MAINLAND ukukele

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Right guys, I've been getting a lot of advice and recommendations of late to go for Mainland Uke, rather than my original choice of brand. Just wanted to put it to the vote and see how many of you play, or have played, Mainlands and what you think of them. Let me know their good points, their bad points if any, your general opinion on them, and what model/size you've played. I'm after a Concert myself. Well, lets see where this takes us...

Right guys, I've been getting a lot of advice and recommendations of late to go for Mainland Uke, rather than my original choice of brand. Just wanted to put it to the vote and see how many of you play, or have played, Mainlands and what you think of them. Let me know their good points, their bad points if any, your general opinion on them, and what model/size you've played. I'm after a Concert myself. Well, lets see where this takes us...

Well I just today received my Classic Mainland Mahogany Tenor with a pickup. And I have nothing bad to say about it lol it came strung with Aquila Nylgut strings and a gloss finish, it's absolutely beautiful to the eye and the ear. To me, the sound is amazing unamped so I can't wait to hear it with an amp.

I've only played the concert sized mango. What can I say? Its beautiful, setup was stellar, tuners are very good. Its got a beautiful voice, not high treble like spruce and not muddy either. Its louder than my old solid mahogany concert. Sounds great with either fingerpicking or strumming.

Faults? Ok, its almost TOO perfect...

edit: I thought of a fault! It came with Aquilas, YUCK!

>.< Are aquila's no good?

Worst strings EVER!

Actually, I have a love/hate thing goin on with Aquila. I love 'em when other people use 'em, but I hate playing 'em myself. I hate the feel of 'em. Don;t get me wrong, they are high quality, just not my cup of coffee.

I really like Aquila's. They're probably the loudest out there, and they just seem to sing. I didn't realize how much I liked them until I tried d'Addarios, which by no stretch of the imagination are bad strings, they just weren't as effervescent to me. Maybe better midrange tone, a cleaner tone, but it didn't sing to me.
Of course, I haven't tried Worth. From everything I hear, they're are most definitely "worth" a try after your Aquilas have worn out. I know I'm swappin'.

And to the feel thing, I can see how some people wouldn't like it, but my rather insensitive fingers had no troubles with them.

Last edited:
i've just received a gloss mahogany concert model - it looks great, sounds great, plays great, and was a great price.

You really cant go wrong with em in my view.

Mainland all the way - also recommend getting it straight from
Mike (hoosierhiver here on uu)! I got a concert mahagony goss just over a month ago and play it every day. Sounds great looks great. Lots of good info and positive reviews - just search forums for 'mainland'. Enjoy!

I have a Mainland Honeybee second that I love. Just ordered a mahogany slotted headstock concert yesterday. Mike is installing a Mi-Si pickup for me so it should ship today or tomorrow. Can't wait!!!!!!

I have a mahogany concert that is fabulous. The only thing I would change (and this is sooooo unimportant) is that I am not in love with the itty-bitty tuner knobs. But others are, and I like it as well as anything I have ever played.

I had a Honeybee second for about a week. I can't complain about it in any way, but it just wasn't love for me like the concert, so I sold it to John (Link on the forum here) who ROCKS that uke.

I can't think of any reason to recommend against getting a Mainland. I have a "K__" uke, and have played others, which are all they're cracked up to be, but I defy anyone to do better than a Mainland for that money.

Yeah, I got the mahogany concert gloss, too. There are some people and animals I like more than my mainland, but it is my very favorite thing.

If anything ever happened to it, I'd cry for the whole hour long drive down to Mike's shop and then I'd buy another.

When I was deciding on my first uke, Mike @ Uke Republic played the mahogany gloss concert over the phone against a $600 Ebony Pono and the Mainland skunked the Pono in my book. Just received my Christmas present last Wednesday - a mahogany gloss Mainland tenor w/MiSi pickup. Get you one. You'll never be sorry.

I have a mango tenor and I couldn't be happier with it. I sold my Big Island Ukulele Company tenor which was more than twice the price of my Mainland and I believe strongly that that decision was a good one. It sounds so much better and the set up is fantastic. Mike is awesome.

The only thing I didn't absolutely LOVE was the Aquillas. I switched to Worth clears with a low G and it sounds so good.

I own 2 Mainlands now...a mahogany concert gloss finish and a Honeybee soprano. I believe that Mainland is the best deal going currently. You get a really well constructed, nice sounding solid wood instrument for not a lot of cash.

Check out the Mainland Ukes Owners Group for pictures and videos done by members: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=22

I'll throw my hat in for mainland too. I have a concert mahogany with the slotted headstock, and it's awesome.

I can't think of any reason to recommend against getting a Mainland.

Well I can tell you what's keeping me from getting one: The rope binding.

Now granted, I've only seen Mainlands in pictures. Maybe I'd like it if I saw it in-person. Or maybe I'd fall so in love with the sound and/or playability that I'd be able to overlook the rope.

And, of course, that's just my personal preference. What really matters is whether or not you like the binding.

Everything else I've heard about the ukes, and the customer service, has been outstanding. The prices are great too.

*heavy sigh*

JJ

Last edited:
Top Bottom