PDA

View Full Version : Waterslide Decals?

beeejums
11-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm collecting tools to try building one of those StewMac tenor kits... but I want to make it "pretty." I was looking at stuff, and I found these:

http://www.greasygroove.com/waterslidedecals.php

Waterslide decals of 40's style pin-up girls. Which is awesome. :drool:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but waterslide decals are like the kind that come with plastic model kits, right? Very thin material that you get wet to activate the glue, then it adheres to the wood / plastic / whatever you're adhering it to. Right? Isn't that what they use for headstock labels, like on electric guitars? And isn't that kind of decal designed to go on before the final finish, so the finish protects the decal? And this wouldn't affect the sound, would it?

Thanks!

phanzo
11-02-2009, 12:02 PM
I dont have an answer for your questions, but those decals would look awesome on a custom uke! Cool find, my friend! Hope you get a good answer and you can throw those bad boys on there! GL

Blrfl
11-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but waterslide decals are like the kind that come with plastic model kits, right?

Yep, that's them. If you want to do your own, they make blanks that you can put in laser and ink jet printers, too.

--Mark

Thumper
11-02-2009, 12:39 PM
There's a tutorial video here:

http://www.greasygroove.com/howtodecal.php

beeejums
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
There's a tutorial video here:

http://www.greasygroove.com/howtodecal.php

Ha, I totally missed that. thanks.

dave g
11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I have been using them with great results with lacquer, but can't get them to work with my new water borne polyurethane finish. (I'm just going to quit the decals :))

beeejums
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
I have been using them with great results with lacquer, but can't get them to work with my new water borne polyurethane finish. (I'm just going to quit the decals :))

What about Tru-Oil? Do you think that would work well? That's about all I've got capability to do, or can afford...

dave g
11-02-2009, 04:10 PM
What about Tru-Oil? Do you think that would work well? That's about all I've got capability to do, or can afford...

Dunno - try it on a test piece.

Uncle-Taco
11-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Tru-oil no worky. I tried. Bad medicine.

Pete Howlett
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Otherwise known as "How to deface your instrument with salacious pictures of pin-up girls!"

You know what? I find those Greasy Groove images stereotypically sexists and deeply offensive. What grown up in their right mind would want to ruin their guitar or ukulele like that?

Rant over :D

The demonstration however was first class from a fellow countryman.

beeejums
11-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Otherwise known as "How to deface your instrument with salacious pictures of pin-up girls!"

You know what? I find those Greasy Groove images stereotypically sexists and deeply offensive. What grown up in their right mind would want to ruin their guitar or ukulele like that?

Sorry if it offends. I don't like posting things that offend. But we can't all have the same taste, or viewpoints. Variety is the spice of life.

My wife's opinion is completely different. She actually likes the images because she thinks they're glamorous and that it's bold of women to pose that way (even if those are just "cartoon" women). I like them (especially the science fiction images) because they're evocative of old movies and comic books and TV shows, and I am a fan of that sort of thing. I say that just for the sake of argument. We could argue it all day (I mean, what we have here is the whole argument in a nutshell, right?) and I don't feel like it, I just felt like saying that much of it to cover my own rump if I'm being called "sexist."

Counterrant over ;)

ukantor
11-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Just to add some balance to the view of these images. I would not put them on my uke, but do not find them offensive. They are cartoon images which represent a particular period in popular art. I find them quite innocent and amusing.

Beauty, and salaciousness (horrible word!) are in the eye of the beholder.

Ukantor.

ichadwick
11-03-2009, 12:55 AM
...waterslide decals are like the kind that come with plastic model kits, right?
Basically correct. You can apply waterslide decals over the finish. I designed some agave-motif decals and printed them on my laser, then applied them to my Fluke (pictures on my review page). A little tricky because they're very thin and susceptible to rolling and sticking to itself. But not difficult.

Be careful with them - they put water on your uke. Wipe away any excess very quickly.

They last and, if properly applied, don't peel. I put mine where I wouldn't hit them on a strum or with my fingers when picking. Didn't affect the sound to any noticeable degree.

hoosierhiver
11-03-2009, 03:16 AM
I've got some that are butterflies, fun to mess with. You've got to consider the darkness of the wood. If the waterseal is kind of transparent a dark wood will not let it show like you'd want.

cornfedgroove
11-03-2009, 04:15 AM
you could settle the "offensive" debate by just putting John Wayne on there...everybody loves The Duke.

or try putting some Cleveland Browns decals on there...everybody loves Cleveland!

