Plastic Islander uke on Ebay - BEWARE!!

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
This uke is for sale on Ebay. The trouble is that it's got a steel string on it (C string). This would wear down the plastic frets and cause the top to perhaps separate from the body.

Just want you to be aware of this, if you're bidding on it. It's not my item, btw.

!BdvSZWg!2k~$(KGrHqIOKiwEq4bSsd8jBK6NsqF03!~~_3.JPG

It looks like it's a wound string, not solid. You can tell by the kink near the end and the fragment of winding sticking out. It could wear down plastic frets, but I doubt it would damage the body otherwise. From the picture, I can't even tell if they're even plastic frets. The color indicates metal. If they were plastic I'd expect them to be the same color as the fretboard. The light reflections on the body don't indicate any warpage of any kind. If it was, the lines would be distorted near the bridge. If it's as lightly used as they say, if I bought it to play I'd just change the strings and get on with it.

It looks like it's a wound string, not solid. You can tell by the kink near the end and the fragment of winding sticking out. It could wear down plastic frets, but I doubt it would damage the body otherwise. From the picture, I can't even tell if they're even plastic frets. The color indicates metal. If they were plastic I'd expect them to be the same color as the fretboard. The light reflections on the body don't indicate any warpage of any kind. If it was, the lines would be distorted near the bridge. If it's as lightly used as they say, if I bought it to play I'd just change the strings and get on with it.

The islanders are all plastic, except for the tuning pegs. The frets are painted silver. And I disagree about the string. It's wound, yes, but would with steel. I own a TV Pal that came from Ebay with a wound steel string like this and it's unplayable on the 2nd and 3 frets because of the wear from the string. The photo of the islander doesn't show a close up of those frets.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. My Islander is second from the left here:
3753978350_590837a2ea.jpg

Top Bottom