PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Flea and Fluke?

UkeMan09
11-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I've always wondered what the difference was between a flea and a fluke. Can anyone tell me? Thanks.

-UM :shaka:

ChamorroDT
11-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Other than the shape...

I don't think anything. But let's wait and see the responses cause I'd like to know as well.

haole
11-02-2009, 01:23 PM
The Flea has a smaller body (around soprano size) and shaped sorta like a pineapple. The Fluke's body is more triangular, and it's a bit bigger (concert size). And the neck options are different: the Flea comes standard with a soprano neck, with the option for a concert neck instead. The concert neck is standard on the Fluke, but you can opt for a tenor.

Hope that clears things up!

AnnaUK
11-02-2009, 01:24 PM
As Haole said, the scale length is different, following the same sizes as normal ukes.

Fleas come in soprano and concert sizes.
Flukes come in concert and tenor sizes.

The website is pretty good, look in the store and you'll see that you can select which size you want from a drop down menu.
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/

Hope this helps :)

Ahnko Honu
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
FLEA (soprano)
http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/images/flea_soprano_natural.jpg

FLUKE (concert)
http://www.dukeofuke.co.uk/images/fluke_concert_natural.jpg

d-mace
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I've had both and think there is a noticeable difference in tone between the two....with the Flea being brighter and the Fluke mellower. I like the tone of the Fluke but the looks and comfort in holding the Flea....the Fluke seems to roll off the tummy a bit based on its shape and curvature.

mailman
11-02-2009, 01:59 PM
The biggest drawback for me are the friction tuners. Some folks like 'em, and some folks don't. I don't.

Other than that I think there're cool....

Thumper
11-02-2009, 02:27 PM
I've got a concert Flea and a tenor Fluke. I love them both. The Fluke has a more clear, ringing tone, while the Flea is a little more dry. The Fluke is also noticeably louder than the Flea, with a fuller, richer tone, and notes that sustain longer. However, neither one is as bright and piercing as an all-wood uke.

My significant other is a professional singer, and when I'm playing with her, the Fluke works better, because she has a BIG voice. When I'm just strumming away for my own pleasure, I grab the Flea.

Hope this helps.

UkeMan09
11-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Cool, thanks for all the answers, it helped a bunch!

-UM :shaka:

Doc_J
11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
How does then Fluke tenor compare to the regular Fluke concert size? :confused: I've got the concert and always wondered if the scaled up tenor is as good. Is the tenor body the same size as the concert on the Fluke?

My only regret about my fluke is that I did not spring for rosewood fretboard. I'm not totally happy with the plastic molded frets. Has any one removed the plastic and installed a real wood one?

Ahnko Honu
11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
How does then Fluke tenor compare to the regular Fluke concert size? :confused: I've got the concert and always wondered if the scaled up tenor is as good. Is the tenor body the same size as the concert on the Fluke?

My only regret about my fluke is that I did not spring for rosewood fretboard. I'm not totally happy with the plastic molded frets. Has any one removed the plastic and installed a real wood one?

Fluke bodies are the same the tenor having a longer neck so technically a super-concert. As far as the fretboard send it back to the factory and they'll install a new rosewood one for I believe $75.00.

experimentjon
11-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Yup, the "tenor" fluke just puts a bigger neck on the same body. I've compared the bodies next to each other, and they're the same. As for the plastic fretboard, I actually like it. I've never had any problems with it, and I think it adds to the character of the uke. Plus, I save $75.

Doc_J
11-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Yup, the "tenor" fluke just puts a bigger neck on the same body. I've compared the bodies next to each other, and they're the same. As for the plastic fretboard, I actually like it. I've never had any problems with it, and I think it adds to the character of the uke. Plus, I save $75.

:agree:

Yes it does add to the simple, effective, nearly indestructible design. But, I think that the rosewood would feel and wear better. Fleamarket warrants the plastic fretboard for 3 years, so it must last fairly long.

existence
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Not that they're short on praise around these parts, but I can't say enough how impressed I am with the flea (haven't tried a fluke yet.) I liked it when I first got it, but each passing day I find that I like it more. Even though I've got a Koaloha that cost 3 times as much, I still play it daily....its tone might not be quite in the K's league, but it's pretty close. Not as loud and bright, but it does its own thing that the Koaloha can't. It's also the easiest player I've yet tried....super low action and those soft Hilo strings make it practically play itself. Sometimes I'll grab it instead of the Koaloha just because it's easier to play.

