PDA

View Full Version : Issue Nine of Ukulele Player Magazine is online

Pippin
11-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Issue Nine is online now. We are giving away a Kala Tenor Travel Uke in this issue.

Check out the spotlight, Steven Sproat, and UU's very on member "thejumpingflea" a.k.a Matt Dahlberg as the Up & Coming Artist.

Rick Turner shares a lot of good information about Compass Rose Ukes. Thanks Rick, great stuff.

Brittni Paiva's new CD is fantastic and we review it this issue. Jake's new EP is reviewed as well. We also tell the story behind the project.

Enjoy.

Ahnko Honu
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Mahalo Pippin, great job once again! :shaka:

Pippin
11-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks! Wow, you must be up late (or early). Hope you enjoy the review of the Ohana pineapple. It really sounds great. For the money, I do think that it is the best deal going in a solid-wood pineapple.

ricdoug
11-02-2009, 10:56 PM
That article with Steve Boisen was awesome! We incorporate a bass player into our kanikapila, too. Ric

buddhuu
11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Thanks, Pippin. :cool:

keithy351
11-03-2009, 12:30 AM
thanks mate, great read really enjoy reading your articles

Captain_Lovehandles
11-03-2009, 01:17 AM
This looks like a great issue. Can't wait to read it all. Thanks.

Ronnie Aloha
11-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Loved reading this issue. Great to read about thejumpingflea. I've enjoyed his music on youtube and it was nice to find out about his background.

Pippin
11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Loved reading this issue. Great to read about thejumpingflea. I've enjoyed his music on youtube and it was nice to find out about his background.

Matt is a good musician and I would not be surprised at all to see him playing on tour some day.

thejumpingflea
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I am so humbled and honored to be in an article! It has really meant so much to me.

Thanks so much to Pippin for such a wonderful opportunity.

Some awesome uke reviews in this one as usual. Thanks for making this mag, I have read each one and will continue to enjoy them!

existence
11-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Great magazine, I just read the new one cover to cover (so to speak), and will definitely be checking out the rest when I get time. The profile of Jumping Flea was really cool.

Jumping Flea, man, your cover of Thriller was fierce.

Also: me want Ohana pineapple.

Valerie
11-03-2009, 03:42 PM
I love the mag, too, and have been an avid reader.

That said: I'd love to see print versions! I know it's a free magazine- but I would totally pay some money to get a copy delivered to my door. (I hates reading things off of a computer screen...)

Ahnko Honu
11-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks! Wow, you must be up late (or early). Hope you enjoy the review of the Ohana pineapple. It really sounds great. For the money, I do think that it is the best deal going in a solid-wood pineapple.

Nah, was only 11:26 pm Hawai'i time. Excellent write up on the Ohana pineapple by the way, thanks! (I think). :D

Dominator
11-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Matt is a good musician and I would not be surprised at all to see him playing on tour some day.

I absolutely believe this will happen.

Thanks for all the effort you put into the magazine Pippin. So much good info in each issue.

bassfiddlesteve
11-03-2009, 04:07 PM
That article with Steve Boisen was awesome! We incorporate a bass player into our kanikapila, too. Ric

Thanks Ric, I hope others try the same thing. And thanks to you Pippin for including my contibution and for creating a special magazine for us uke fans.

- Steve

UkeMan09
11-03-2009, 04:58 PM
Is there a way to enter for the ukulele without setting up outlook? I really don't like outlook :rolleyes:

-UM :shaka:

bassfiddlesteve
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey Mickey, I just read the short piece entitled "Song Sharks". I have been approached by several of these scam artists via myspace and even by direct e-mail. :mad: Thank you for including this info in your magazine. Hopefully it will help prevent some folks from being swindled.

- Steve

Pippin
11-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Mickey, I just read the short piece entitled "Song Sharks". I have been approached by several of these scam artists via myspace and even by direct e-mail. :mad: Thank you for including this info in your magazine. Hopefully it will help prevent some folks from being swindled.

- Steve

Thanks for your comments, Steve. Years ago, the swindlers used to send "offers" via snail-mail. Now, it is all done by e-mail and you are right, most of them comb through the Facebook, MySpace, and YouTube accounts looking for musicians to scam. It's a shame. It should be illegal, unfortunately lots of people lose money on those "deals".

Rick Turner
11-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Again, major thanks, Pippin!

It's a good thing, that magazine...

mailman
11-04-2009, 02:58 PM
I love the mag, too, and have been an avid reader.

That said: I'd love to see print versions! I know it's a free magazine- but I would totally pay some money to get a copy delivered to my door. (I hates reading things off of a computer screen...)

:agree::agree:

I'm with you, Valerie! I've been printing each issue out on my computer printer, which I'm sure costs more than a published magazine. And my printer won't do front and back. :mad:

I like to take it with me....

KC8AFW
11-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for putting the effort you do into this magazine! This is an excellent publication. And thanks for turning me on to Steven Sproat...that guy is really good. And I want a Ukulele Player magazine hat.

uluapoundr
11-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks Pippin, cools stuff for sure!!

Congrats Matt, don't forget us when you hit it big! In fact can you mail me your autograph now?

Pippin
11-04-2009, 10:27 PM
I have had several people ask about the magazine being made into a printed publication. There are consequences when you turn to print.

First off, a magazine has to go to print about three months prior to the shipping date when it is in print. That makes deadlines far more critical. Second, any little typos cannot be corrected once the printer has the copy in hand. Third, not only is it expensive to print it, and color is outrageously expensive in a magazine of this sort, but distribution costs skyrocket, especially when a publication is designed to serve a "global community".

I envisioned a magazine with a PDF format to enable everyone to actually be able to print it with high-enough resolution to enjoy it and still have high enough quality images to be appealing, at the same time, the bandwidth would not be so stifling that I couldn't keep up with the demand.

I have been fortunate to have found that ideal point where the bandwidth requirements are good, the magazine is visually pleasant to read, and the text of an article is easy to follow for a cohesive publication.

If the magazine were in print, I would not be able to afford producing it. So, I guess that is the deciding factor. Being able to print it, at the end-user level, was a priority. That has been my rationale.

Mickey

Valerie
11-05-2009, 02:46 AM
And that makes perfect sense. Well, guess I'll just have to invest in a printer :)

rogue_wave
11-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Thank for putting all of your hard work into the magazine. I have enjoyed every issue- I love the reviews and especially enjoy learning more about some of the artists I have "met" through this community and YT.

After reading some of the comments regarding printed versions, I thought I would recommend taking a look at MagCloud. It is a print on demand service especially created for magazine format periodicals. You can upload your pdfs, create a pricing model and leave the fulfillment to them. Anyone who wants a print version can purchase it, where it will be printed (in color), bound and mailed. Paypal handles the money. It is really very easy and may ven generate a few dollars to keep the effort going.

Again, thank you so much for putting the magazine together.

Ian

cocohonk
11-05-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks, Pippin! I always look forward to reading this. And how cool to read thejumpingflea's interview!