Has anyone heard of Nakulu Ukuleles

dab745

Reaction score
Hi all, I did a few quick searches on UU, but did not find anything. So I will start a thread at the risk of it being a repeat that I have not found.

I recently stumbled across the Nakula Ukulele. Is this a new brand? Has anybody else heard of it? Any info would be helpful?
thanks
Dave

Looking at the label from one of the photos, it says handcrafted in Waimanalo, Hawaii. Maybe one of of the local members can check it out. Their number is 808-554-2524. The site doesn't mention who the luthier is but links you to a Facebook site for Halemaumau Wilson. Not a Facebook member so I didn't go in. But as I've said in the Luthier Listing thread, there are a number of unknown builders in the 808 working one man operations and difficult to keep track of.

Looking at the label from one of the photos, it says handcrafted in Waimanalo, Hawaii. Maybe one of of the local members can check it out. Their number is 808-554-2524. The site doesn't mention who the luthier is but links you to a Facebook site for Halemaumau Wilson. Not a Facebook member so I didn't go in. But as I've said in the Luthier Listing thread, there are a number of unknown builders in the 808 working one man operations and difficult to keep track of.

Thanks! Hope to hear more info.
db

I just went to Mr. Wilson's Facebook and sent him a message about this thread. Hopefully, he'll join us and tell us all about those pretty ukes! :)

Waimanalo town is 10 minutes away from me, I go Bible meetings in Waimanalo twice a week. When I get time I go check um out. There's a 'ukulele store in Waimanalo I check out occasionally but never saw a Nakulu in there, first time I heard of them.

Yes, they look pretty nice!!:drool: In fact they claim that the turn around once the details are done is 60-90 days!! The tenor with curly Koa is $350!:) Could be something good and is now being uncovered!

A little disappointing that the specs for the concert (and baritone) call for "select koa", while the superconcert and the tenor call for "all solid koa".

"Select koa" means laminate, in my book. And concert is my preference in size....

Wonder why? :confused:

A little disappointing that the specs for the concert (and baritone) call for "select koa", while the superconcert and the tenor call for "all solid koa".

"Select koa" means laminate, in my book. And concert is my preference in size....

Wonder why? :confused:

I dunno, wait for Ahnko to check 'um out. It could be laminate, but may just be a Fox Paw* on the part of the webmaster.

*that's how we say "Faux Pas" in Georgia, wanna fight about it?!:D

I doubt it's laminate. I wouldn't think a small scale luthier would have the resources to purchase just small amounts of thin instrument grade Koa laminate. These guys also know solid wood equals quality perception wise so wouldn't use laminate even if locally available. I'm guessing he means a lesser grade of solid Koa

I doubt it's laminate. I wouldn't think a small scale luthier would have the resources to purchase just small amounts of thin instrument grade Koa laminate. These guys also know solid wood equals quality perception wise so wouldn't use laminate even if locally available. I'm guessing he means a lesser grade of solid Koa

I agree with Ahnko. I contacted Wai'olu ukes about making me a uke with Hawaiian Islands Chain sound holes and I was told they would use select koa which was a normal looking grain koa. I also know that Ko'olau is coming out with a new koa line using select koa that is going to be around 300 less than their current ukes.

Aloha guys!

Hey guys sorry it took so long for a reply.

My name is Halemaumau and I'm the maker of the Nakulu brand. Hopefully I can answer your questions. I'll be brief but will be pleased to expand upon any question if you like.

A little bit about myself. I am of Hawaiian ancestry and was born and raised in Waimanalo, HI, on what is called "Hawaiian homestead" land. I was introduced to lutherie about a dozen years ago when my father first conceived his Nakulu ukulele, today I carry the same label.

I work out of a small one man "shop" and while small I mill my own stock as well as dry koa and mango when it becomes available. On rare occasions I will purchase master grade tonewoods or if I see something that I absolutely must have I will buy from select mills. I do not use plywood or laminates in my instruments. "Select" woods simply refers to woods that make the grade but may not have outstanding figure or curl, and does not have the "wow" factor. A less confusing term may be "ordinary" for lesser grade solid koa.

A typical Nakulu ukulele is constructed in a traditional "Spanish" method where the neck is attached to the body during the first stages of assembly vs being attached by glue, dovetail, or a slotted key after being boxed.

My production runs are small, averaging a dozen or so instruments a year which is partly why you don't see my instruments in shops and retail stores. Tenor ukulele's are requested most often however I do produce concert models for display when time permits, coincidentally I do not have concert and baritone models in stock!

Okay I see I am seriously rambling on and on so I will end this post. If you have any questions please do so and ask!

Mahalo plenty,
Halemaumau

My name is Halemaumau and I'm the maker of the Nakulu brand. Hopefully I can answer your questions. I'll be brief but will be pleased to expand upon any question if you like.

A little bit about myself. I am of Hawaiian ancestry and was born and raised in Waimanalo, HI, on what is called "Hawaiian homestead" land. I was introduced to lutherie about a dozen years ago when my father first conceived his Nakulu ukulele, today I carry the same label.

I work out of a small one man "shop" and while small I mill my own stock as well as dry koa and mango when it becomes available. On rare occasions I will purchase master grade tonewoods or if I see something that I absolutely must have I will buy from select mills. I do not use plywood or laminates in my instruments. "Select" woods simply refers to woods that make the grade but may not have outstanding figure or curl, and does not have the "wow" factor. A less confusing term may be "ordinary" for lesser grade solid koa.

A typical Nakulu ukulele is constructed in a traditional "Spanish" method where the neck is attached to the body during the first stages of assembly vs being attached by glue, dovetail, or a slotted key after being boxed.

My production runs are small, averaging a dozen or so instruments a year which is partly why you don't see my instruments in shops and retail stores. Tenor ukulele's are requested most often however I do produce concert models for display when time permits, coincidentally I do not have concert and baritone models in stock!

Okay I see I am seriously rambling on and on so I will end this post. If you have any questions please do so and ask!

Mahalo plenty,
Halemaumau

Welcome to UU. I am glad that I was correct with my thinking of the select koa. Your ukes are beautiful and so is your hometown. I have always loved Waimanalo.

Hello and Welcome

Mahalo plenty,
Halemaumau

Hey there! Who knew my phone call from PA would generate so much discussion!
I am glad to see you as a part of UU! I hope you got my last email re: the super concert!
Chat soon.
Dave

Mahalo plenty,
Halemaumau

g'day and welcome, your ukes are truely beautiful and seem to have alot of love and care made into them, and i know have generated alot of interest includeing from me.... welcome welcome welcome

E Komo Mai. Brah! Mahalos for clearing up the subject of "select" and "solid" koa. Hopefully, this thread will generate interest in your builds and looking forward to more of your posts. We do have a Ukulele Building/Luthiers Lounge forum and I'm sure you'll recognize some of the names. I'm quite sure you'll feel comfortable in that environment.

BTW, get plenne local guys ova hea, so no shame, can wala'au wen you get time. Again, welcome!

Malama Pono . . .

One question: Do you make pineapples? :D
Two Questions: You went Pope Blanche Elem, Waimanalo School, and Kailua High? ;)

Eh Ahnko, whea you wen school? I wen Likelike, den Kalakaua and den Farrington . . . dat count? I know, I know . . . off topic.

Top Bottom