RonS
11-03-2009, 05:17 AM
I have nothing against beautiful women...
I like to look at them as they walk by...
I even married one.
(she is still beautiful after 26 years of marriage)

I admit it, I'm a sexist.

I like to open doors for them...
I pull out a chair form them to sit down...
I stand up when they get up...
I always help them carry heavy packages.

I'm proud to be a sexist!

I'm not offended. But I could never understand why someone would want to place any kind of sticker (or decal) on a instrument. Gives me the shivers just to think about it!

To each his own.

ukantor
11-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I've got a yellow Mahalo covered in stickers. I'm very proud of it.

Wouldn't do it to my Kumalae, though, or my Kala. But those "K" ukes are special, aren't they?

Ukantor.

Timbuck
11-03-2009, 08:35 AM
or try putting some Cleveland Browns decals on there...everybody loves Cleveland!
Well! I suppose "Redcar" is not too bad in the Summer....I don't rate "Hartlepool" tho'. :D

ichadwick
11-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I...I could never understand why someone would want to place any kind of sticker (or decal) on a instrument. Gives me the shivers just to think about it!
What about tattoos? Bumper stickers? A flag in front of your house? A picture on a wall? Jewellery? A bookplate? All pretty much the same, in my eyes. Just what we use to identify ourselves from the herd.

davidp
11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
What about tattoos?

it would be very interesting to see what a good tattoo artist could do with a uke ...and how long his needles would last punching ink into wood.

davidp

dave g
11-03-2009, 09:17 AM
it would be very interesting to see what a good tattoo artist could do with a uke

Been there, done that: http://www.wsukes.com/34/u34.html

davidp
11-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Been there, done that: http://www.wsukes.com/34/u34.html

thks ...as I half suspected, looks like an old sailor :)

I suppose there will also be examples of poker-work out there (next someone will tell me that there are luthiers out there making ukuleles out of toy pianos as well)

davidp

sorry, I was so busy trying to be funny (my humour ranges from offensive through terrible to perhaps mildy amusing) that I didn't ask the question I wanted to.

Was the ink penned/painted on, or into the timber?

RonS
11-03-2009, 09:33 AM
What about tattoos? Bumper stickers? A flag in front of your house? A picture on a wall? Jewellery? A bookplate? All pretty much the same, in my eyes. Just what we use to identify ourselves from the herd.

:spam:

The subject is about instruments and women, I don't want to waste my time to go off on a tangent with you.

camface
11-03-2009, 10:07 AM
:spam:

The subject is about instruments and women, I don't want to waste my time to go off on a tangent with you.

Mmm... no, this subject is about how well the decals will stick to the uke and if they will affect the sound.

RonS
11-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Mmm... no, this subject is about how well the decals will stick to the uke and if they will affect the sound.

They will effect the sound ;)

davidp
11-03-2009, 10:30 AM
They will effect the sound ;)

Ron, do you know this from experience? If so, how much of the surface would need to be covered by decal for there to be any noticeable audible effect?

My (un-informed) thinking would be that as long as the integrity of the woodgrain and thickness was not effected, there would be minimal change to the sound. Is that just nonsense on my part?

davidp

RonS
11-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Ron, do you know this from experience? If so, how much of the surface would need to be covered by decal for there to be any noticeable audible effect?

My (un-informed) thinking would be that as long as the integrity of the woodgrain and thickness was not effected, there would be minimal change to the sound. Is that just nonsense on my part?

davidp

Difficult to answer. It is like asking "What does a bell sound like" and trying to answer only by typing in a little text box.

What is minimal or a negative change (or positive for that matter) in sound is really subjective. Plus the fact that every instrument will be effected differently.

But to give you an idea, an extra coat of finish will effect the sound. Even the amount of ambient humidity will change the sound.

So, anything you add to the top will effect the sound.

My personal preference/opinion are stickers and decals distracts the apperance of an instrument.

Again I'll say

To each his own.

davidp
11-03-2009, 11:04 AM
So, anything you add to the top will effect the sound.
Thanks for your response.

