Koaloha tenor

ukecantdothat
11-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Pavarotti
:)
Nah, it's the other guy.

Kekani
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Just wondering which tenors you guys think are LOUD!

I'm in the market and want something with umph....

peace,
david

Just buy some cheap ass laminate whatever for under $400 and add on Aquila strings. Seriously. Aquila strings are known to increase volume on low end `ukulele. I think most would agree with that statement.

Applause would be the next cheap thing to go to, but you would need an amp.

Just for conversation, something I learned from one of our local `ukulele musicians, is the importance of the `ukulele ability to not only play loud, but also play soft.

Most guys that I know that need a louder instrument usually plug it in and let the amp do the work. Be careful with this, because it should be a really good instrument. All an amp is going to do is make a crappy instrument sound crappy, but louder.

Getting back to your post - what is your price range? I'd have to say midrange factory instruments like KoAloha, actually, a Pineapple Sunday or a Sceptre (course, I may be biased). Not being biased, a Kanile`a Super Tenor will give you an increase in the lower realm, especially if strung low g.

Outside of that, go with what deach alluded to - loud doesn't necessarily mean good.

Just my $.02 - Aaron

iDavid
11-02-2009, 11:02 PM
changed my mind....

Kekani
11-03-2009, 05:46 AM
changed my mind....

Changed to?

iDavid
11-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Changed to?

Sweet sounding :D

ukecantdothat
11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Sweet sounding :D
Long neck soprano?

MGM
11-03-2009, 11:26 AM
To me some of the sweetest are Kanileas and Koalohas and Compass roses. As for volume any nornal range sounding ukulele is fine to me. As Aaron pointed out if its volume you just need to amplify it...I go for tone and sutlety in nature of sound rather than brute volume in judging a uke...Of course if it completely dead and closed sounding thats not acceptale. some of the est recording ukuleles in tone and sound quakity i have heard have never been exceptional loud.

haolejohn
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd have to say midrange factory instruments like KoAloha, actually, a Pineapple Sunday or a Sceptre (course, I may be biased). Not being biased, a Kanile`a Super Tenor will give you an increase in the lower realm, especially if strung low g.

Outside of that, go with what deach alluded to - loud doesn't necessarily mean good.

Just my $.02 - Aaron

Midrange factory instrument????

Kekani
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
Midrange factory instrument????

Not sure what the question is - anything off of KoAloha or Kamaka (or G-String or Kanile`a) rack should actually be called just that, a rack instrument. The Sceptre and Pineapple Sunday, and Super Tenor is in the $800 - $1200 range (okay, the Pineapple Sunday a little higher) - Smack dab in the midrange of rack instruments, although those are "special", they are priced competitively.

The next step would be their high end, unless we're talking Ko`olau. From a pricing perspective, I would say the Ko`olau is breaching into the higher end, but not like the Customs (especially theirs).

From the instruments I've seen Paul and Casey put out, I guess I should really call their rack instruments their low end, the specials "midrange", and the customs "high end" because they put out some really nice stuff (as do Derek and Joe, of course).

Sorry for the confusion - I figured I'd lump the specials in with rack, just for price purposes.

Aaron

Pippin
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
some of the best recording ukuleles in tone and sound quakity i have heard have never been exceptional loud.

That is an interesting observation. When I choose an acoustic instrument, especially ukulele, for performing and recording, I don't want loud as much as I want a smooth neck and a sweet tone. I'd rather have a mellow instrument and let the electronics do their stuff. If I mic an acoustic instrument, I want more control over any sound that the uke emits and a good condenser mic is worth its weight in gold. Loud can translate to mud when amplified or recorded.

Kekani
11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Loud can translate to mud when amplified or recorded.

Great point - I've been messing around with my kid's new PA System (spoiled by Grandma), and through my research and observations of live events, just because a good instrument is amped, doesn't mean it'll sound good.

Fortunately, I've settled in on a good combination that works - good instrument, good pickup, good sound. Done.

BTW - I don't see any suggestions (nor a real question for that matter) for the "changed to" sweet tenor. . .

Aaron

haolejohn
11-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Not sure what the question is - anything off of KoAloha or Kamaka (or G-String or Kanile`a) rack should actually be called just that, a rack instrument. The Sceptre and Pineapple Sunday, and Super Tenor is in the $800 - $1200 range (okay, the Pineapple Sunday a little higher) - Smack dab in the midrange of rack instruments, although those are "special", they are priced competitively.

The next step would be their high end, unless we're talking Ko`olau. From a pricing perspective, I would say the Ko`olau is breaching into the higher end, but not like the Customs (especially theirs).

From the instruments I've seen Paul and Casey put out, I guess I should really call their rack instruments their low end, the specials "midrange", and the customs "high end" because they put out some really nice stuff (as do Derek and Joe, of course).

Sorry for the confusion - I figured I'd lump the specials in with rack, just for price purposes.

Aaron

Ok. I understand now. I consider the koalohas, kanileas, and kamakas as high end but you were talking their mid range. It confused me b/c I was thinking you just had high standards. Now I understand though.