to "D" or not to "D" ?

happytails

Reaction score
The local ukulele band that inspired to get a ukulele has invited me to their weekly practices....the only problem is they play in "D" tuning and I've been trying to learn everything in the standard tuning. Plus, I think I like the sound better. Is the solution to use a capo at practice or do I have to make a choice? Is there any advantage, other than being compatible with the band, to playing in "D" tuning?

You don't need to use a capo. When they play a C, you still play a C for example - it's just a different chord shape.

It can make it slightly more challenging to follow along by watching their hands (you'll have to transpose chord names a whole step in your head), but it's not that hard. As a bonus, it'll make you better at playing by ear.

The nice thing is that your chord voicing will be slightly different and add a bit of depth to the ensemble. Much better than everyone in total unison. For example, when I play guitar with more than one guitarist, I capo at the 5th fret. This gives the group a nicer harmonic range and some texture rather than three guitars all playing the same thing. I still play the exact same chord progressions, I just use different shapes and inversions.

Thank you Mr. Grumpy... don't know if i'm for for the challenge of transposing chords as we're playing....might get grumpy myself. But I can see where it would sound nice with the group.

Thank you Mr. Grumpy... don't know if i'm for for the challenge of transposing chords as we're playing....might get grumpy myself. But I can see where it would sound nice with the group.

You can also just look at the chords that are played for example:
G c D
WE Fall Down, We lay our crowns

You would play the same thing just your fingers would look differently. Whenever I play with a guitar player I sometimes get confused with his fingering.

You don't really have to transpose exactly - just remember that thier D shape is your C shape for example - it's eaiser than it sounds. Again, it's the same chord, but a different shape. It just takes a little practice on some tunes you know well and you'll get it. Good ear training, and once you can do it well - you'll be a better player for it.

Take it one tune at a time and you'll be a pro at it in no time.

Will study your responses so I understand what you're talking about....you have such confidence in my ability to pull this off!....with practice.

But, what do you think of "d" tuning? Personally, I like the sound of the ukulele better in standard tuning which is why I'm reluctant to switch.

We are talking about soprano ukes, I hope? Some sopranos sound better in "D" tuning, but to my ears most are better in "C". I guess it is a matter of individual perception.

Playing a "C" tuned uke along with others who are in "D" is not a problem - except when they hand out sheets with chord windows on. If the sheets only indicate what chord to play (no windows), that is what you play, the way you always play it. Having chord windows in front of you, that do not apply, can be a little confusing, but if you can ignore them it will work just fine. The fact that everyone else in the room is using different chord shapes from you should not bother you.

It is - as they say - all good.

Ukantor.

So, If the song calls for a F chord I can play an F as I'm used fingering it even tho all the other ukuleles are in another tuning? I thought I would have to go back a chord and play an E?

There are all sizes of ukes in the band....mine and several others are tenors.

This chart might help with shapes vs. key. There are no chord names because C or D tuning makes no difference from a shape perspective. The chord shapes are the same, no matter what key you are in. Major chords are the same form in both tunings. It's just that your C is thier D - it's still the exact same chord form. The white circles are the root tone - as long as that is correct, you are all set.

UkeChordShapes.gif

Last edited:
If they are playing an F, so should you. If their fingers are forming what would be an F on your tuning, you would play a G.

So, If the song calls for a F chord I can play an F as I'm used fingering it even tho all the other ukuleles are in another tuning? I thought I would have to go back a chord and play an E?

There are all sizes of ukes in the band....mine and several others are tenors.

When the song call for an F, you all play an F. It's just that your F shape is in a different place on the fretboard than thiers.

Since coming to Sweden I have learnt that most people tune it D over here. I attend a beginners course, and am the only one tuned to C.

It isn't really a problem. As long as the songs have the chords wirtten on them, I just play along. Of course I bring my own little sheet of what the chords (grips) look like as the teacher only knows D-tuning chords.

The only problem is that she always try to choose songs that are easy to play in D tuning. And when a song in written for C-tuning she transposes it to D-tuning. Which means I've had to learn some weird grips...

happytails, don't even think about what all the others are doing with their fretting hands. When it says play an "F" chord you should play an "F" chord, they will play an "F" chord. Same for every other chord, whatever the key. Play what it says.

Don't make it any more complicated than that.

Ukantor.

Thank you all for expanding on the explanation....glad I'm not the only one (drtortoise) trying to make it work without changing the tuning. I have a tenor and I still prefer the c tuning. Maybe it's because I played the guitar years ago.

So if the group is fingering a C in D tuning (looks like a F on a guitar), my C will just be the first string on the 3rd fret and it will still sound o.k. with everyone else? I see in my chord handbook that a C can also be played using the d tuning fingering at the 3rd fret.

I'm also having trouble with chords where you really have to stretch...hope my fingers are long enough and I will finally be able to do it someday. Tried Jody Kamisato's "White Sandy Beach" for beginners and b flat and b flat minor are impossible right now.....a goal to reach.

Top Bottom