My personal preference/opinion are stickers and decals distracts the apperance of an instrument.
I tend to agree, but I love some of the inlay work I have seen via here, and Moore Bettah Ukuleles has some exquisite examples on his website.

davidp

RonS
11-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your response.

I tend to agree, but I love some of the inlay work I have seen via here, and Moore Bettah Ukuleles has some exquisite examples on his website.

davidp

OH YES! But please do not confuse Chuck's very talented artwork as stickers or decals.

I have great admiration for his work and would love to have some of his talent on any of my instruments.

ukantor
11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
This is only an opinion (as are the foregoing comments) but waterslide decals will have no noticeable effect upon the sound of the uke. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. Put them on the backs, the sides, the front, it won't make a scrap of difference.

Ukantor.

davidp
11-03-2009, 12:24 PM
OH YES! But please do not confuse Chuck's very talented artwork as stickers or decals.
That would be impossible I suspect :drool:

davidp

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
an extra coat of finish will effect the sound.

Agreed. Believe it or not it may make it sound even better.

GrumpyOldMan
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I made a waterslide transfer for the headstock of my Thomann/Grizzly kit. I did this on my Epson inkjet but it is a little bit fuzzy. I have also made them on a laser printer and that was pin sharp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Brockyman/LankyLelelogo.jpg

Cheers,
Ian.

beeejums
11-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I didn't realize this was such a heated topic...

The funny thing is, after looking at finishes, I've decided I want to use Tru-Oil and am probably not going to put a decal on the uke... except a custom one I'm going to make for the headstock, but that I can do after the finish, since it won't get touched very often, and it won't be a big deal.

fromthee2me
11-04-2009, 12:08 AM
I would put them on the case of the instrument, but I did not see any decalls of the pretty ladies with a uke ?? Depending on the value/quality of the uke, is the criteria I would use, if a decall would be transferred on to the instrument or not. 2c's worth from a 58 year old.. it reminds me of the late John Lennon who I think had a Rolls done in psychedelic colours, but then again he was young and successfull in what he did.

mzuch
11-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. While I wouldn't put a decal of a WWII pinup on a uke, it inspired me to create this decal for the headstock using a very cool mother of pearl style extension in Photoshop.

Ahnko Honu
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Pete, don't forget the American B-17s and B-24s that had these type art on their noses, without them you might be speaking German today. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/B17_nose_art.jpg

Ahnko Honu
11-05-2009, 10:25 AM

davidp

I'm guessing some clear gloss finishes are allot thicker than these water-slide decals.

Ahnko Honu
11-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I didn't realize this was such a heated topic...

The funny thing is, after looking at finishes, I've decided I want to use Tru-Oil and am probably not going to put a decal on the uke... except a custom one I'm going to make for the headstock, but that I can do after the finish, since it won't get touched very often, and it won't be a big deal.

It might be a good idea to spray a clear coat over the decal after applying and drying to set in place permanently.

RonS
11-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing some clear gloss finishes are allot thicker than these water-slide decals.

It might be a good idea to spray a clear coat over the decal after applying and drying to set in place permanently.

Very interesting

PaulGeo
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM

That's exactly what I did on my Flea. Worked great (after several tries :o) and sounds fine to me.

Dibblet
11-06-2009, 02:48 AM
I made a waterslide transfer for the headstock of my Thomann/Grizzly kit. I did this on my Epson inkjet but it is a little bit fuzzy. I have also made them on a laser printer and that was pin sharp.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/Brockyman/LankyLelelogo.jpg

Cheers,
Ian.

Oh! I have to have a Lanky-lele. I'm in Leeds now but I was brought up just up the road for `u in Morecambe.

GrumpyOldMan
11-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Oh! I have to have a Lanky-lele. I'm in Leeds now but I was brought up just up the road for `u in Morecambe.
I was in Morecambe today!! Surprisingly, I lived to tell the tale. The Morecambe of today is a million miles from the Morecambe I remember as a young lad.

Lanky-Lele's are definitely the way to go!!

Cheers,
Ian.

Vic D
11-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I was planning on using waterslide decals for my headstock logo, you can get waterslide decal paper for your printer. I'm using Stew Mac's water based lacquer and sanding sealer. I thought I'd apply the decal and clear over it. Think it'll work? As far as graphics on the body go I plan on doing some of that in the future with my trusty airbrushes.