Okay, I'll stop gushing now...

Thumper
11-03-2009, 02:08 AM
As noted above, Fluke bodies only come in one size, with two possible neck sizes. Ditto for Flea bodies.

Here is how a tenor Fluke and a concert Flea compare in size:

http://www.whatilikeaboutuke.com/tenor_fluke_concert_flea.jpg

Doc_J
11-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Nice pictures! Great comparison.

Any sound clips? Seems like the Fluke tenor sounds pretty much like the concert on youtube.

RevWill
11-03-2009, 04:10 AM
I think Fleas are better sounding than Flukes. Tenor Flukes sound better than concert. Just my opinion. You can hear some soprano Flea and tenor Fluke action on my YT channel.

Doc_J
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Yes, your Fluke tenor does sound nicer than your concert. Do you have Aquila's on both? I still have the black Hilo's on my Fluke.

devilishlypure
11-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I've been trying to decide between a Flea and a Fluke recently as well! This thread has been helpful.

I finally decided that it was probably a matter of which one was more comfortable to hold and play, since the shape seems to be the main difference anyway, so I emailed the people who make them and I'm going up to CT to try out some of the seconds at the Magic Fluke Company on my way to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving. There are hardly any stores that carry a good selection of ukuleles around PA and NJ, that I've found at least, so I'm excited that they make Flukes and Fleas somewhat nearby.

I like the look and the sound of the Fluke a bit better, from what I can tell in the YouTube videos I've seen of it, but I've heard that the Flea is more comfortable to hold and doesn't slip around as much. I will see for myself!

And then maybe get an artistic friend of mine to design a custom decal for it. I'm excited!!

RevWill
11-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Yes, your Fluke tenor does sound nicer than your concert. Do you have Aquila's on both? I still have the black Hilo's on my Fluke.

If that's addressed to me, I don't have a concert. The soprano tiki Flea was my first serious uke, and I liked the sound of the tenor neck on the Fluke so much more than the concerts I'd tried that I only wanted the tenor. I do believe all my vids have the ukes strung with Aquilas, which sound killer on the Fleas and Flukes.

bluesuke
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I prefer the sound of the Fluke over the Flea. The Fluke is more warm and mellow the Flea is punchyer and has a slightly higher sound to my ear

CountryMouse
11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I've been trying to decide between a Flea and a Fluke recently as well! This thread has been helpful.

I finally decided that it was probably a matter of which one was more comfortable to hold and play, since the shape seems to be the main difference anyway, so I emailed the people who make them and I'm going up to CT to try out some of the seconds at the Magic Fluke Company on my way to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving. There are hardly any stores that carry a good selection of ukuleles around PA and NJ, that I've found at least, so I'm excited that they make Flukes and Fleas somewhat nearby.

I like the look and the sound of the Fluke a bit better, from what I can tell in the YouTube videos I've seen of it, but I've heard that the Flea is more comfortable to hold and doesn't slip around as much. I will see for myself!

And then maybe get an artistic friend of mine to design a custom decal for it. I'm excited!!

Please post about what you decide on and why. And will you be using a strap and/or having a strap button installed? I'll be excited to hear, as I'm thinking about getting one or the other maybe next month!

CountryMouse

JT_Ukes
11-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I love my Concert Tiki Flea.. I use a id badge lanyard attached to the little hook at the base of the neck to keep him in place when playing standing or sitting up.

On the couch I don't use a strap at all.

just sayin'

CountryMouse
11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
I love my Concert Tiki Flea.. I use a id badge lanyard attached to the little hook at the base of the neck to keep him in place when playing standing or sitting up.

On the couch I don't use a strap at all.

just sayin'

I tried a Uke Thong on a couple of my other ukes, and it just didn't feel very secure. But I'll have to think on it. :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Ahnko Honu
11-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Flea
http://www.petside.com/petsideblog/2009/06/29/29-flea-1.jpg

Fluke
http://www.graingerpottery.com/fotos/fluke.jpg

Flukes are generally bigger and tastier than Fleas. ;)
...but I like to go fishing just for the Halibut. :cool:

Ahnko Honu
11-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I tried a Uke Thong on a couple of my other ukes, and it just didn't feel very secure. But I'll have to think on it. :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Sounds very uncomfortable to me. :eek:

CountryMouse
11-04-2009, 05:58 PM
:-P '''''''''

You're too funny! :rotfl:

CountryMouse

latro55
11-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I just ordered the tenor fluke with the polycarbonate fingerboard. The nice people who make them will retro fit a new board for $10 more than it costs new with the board.

JT_Ukes
11-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I just ordered the tenor fluke with the polycarbonate fingerboard. The nice people who make them will retro fit a new board for $10 more than it costs new with the board.

I had mine with the plastic for a while.. then upgraded.. quick turnaround.

The only difference is you will still have the plastic bridge, I think if you get it rosewood from the start, it's a wooden bridge.Tthey don't change that with the upgrade.

no biggie I guess.

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-15-2009, 04:20 PM
flea looks better IMO

martinukulele
11-18-2009, 06:57 PM
There are hardly any stores that carry a good selection of ukuleles around PA and NJ, that I've found at least, so I'm excited that they make Flukes and Fleas somewhat nearby.

If Staten Island isn't too far, you might consider Mandolin Brothers.

http://www.mandoweb.com

I was there the other day and they have a nice selection of ukes.

Happy playing!

Sambient
11-19-2009, 12:52 AM
There are hardly any stores that carry a good selection of ukuleles around PA and NJ, that I've found at least, so I'm excited that they make Flukes and Fleas somewhat nearby.

The Sam Ash in Cherry Hill NJ seems to regularly get a few Fleas and Flukes in.

devilishlypure
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
If Staten Island isn't too far, you might consider Mandolin Brothers.

http://www.mandoweb.com

I was there the other day and they have a nice selection of ukes.

Happy playing!

The Sam Ash in Cherry Hill NJ seems to regularly get a few Fleas and Flukes in.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check them out next time I'm in the area.

I went to the Magic Fluke factory today and tried out all of the options, including the various neck sizes and whatnot. I found the flea more comfortable to hold, but I preferred the sound and the look of the fluke so I'm going with that one (concert neck) instead. :D

MGM
11-24-2009, 04:40 PM
One thing hasnt been mentioned is that the rosewood fretboard flukes and fleas seem to have a better sustain than the plastic ones I think the platis just isnt dense and stiff as the rosewood to create a nice sustain transfer from the neck to body

imperialbari
12-27-2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.whatilikeaboutuke.com/tenor_fluke_concert_flea.jpg

Great photo!

I like the concept of the Flea & the Fluke. The incorporation of modern materials reminds me of Ovation.

I had wondered from the text description whether the frets were metal layered into the plastic fingerboard. But am I interpreting the photo right when now assuming that frets are part of the integrated all-plastic mold?

I also like the headstock design. Is it plastic in all versions?

Are there any photos of this headstock with the geared pegs? I donít get how they work.

Is the back of the Flea round like a coconut or a pineapple?

Any experiences with the tenor Fluke with the solid Koa top and pick-up for amplification?

The availability of non-standard ukuleles appears being limited in Europe, so I am fascinated learning about all these options here.

Klaus

Uncle Leroy
12-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a both a Flea Tenor and a Fluke Tenor. My flea has a composite fretboard and the Fluke a rosewood board. I actually prefer the Flea, it has a much brighter sound and is quite loud for it's size. In fact I will be listing the Fluke in the marketplace as soon as I take some pictures.

fromthee2me
12-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I am in the Flea Concert Camp (+rosewood trimmings etc.) Listened to a whole lot of youtubes and found the Flea to be punchier as well( more character). What MGM wrote on the solid rosewood fretboards is news to me, but with his experience and exposure to ukes, he knows ! I wish he would give us more tips like that!

harpdog
12-28-2010, 12:47 AM
frets are part of the integrated all-plastic mold? YES

I also like the headstock design. Is it plastic in all versions? Headstock and neck are wood - fretboard is plastic or rosewood

Are there any photos of this headstock with the geared pegs? Look up Pehhed tuners

Is the back of the Flea round like a coconut or a pineapple? flat but rounded edges

rreffner
12-28-2010, 03:13 AM
I have a couple questions. How well do the 'graphics' stay on? Or in the case of a painted uke. Does the paint stay on well? What is the soundboard material on painted ukes?

shrink9
12-28-2010, 05:07 AM
Having grown up on a farm, I must confess that the shape of the fluke reminds me too much of the scoop that we used (MANY blisters) to scoop chicken manure in a hot chickenhouse. I know that we used scoops for a lot of other jobs also (ie, scooping corn, feed for animals, etc); however, the chickenhouse is what I remember most!! FWIW!

