Gerlitz Guitar Honey

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU+
UU VIP
Reaction score
I figured I'd clean my Kamaka fretboard since I had already buffed out the body with my Meguir's kit.

Tried out the Gerlitz and it worked great! Used some #0000 steel wool and wiped it off. This is the result. The finger shadows that were on every fret are now gone!

The product does not contain lemon oil or silicone. $6.95 at Guitar Center.

http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

100_5592.jpg

Last edited:
Ronnie, did you use the 0000 steel wool on the fretboard first? I am trying to remove some finger smudges on the fretboard and some oxidation on the frets right now. I bought the steel wool but I'm scared to use it. I asked at Guitar Center and was told to lightly use it with the grain and to lightly dab it in water first. Is that what you did before you applied the Guitar Honey on it?

I was planning on removing the oxidation with steel wool but had been nervous about it scratching the fretboard so I was going to buy a Planet Waves Fret Polishing kit. But since I already have the steel wool and you used it without a problem, I'm contemplating trying that before I order the Planet Waves.

I've used 0000 steel wool on my guitars before and haven't run into any issues. I haven't played guitar seriously for about 5 years now, but I seem to recall using it every time I changed strings, which was once every couple of months.

I've used 0000 steel wool on my guitars before and haven't run into any issues. I haven't played guitar seriously for about 5 years now, but I seem to recall using it every time I changed strings, which was once every couple of months.

Thanks...I'm planning on trying it on my Kamaka fretboard -- but I didn't know if Ronnie applied the guitar honey with the steel wool or if he rubbed it on there dry, then applied the Guitar Honey after (which I'm guessing judging by the cloth in the photo).

When you used it on your guitar did you wet it (like the guy at Guitar Center) said to, or did you just rub it lightly on the fretboard dry?

And...would you be willing to do it on one of your beautiful KoAloha fretboards? ;)

WWII, I wet the fretboard with the Gerlitz then went over it with the wool. I just used a few drops of the Gerlitz to lubricate the process (I guess water would have worked too.) I then wiped the fret board down to remove the burrs left from the wool then applied a little more of the Gerlitz to finish it off.

Did you ever get the "wave" out of the finish on your Kamaka?

I too was worried about using the wool but its very fine and you just have to brush it lightly over the fretboard. Remember to go with the grain and you should be fine. It polishes up the fret wire too.

Last edited:
WWII, I wet the fretboard with the Gerlitz then went over it with the wool. I just used a few drops of the Gerlitz to lubricate the process (I guess water would have worked too.) I then wiped the fret board down to remove the burrs left from the wool then applied a little more of the Gerlitz to finish it off.

Did you ever get the "wave" out of the finish on your Kamaka?

I too was worried about using the wool but its very fine and you just have to brush it lightly over the fretboard. Remember to go with the grain and you should be fine. It polishes up the fret wire too.

Thanks a lot Ronnie. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow or this weekend. :)

Nope, I didn't take it in to Kamaka. I figured they did such a fantastic job with the refinishing, and removing the gouges under the bridge that I didn't want to look completely ungrateful by complaining about the bubble that Chris accidentally left in it. It is on the side that faces the floor so I usually forget about it, and all things considered, I'll take my little bubble with the glossy finish and lack of gouges. I try to look at it like this, I've got a couple of wrinkles too, so my uke has one as well.

Thanks...I'm planning on trying it on my Kamaka fretboard -- but I didn't know if Ronnie applied the guitar honey with the steel wool or if he rubbed it on there dry, then applied the Guitar Honey after (which I'm guessing judging by the cloth in the photo).

When you used it on your guitar did you wet it (like the guy at Guitar Center) said to, or did you just rub it lightly on the fretboard dry?

And...would you be willing to do it on one of your beautiful KoAloha fretboards? ;)

I used the steel wool on a dry fretboard. I didn't notice any burrs when I did it. Maybe it's because I wasn't using enough pressure. I'm not sure. But in either case my fretboards always looked good. :)

My guitar has an ebony fretboard. My tenor has a sapele fretboard and my PS has a Koa fretboard. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but I probably would do it. I haven't done it yet though because the fretboards still look good. Of course, I don't have enough time in the day to play my ukes like I did guitar back in the day. :)

Steel wool and water are always a bad idea. Sounds like some bad advice. The bits of steel wool can get lodge around the frets and the water will cause them to start rusting. Oil won't do that.

Try to keep the wool bits off your finish and never wipe them off your finish. Blow them off if you can

When I restring a uke I routinely use #0000 steel wool with Howards Feed N Wax (both available at Home Depot). Make sure both the wood and wool have conditioner on them (Feed N Wax in my case). Run the wool lightly up and down the fretboard. Then wipe it down with a soft rag. The fretboard looks like new.

Feed N Wax is orange oil, bees wax, and carnuba wax. So lots of stuff will work as well (guitar honey, lemon oil, etc.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom