Criticism Welcome!

Big_e

Reaction score
Criticism welcome. How can I improve? My style? strumming? I'm too loud or to quiet? I learned this from MusicTeacher2009 on YouTube. I'm using my Ohana Sopranino with Martin Clear Flourocarbons. I didn't want to post my first vid in YouTube 'cause I'm too embarrassed and just want my UU family to critique. Clicky
Ernest

PS: Tips can be tossed in the gigbag!:p

I think it sounds good, man. I would work on toning down your strumming while you're singing.

You're on your way, bro!

Hey man, nice job! I really like that tune.

The only thing I can think is since you've obviously got the chords and vocals down, you might try maybe switching up the strumming pattern for certain parts--maybe during the bridge ("there's one thing...."). That's an easy way to add some contrast to the tune, to spice it up a little. One thing I like to do is to use chunking during certain parts, and use a continuous strum for the rest. The contrast in rhythms sounds pretty good. Of course, you'll probably find something that feels natural to you....

Good going! Nice ukulele too!:D

Nice! That's not an easy song.

I think you're on the right road. Your strumming and switching between chords are good. Just keep playing lots of songs you like, and they'll both become smoother and smoother without you even noticing it. :cool:

That Ohana sounds great!

JJ

dude!

youtube it up mate
your playing fine, sweet song you smashed in the Em and everything

keep rockin it's great, sounds sweet.:music:

Last edited:
ok, so ive got a few ideas to help you out... first off, take your ukulele, rest it down on the table, look at it, admire it, get a feel for it, NOW TAKE A SLEDGE HAMMER AND SMASH IT TO PIECES AND NEVER PLAY ANOTHER UKE AGAIN .... hahaha nah im just yankin ya mate, actually played very well, a great consistant strum, you wouldnt believe how many people have trouble playing and singing at the same time,and you done real well there too... keep it up keep enjoying and loving your uke and she will keep sapriseing you every so often, and you will saprise yourself too.. Great work :D

dude!

youtube it up mate
your playing fine, sweet song you smashed in the Em and everything

keep rockin it's great, sounds sweet.:music:

I was thinking the same thing when I watched. You hit that Em no problem. I'm still working on it. Keep it up!:)

You did good!

Whenever I try to sing along with my playing I end up defaulting to the up down up down up down strum no matter what strum I had been playing before I started singing!

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody! I'll work on my strumming and also try out more patterns. I also noticed today that playing a uke outdoors adds a different factor to the way you sound.
Thanks,
Ernest

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody! I'll work on my strumming and also try out more patterns. I also noticed today that playing a uke outdoors adds a different factor to the way you sound.
Thanks,
Ernest

try playin on the bog, it opens a whole new world to ukulele playing

I think you did a good job there with some tricky chord changes. The change from G to Em can be made easier (with practice of course!) if you keep the G shape that you already have (0232), leave your fingers where they are on the strings and bring your little finger onto the 4th fret of the C string (0432). Once your little finger gets used to this trick, then it's a breeze. This change only occurs once in your song, of course, so you might not think it worth bothering with. But I've found it comes in useful in so many other songs that it's well worth learning.

Get yerself on Youtube!

I think you did a good job there with some tricky chord changes. The change from G to Em can be made easier (with practice of course!) if you keep the G shape that you already have (0232), leave your fingers where they are on the strings and bring your little finger onto the 4th fret of the C string (0432). Once your little finger gets used to this trick, then it's a breeze. This change only occurs once in your song, of course, so you might not think it worth bothering with. But I've found it comes in useful in so many other songs that it's well worth learning.

Get yerself on Youtube!

Nice tip about G to Em! I'll have to try that, thanks!

Top Bottom