Dave G, love that tattoo uke... I actually have the pics of that one that I saved a while back, part of a collection of ukes I've seen on the internet. I save the ones I like and from time to time look through them to give me ideas. Hope you don't mind.

cornfedgroove
11-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Pete, don't forget the American B-17s and B-24s that had these type art on their noses, without them you might be speaking German today. ;)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/B17_nose_art.jpg

I doubt that chick on the side had anything to do with us "not speaking German" other than the fact that there's a fatty machine gun next to her. Besides, she aint the same as a pin up.

Ahnko Honu
11-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I doubt that chick on the side had anything to do with us "not speaking German" other than the fact that there's a fatty machine gun next to her. Besides, she aint the same as a pin up.

You obviously don't get my point at all, and if I have to explain it to you then no sense, no hope for the younger generation, who are so far removed that they have no appreciation for the "greatest generation" and the sacrifices they made. I'll say it again- American B-17s and B-24s that had these type art on their noses, without these planes (with their art), and the crews who manned them you (was mainly addressing Brits but okay, you too) might be speaking German today. For your information I put a rather tame example of nose art up since this is a family site but if you knew anything about nose art you'd know they did get very risque, many at least as racy as a pin up from which they were in fact based on, do your research. Show some appreciation for the planes, the men who put the art on the planes, the crews who flew them, these bomber crews suffered some of the highest mortality rates of the war. "Fatty machinegun" had little to do with their success, B-17s and B-24a were bombers, they dropped bombs, they help stop the German war machine by destroying factories with their bombs. You are TOTALLY mistaken that "chick" and the men who painted them had EVERYTHING to do in YOU not speaking German, and with winning the war. You ever heard of morale boosting, and camaraderie? Nose art built these up by giving the planes an identity to their crew thus their bonding with these inanimate machines which were given life and personality as well as motivating symbolism by this art which was in fact based on pin-ups of the time. Veterans Day coming up so show some respect for the few WWII veterans still left.

ukantor
11-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Can I say that the bravery and the sacrifices of the US troops in WW11 were fully appreciated by my generation of Englishmen. I grew up during WW11 (born 1938), and can remember seeing truckloads of US soldiers being driven through my town - thousands of them. As a little fella, I used to shout, "Got any gum, Chum?", and sometimes they'd throw us a stick or two.

They looked very smart in their lighter coloured uniforms, and the first black people I ever saw were US soldiers - very exotic and interesting to a five year old boy.

As a child, I never doubted that "we" would win the war, but things could have been SO different.

Ukantor.

Ahnko Honu
11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Thank you Ukantor for your comments. I had 2 "uncles" (hanai) in bomber crews shot down by Germans one (B-24 pilot) survived (Partisans got him back to American lines) and is still alive, the other (B-26 Tailgunner/radioman) was lost along with rest of crew so I never had the honor of knowing him but my older brother is his namesake.
Nose art is one way of remembering these brave men, their planes, and especially there service.

GrumpyOldMan
11-09-2009, 09:47 AM
I was planning on using waterslide decals for my headstock logo, you can get waterslide decal paper for your printer. I'm using Stew Mac's water based lacquer and sanding sealer. I thought I'd apply the decal and clear over it. Think it'll work?
Vic, you somehow or other managed to miss the picture just two posts above yours of the headstock transfer (or decal to the Americans) which I did in exactly the way you described. I would say that a laser printer does a better job but the one above was done on my inkjet. You'll just have to waste a bit of paper whilst you get the settings right on an inkjet.

Ian.

mzuch
11-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Ian: What kind of adjustments did you have to make on the inkjet printer? Did you coat the printed decal paper with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Spray after printing?

Michael

cornfedgroove
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
You obviously don't get my point at all, and if I have to explain it to you then no sense, no hope for the younger generation, who are so far removed that they have no appreciation for the "greatest generation" and the sacrifices they made. I'll say it again- American B-17s and B-24s that had these type art on their noses, without these planes (with their art), and the crews who manned them you (was mainly addressing Brits but okay, you too) might be speaking German today. For your information I put a rather tame example of nose art up since this is a family site but if you knew anything about nose art you'd know they did get very risque, many at least as racy as a pin up from which they were in fact based on, do your research. Show some appreciation for the planes, the men who put the art on the planes, the crews who flew them, these bomber crews suffered some of the highest mortality rates of the war. "Fatty machinegun" had little to do with their success, B-17s and B-24a were bombers, they dropped bombs, they help stop the German war machine by destroying factories with their bombs. You are TOTALLY mistaken that "chick" and the men who painted them had EVERYTHING to do in YOU not speaking German, and with winning the war. You ever heard of morale boosting, and camaraderie? Nose art built these up by giving the planes an identity to their crew thus their bonding with these inanimate machines which were given life and personality as well as motivating symbolism by this art which was in fact based on pin-ups of the time. Veterans Day coming up so show some respect for the few WWII veterans still left.

