PDA

View Full Version : D#m Fingering

dktoller
11-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I've been looking at movable chord forms lately. I'm curious as to how people finger a D#m chord: 3321. This is the same form as the popular Em (4432) but because of its position on the fret a Em works with 0432 or simply 0402. Not so for a D#m.

So to on the lower two strings (G+C) do you use ring finger and pinky? Or do you fret both lower strings with just the ring finger? Recommendations anyone?

Or maybe this simply is a matter of convenience in the context of the chord progression.

ChamorroDT
11-02-2009, 04:10 PM
When I play a D#/Ebm, I place my ring finger on the G string, pinky on the C, middle on the E, and index either on the A or just barring the whole first fret. I guess it depends on my previous chord

Ex: F#/Gb => D#/Ebm, I would bar the first fret and just drop my pinky on the C string when the time comes.

Ya know?...

Ukulele JJ
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Being a lazy bastard, I'd probably just play it as X321 (using my thumb to mute the fourth string).

But yeah, it does depend on what chords precede and follow it.

JJ

Boozelele
11-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I find it easiest to bar the first fret with my index finger. So it would be like playing the Dm with middle ring and pinky only, then laying your index across the whole neck as you move up one fret....I think it feels better than bending your index finger down to just catch the A string.

CulpRJ
11-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Question:

So to on the lower two strings (G+C) do you use ring finger and pinky? Or do you fret both lower strings with just the ring finger? Recommendations anyone?

Answer: Thumb.

Longer Answer: I use my index finger on the first string, middle finger on the second, and thumb for the third and fourth. Not sure why, I've just always done it that way. I'd play D# major with my thumb too, but I tend to do things a little differently.

cocohonk
11-05-2009, 05:26 AM
When I play a D#/Ebm, I place my ring finger on the G string, pinky on the C, middle on the E, and index either on the A or just barring the whole first fret.

That's how I play it too. But sometimes I'd just use 0321 and mute the G string. And sometimes I'd just use 8666 (or another chord formation) instead if it works. It really depends on where the chord is in a song.