SuzukHammer
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
The sound and fit of the Fluke for me seems better than the Flea.

The rosewood sustain? hmmm.

THe FLuke chicken pooh scoop? ok. Once the wood is toast, I'll go run it by the farm and see if it sells.

Shastastan
10-22-2011, 08:57 AM
FYI. This is an excellent thread to determine the differences between a Flea and a Fluke, IMO. I'm still having a hard time deciding though. I do have a Mainland Tenor mahogany that has a nice rich tone so I'm thinking that a higher pitch my be better to provide a different sound?

hibiscus
10-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Great thread~ I have learned a lot!

kaizersoza
10-22-2011, 09:51 AM
as i have stated in the past i love my fluke more than all my other ukes because it is robust and holds a tune well, there is no problem with intonation or sustain, now don't get me wrong the sustain does'nt match up to my mainland, but because i can take it anywhere in any weather, thats why its my favourite, as for a flea or a fluke, buy whichever one you like coz they are both fantastic instruments

j'uke'in
04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I know this thread has had considerable time to rest, but I wanted to add that the debate lingers. As my UAQ threatens to hemorrhage I am tempted by the many offerings of the Flea. I have a tenor Fluke already, and other than the slippage of fingers off the first string frets and the slippage of the oval instrument off my stomach/legs, I have no real complaints. The sound, volume, intonation, and playability are all very strong. I now desire a tenor Flea, and since the price goes up considerably for a "designer" Flea rather rather than a plain color flea, was wondering if anyone had simply found a decent library of decals that could be applied.

j'uke'in
04-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I know this thread has had considerable time to rest, but I wanted to add that the debate lingers. As my UAS threatens to hemorrhage I am tempted by the many offerings of the Flea. I have a tenor Fluke already, and other than the slippage of fingers off the first string frets and the slippage of the oval instrument off my stomach/legs, I have no real complaints. The sound, volume, intonation, and playability are all very strong. I now desire a tenor Flea, and since the price goes up considerably for a "designer" Flea rather rather than a plain color flea, was wondering if anyone had simply found a decent library of decals that could be applied.

Freeda
04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
There are a crapload of "inlay" stickers on evilbay!

CountryMouse
04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
I know this thread has had considerable time to rest, but I wanted to add that the debate lingers. As my UAQ threatens to hemorrhage I am tempted by the many offerings of the Flea. I have a tenor Fluke already, and other than the slippage of fingers off the first string frets and the slippage of the oval instrument off my stomach/legs, I have no real complaints. The sound, volume, intonation, and playability are all very strong. I now desire a tenor Flea, and since the price goes up considerably for a "designer" Flea rather rather than a plain color flea, was wondering if anyone had simply found a decent library of decals that could be applied.

Yep! Jockomo's Inlay Stickers (http://www.inlaysticker.com/)! He also has an eBay store, which is where I get mine--he combines shipping, which is very helpful. Here is what my grape soprano Flea looks like with some of his cool stickers:

Mousie

grandpoobah
04-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Yep! Jockomo's Inlay Stickers (http://www.inlaysticker.com/)! He also has an eBay store, which is where I get mine--he combines shipping, which is very helpful. Here is what my grape soprano Flea looks like with some of his cool stickers:

Mousie

What kind of strap is that? its nice!

CountryMouse
04-15-2012, 01:26 PM
What kind of strap is that? its nice!

It's a Planet Waves mandolin strap (http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Mandolin-Strap-Brown/dp/B0002GZBO2). (not shilling for amazon.com, I just buy a ton of stuff there!) I have it attached with Velcro to the body of the Flea, then tied at the nut. :)

Mousie