UU Idol - Whose Playing Do You Admire?

Tsani

Reaction score
Do you have a UU idol? A member whose playing you particularly admire?

Let me make the following exceptions for people who are going to be admired by nearly everybody.

1. Don't say Jake. Everybody wants to be like Jake. He's a LEGEND.
2. Don't say Aldrine. Aldrine is more or less our collective sensei.

The person you name should be somebody that posts on UU. I am not exempting moderators - but let's not turn this into a kiss-up contest.

Here are mine -

1. I am becoming a huge fan of Craig Brandau. His sensitive jazz inspired interpretations of standards like "Shadow of Your Smile" and "Tenderly" knock my socks off. I will never be that good.
2. Rob MacKillop - Rob's rendering of lute and classical guitar pieces for the ukulele really fire me up to play better. I love the material he chooses. I hope someday I will have a repertoire of classical and renaissance pieces that I can play.
3. Jamie Holding - I owe Jamie a debt for tabbing a variety of classical pieces for uke. This the material that I work on for practice - along with some sacred music that I am working out on my own.

I know Julia Nunes posts here sometimes. I very much enjoy everything she does - although she falls into the category of professional musician these days and so does not really inhabit the same world as the rest of us amateurs. I would say that I have such a huge crush on her, but I am old and married so - the less said the better. :drool:

I also admire DeG - but he knows that. ;)

AnnaUK she's my rockin' Smurfette! :love::shaka:
Ken Middleton: My English gentleman uncle in the UK
RussBuss: He rocks Neil Young covers.
deach: He looks great in pink

Last edited:
my favourite is seeso ive been watching him from his first few videos,

then a started stalking him and secretly filming him from afar and never looked back... so far ive collected few hair samples too

I enjoy watching:

GX9901
thejumpingflea
Ken Middleton

I also enjoy all the others already mentioned but I just added on...

I admire Deach's playing because he has discovered the perfect playing style to match his vocals. It's unique. I don't think I could copy it.

I think that I'm still looking for my ukulele "voice".

my favourite is seeso ive been watching him from his first few videos,

then a started stalking him and secretly filming him from afar and never looked back... so far ive collected few hair samples too

Heck, you should have just called me. Want some of his spittle?

;)

As a player that doesn't post any vid's I have to say I admire anyone that is willing to put them selves out there for the world to see!!!!

It is hard to pick just one person... everyone here plays with a different style/flavor...That is like picking one jelly!!!!

So I've been lurking on this forums for a month or so, but this thread inspired me to make my first post, mostly because I was (pleasantly) surprised when I found out that a bunch of my "youtube idols" are members here.

So in no particular order:

Seeso
BaronK69
The Re-entrants
Julia Nunes
Danielle Ate The Sandwich
W64
AcousticMonster
casetone2514
KenMiddletonUkulele
Aldrine (I know he's hors concours, but I still mentioned him. I'm a rebel)

So I would like to thanks this guys and gals for inspiring me to pick up a ukulele, wich will happen (hopefully) soon.

Last edited:
So I've been lurking on this forums for a month or so, but this thread inspired me to make my first post, mostly because I was (pleasantly) surprised when I found out that a bunch of my "youtube idols" are members here.

So in no particular order:

Seeso
BaronK69
The Re-entrants
Julia Nunes
Danielle Ate The Sandwich
W64
AcousticMonster
casetone2514
KenMiddletonUkulele
Aldrine (I know he's hors concours, but I still mentioned him. I'm a rebel)

So I would like to thanks this guys and gals for inspiring me to pick up a ukulele, wich will happen (hopefully) soon.

Hey, welcome officially to UU! Remember to abide by "Rule 2"!:rulez:

I agree with a lot of the picks mentioned here - especially seeso's list. Dominator and facemeltingukulele almost go without saying and I was tempted to exempt them since almost everybody might list them, BUT a lot of other people are being mentioned too - so go ahead.

I would say this to Dominator and facemeltingukulele - anybody that plays much has got to admire your stuff.

And UKISOCIETY - you are on my list too. Your originality and sense of humor keep me smiling. :)

I cannot omit Ken Middleton. Ken's skill, his generosity, and his rendering of sacred music - including original works - is an inspiration to me.

Hey, welcome officially to UU! Remember to abide by "Rule 2"!:rulez:

Thanks for the welcome UKISOCIETY.

I mentioned that Aldrine is Hors Concours in a sense that he's in a league of his own, so it's more of a praise to his skills and less of a jab to the other equally talented people on that list.

I'm assuming you were serious and rule number 2 is "no artist bashing", if you were joking please ignore this post.

I don't want to start off on the wrong foot here

:(

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome UKISOCIETY.

I mentioned that Aldrine is Hors Concours in a sense that he's in a league of his own, so it's more of a praise to his skills and less of a jab to the other equally talented people on that list.

I'm assuming you were serious and rule number 2 is "no artist bashing", if you were joking please ignore this post.

I don't to start off on the wrong foot here

:(

Actually I forget what Rule 2 is. I know Rule 1 - Don't talk about Fight Club.
Was Rule 2 "pics, or it didn't happen" ?

Actually I forget what Rule 2 is. I know Rule 1 - Don't talk about Fight Club.
Was Rule 2 "pics, or it didn't happen" ?

Isn't Rule 2 in relation to UAS?...: "One possesses the ukulele, the other two crave it." ?

Ukulele Idols? geeze, a lot of good ones mentioned already. OH! Taimane Gardner!!

Wait, she's not a member. Too bad.

James Hill - Just for his innovation
Max The Ukulele Punk Rocker - He's mad & I love a bit of mad*!

I'm very bored of seeing the ukulele used for playing covers...I'd much rather see a mediocre original song than yet another note perfect cover
(and don't get me started on re-verb!)
I think it's the only way forward for the ukulele as an instrument rather than "that funny little toy he plays the Beatles song on"...I want to see people making the ukulele part of themselves.
Saying that...Max's version of "Debaser" is still one of the best things out there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sycwq_nBmfs

WOODSHED from Uke Hunt is also great and never gets enough credit both for the sterling work he does and for his playing.
His Uke-a-billy is ace-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlgM0MpczkU
And I'm amazed by his James Bond Theme:
http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/10/26/james-bond-theme/

Another man who never gets Credit is James Ward:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2DtqUanQns

*"mad & "zany" are not the same thing!!

Ok, I just thought of one, that Irish guy with the Chuck Taylor sneakers! :rock:

Top Bottom