In all fairness dude, you need to take the stick out your butt...we've never had beef before so I dont know what your deal is. It was a joke...and if I needed a lecture from you I would have come to your seminar. You dont have an inkling of my beliefs on the builder generation. I'll take a deep breath here and say that I wasnt trying to be rude... I will say that I'm irate with how you berated me, and would like to tell you to stick it, but I wont cuz I'm sure you just didnt get the humor.

Besides, it wasnt even directed at veterans whom we ALL appreciate, but rather that dumb painting, which in my opinion is nothing but old school porn...so screw it, pin ups are nothing but smut. Immoral and unappreciated. Not that I would have ever had said that w/o being agitated, to each his own.

*Sorry that you missed the joke

ukantor
11-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Woa there! To each his own, indeed. I find those pin-ups innocent and amusing, and so does my wife.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and so is smut.

Ukantor.

cornfedgroove
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Woa there! To each his own, indeed. I find those pin-ups innocent and amusing, and so does my wife.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - and so is smut.

Ukantor.

agreed...culture has changed, its an apples / oranges comparison now, I know that. Although the smut then is laughable and cute today, it doesnt change the fact that it was still smut. I'm cool though, to each his own...like I said, I wouldnt have said it if I hadnt been attacked.

I do however appreciate his position. I am of the opinion that we live amongst self-absorbed, self-indulgent generations with no honor that are ruining the country. There is no longer a sense of God, family and duty in this country...its dog eat dog...get while the gettin's good. However, in all fairness again, these great heroes were the same generation that spoiled the bejesus out of their hippy, free-loving children. The same children who, in broad sweeping generalities :), became the hedonistic ruin of our nation. Boomers = failure, but then we are all products of our environment in a great many ways.

Ahnko Honu
11-09-2009, 09:18 PM
In all fairness dude, you need to take the stick out your butt...we've never had beef before so I dont know what your deal is. It was a joke...and if I needed a lecture from you I would have come to your seminar. You dont have an inkling of my beliefs on the builder generation. I'll take a deep breath here and say that I wasnt trying to be rude... I will say that I'm irate with how you berated me, and would like to tell you to stick it, but I wont cuz I'm sure you just didnt get the humor.

Besides, it wasnt even directed at veterans whom we ALL appreciate, but rather that dumb painting, which in my opinion is nothing but old school porn...so screw it, pin ups are nothing but smut. Immoral and unappreciated. Not that I would have ever had said that w/o being agitated, to each his own.

*Sorry that you missed the joke

If that was meant was a joke which I doubt then you have a warped sense of humor but I believe it was opinion based totally on your ignorance of the subject matter. You show a total ignorance of WWII history, and total lack of respect for veterans intentional or not. You don't need to try and be rude you have a natural born talent for it. Punks like you obviously need lecturing as evidenced by your immature and uninformed replies, and also reflected in your signature line which is oxymoronic at best.
Now you're getting all self-righteous and judgmental about nose art and pin-ups? Give me a break. Insulting the art you insult the memory of the men who flew these planes, and the sacrifices they made. You should be ashamed of yourself but I'm sure your pride won't allow that.
The only one with a stick up their anal orifice is YOU. :rolleyes:

uke5417
11-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Rutting season?

Ahnko Honu
11-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Rutting season?

Nah, just a low tolerance for ignorant BS. ;)

Kanaka916
11-10-2009, 03:36 AM
OK guys, I'm closing this thread because there have been complaints of rude and offensive remarks. The conversation has strayed too far from the topic and has gotten too personal. Some of the responses are way out of line. I've read and reread through the last couple of replies. Think about what you type before hitting that "Enter" button.

To the OP, if you wish to continue with this topic, please do so in another thread. Thanks!