Mango, eye candy or what?

davidp

Reaction score
Hi,
I love the appearance of this wood, and I have read many threads from a 'mango' search here.

The general consensus is that it is 'good' to 'very good' eye candy (I am in agreement 100% on this) but it doesn't seem to get much mention in any threads discussing tonewoods.

I know Moore Bettah Ukuleles has built with it. This is one georgeous looking piece of woodwork he has in his gallery (I would have bought that in seconds, without even hearing it), and I fell in love with a LH Kala mango cutaway at MGM's shop.

But is it more than eye candy? Is it a good tonewood? Where I live there is not much chance to get a bunch of different ukes (in terms of woods they are built with) together to do sound comparisons.

I know this will be a dummy question that has been asked and answered before, so feel free to point me to threads or reference material (or even just ignore me :)), but ...what actually makes a good tonewood? Can mango be a good tonewood?

davidp

I'll put up a video comparing mango to koa. I don't have any mahghany ukes anymore but I do have old videos comparing a koa uke to a mahghany uke.

Top Bottom