Mainland Concert Mahogany

bazmaz

Reaction score
Just had mine arrive from the wonderful Eagle Music - Huddersfield - UK.

Now, i am primarily a guitarist - own several, but it is just a hobby (not a profession) - as such, with guitars, i could never justify to myself (or my family) spending thousands on a new guitar.

It's the same for Uke's. Started with a laminate Vintage a while ago, and have spent the last 1.5 years playing a Flea. That is a great instrument with tremendous volume, but to my acoustic guitar playing ears, the plasticy bright sound was starting to make me think.

This morning, my new Mainland Concert arrived in gloss Mahogany finish. And what a pretty thing it is. Finish is pretty much flawless.

Some earlier reviews showed that frets were hidden in side of neck - sadly not on mine. Headstock though is lighter in colour than those I've seen reviewed (and I must say, that is to my preference)

Only niggle on finish is the grain on the top is slightly off centre which gives an optical illusion effect that the bridge is not on straight (it is).

As for the sound - I think it's lovely, and just what I was hankering for - my wife agrees (and she just normally rolls her eyes at my instruments). Hey, it's not a handmade hawaiian instrument, and I know that - but what it is, is a very nicely made, USA assembled instrument, in solid wood with a great sound.

Very (very) slightly quieter than my Flea, but such a warm lovely welcoming sound - great sustain too.

I'm totally hooked - just wish the full range were easier to find in the UK.

Comments welcomed!

P

Cool, congrats on the new ukulele. Which do you find easier to play, the Flea or the Mainland? I only ask because the Flea is the easiest player I've yet to try, but I haven't tried a Mainland. It seems like everyone's getting a Mainland here on UU, which tells me they must be pretty darn good...

Congratulations on your new uke. :)

Congrats! Good choice. I have one, too, and I have to say it is still my favorite. It just has such a distinctive voice.
Have fun!

easier to play - to be honest, I find them identical to play - and I have fat fingers!

Maybe its cos the Mainland feels more like a guitar (ie a wood neck, metal frets) that I feel at home with it. Maybe its cos it's a concert scale - my flea is a soprano.

I do love my flea, but now when I pick it up, it just sounds so plastic to my ears -the Mainland is warm and lovely!

new uke day is great. congrats! i just got my koaloha concert on tuesday and boy is she steaming.

Last edited:
I'm definitely falling in love with the Mainland ukes...The concert mahogany is beautiful......i should pull out the old credit card and get one hahah!! congrats!

Top Bottom