Difference between Flea and Fluke?

UkeMan09

Reaction score
I've always wondered what the difference was between a flea and a fluke. Can anyone tell me? Thanks.

-UM :shaka:

Other than the shape...

I don't think anything. But let's wait and see the responses cause I'd like to know as well.

The Flea has a smaller body (around soprano size) and shaped sorta like a pineapple. The Fluke's body is more triangular, and it's a bit bigger (concert size). And the neck options are different: the Flea comes standard with a soprano neck, with the option for a concert neck instead. The concert neck is standard on the Fluke, but you can opt for a tenor.

Hope that clears things up!

Size and scale length

As Haole said, the scale length is different, following the same sizes as normal ukes.

Fleas come in soprano and concert sizes.
Flukes come in concert and tenor sizes.

The website is pretty good, look in the store and you'll see that you can select which size you want from a drop down menu.
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/

Hope this helps :)

FLEA (soprano)
flea_soprano_natural.jpg

FLUKE (concert)
fluke_concert_natural.jpg

I've had both and think there is a noticeable difference in tone between the two....with the Flea being brighter and the Fluke mellower. I like the tone of the Fluke but the looks and comfort in holding the Flea....the Fluke seems to roll off the tummy a bit based on its shape and curvature.

The biggest drawback for me are the friction tuners. Some folks like 'em, and some folks don't. I don't.

Other than that I think there're cool....

I've got a concert Flea and a tenor Fluke. I love them both. The Fluke has a more clear, ringing tone, while the Flea is a little more dry. The Fluke is also noticeably louder than the Flea, with a fuller, richer tone, and notes that sustain longer. However, neither one is as bright and piercing as an all-wood uke.

My significant other is a professional singer, and when I'm playing with her, the Fluke works better, because she has a BIG voice. When I'm just strumming away for my own pleasure, I grab the Flea.

Hope this helps.

Cool, thanks for all the answers, it helped a bunch!

-UM :shaka:

How does then Fluke tenor compare to the regular Fluke concert size? :confused: I've got the concert and always wondered if the scaled up tenor is as good. Is the tenor body the same size as the concert on the Fluke?

My only regret about my fluke is that I did not spring for rosewood fretboard. I'm not totally happy with the plastic molded frets. Has any one removed the plastic and installed a real wood one?

How does then Fluke tenor compare to the regular Fluke concert size? :confused: I've got the concert and always wondered if the scaled up tenor is as good. Is the tenor body the same size as the concert on the Fluke?

My only regret about my fluke is that I did not spring for rosewood fretboard. I'm not totally happy with the plastic molded frets. Has any one removed the plastic and installed a real wood one?

Fluke bodies are the same the tenor having a longer neck so technically a super-concert. As far as the fretboard send it back to the factory and they'll install a new rosewood one for I believe $75.00.

Yup, the "tenor" fluke just puts a bigger neck on the same body. I've compared the bodies next to each other, and they're the same. As for the plastic fretboard, I actually like it. I've never had any problems with it, and I think it adds to the character of the uke. Plus, I save $75.

Yup, the "tenor" fluke just puts a bigger neck on the same body. I've compared the bodies next to each other, and they're the same. As for the plastic fretboard, I actually like it. I've never had any problems with it, and I think it adds to the character of the uke. Plus, I save $75.

:agree:

Yes it does add to the simple, effective, nearly indestructible design. But, I think that the rosewood would feel and wear better. Fleamarket warrants the plastic fretboard for 3 years, so it must last fairly long.

Not that they're short on praise around these parts, but I can't say enough how impressed I am with the flea (haven't tried a fluke yet.) I liked it when I first got it, but each passing day I find that I like it more. Even though I've got a Koaloha that cost 3 times as much, I still play it daily....its tone might not be quite in the K's league, but it's pretty close. Not as loud and bright, but it does its own thing that the Koaloha can't. It's also the easiest player I've yet tried....super low action and those soft Hilo strings make it practically play itself. Sometimes I'll grab it instead of the Koaloha just because it's easier to play.

Okay, I'll stop gushing now...

As noted above, Fluke bodies only come in one size, with two possible neck sizes. Ditto for Flea bodies.

Here is how a tenor Fluke and a concert Flea compare in size:

tenor_fluke_concert_flea.jpg

Nice pictures! Great comparison.

Any sound clips? Seems like the Fluke tenor sounds pretty much like the concert on youtube.

I think Fleas are better sounding than Flukes. Tenor Flukes sound better than concert. Just my opinion. You can hear some soprano Flea and tenor Fluke action on my YT channel.

Yes, your Fluke tenor does sound nicer than your concert. Do you have Aquila's on both? I still have the black Hilo's on my Fluke.

I've been trying to decide between a Flea and a Fluke recently as well! This thread has been helpful.

I finally decided that it was probably a matter of which one was more comfortable to hold and play, since the shape seems to be the main difference anyway, so I emailed the people who make them and I'm going up to CT to try out some of the seconds at the Magic Fluke Company on my way to Massachusetts for Thanksgiving. There are hardly any stores that carry a good selection of ukuleles around PA and NJ, that I've found at least, so I'm excited that they make Flukes and Fleas somewhat nearby.

I like the look and the sound of the Fluke a bit better, from what I can tell in the YouTube videos I've seen of it, but I've heard that the Flea is more comfortable to hold and doesn't slip around as much. I will see for myself!

And then maybe get an artistic friend of mine to design a custom decal for it. I'm excited!!

Yes, your Fluke tenor does sound nicer than your concert. Do you have Aquila's on both? I still have the black Hilo's on my Fluke.

If that's addressed to me, I don't have a concert. The soprano tiki Flea was my first serious uke, and I liked the sound of the tenor neck on the Fluke so much more than the concerts I'd tried that I only wanted the tenor. I do believe all my vids have the ukes strung with Aquilas, which sound killer on the Fleas and Flukes.

Top Bottom