PDA

View Full Version : I am beginning to get these emails...

Pete Howlett
11-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Here is one from someone who bought my 8th Island Koa Tenor:

Hey there Pete,

I just randomly decided to do a search on Island Koa and discovered just how special my ukulele actually is!

I graduated form Honokaa High School on the Big Island of Hawaii in 1996 and I was gifted with one of your tenor ukulele's from Music Exchange in Hilo. I can't tell you how much I love this ukulele! It was chosen by a friend of mine who was a professional musician. It is true quality.

The number on it - 0008. Doesn't that take you back a bit?

There was one thing that happened. A crack in the wood between the bridge and the sound hole was noted one day. I had also noticed that there was a high pitched "twang" that was heard when strumming loudly which I attributed to the crack. I had it fixed at a local music shop, but the sound is now muted a little bit. It still sounds better than most other ukulele's I've seen out there. I can only imagine what your ukuleles sound like today after making them for over 14 years!

I just wanted to thank you for bringing such wonderful instruments into the world, and for spreading the joyful sound of ukulele music!

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Now I wish I had the one from the guy in Akron whose wife, on his retirement, had me make him a replacement for his Harmony Baritone bought by his parents at his high school graduation. Is this a tradition in the US?

taylordb
11-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Yes Pete, all of us here in the US get a ukulele upon graduating from high school. A long tradition. Most of us just sell them at yard sales or on craigslist, only to regret it years later...usually around our 50th birthday, when we start looking for luthiers to build us an exact replica it. Some of us try to bypass the luthier and attempt to learn to build the replica ourselves :D

Pukulele Pete
11-04-2009, 12:58 AM
I graduated in 1968 and still have my graduation ukulele.

Blrfl
11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I graduated in the 1980s, when everyone was getting synth ukes.

--Mark

jinny
11-04-2009, 02:30 AM
i got a diploma when i graduated... no ukuluele :(

fromthee2me
11-04-2009, 04:21 AM
If there is a tradition, how did it come about???

wfwhitson
11-04-2009, 04:29 AM
i got a diploma when i graduated, than I got a letter from Uncle Sam, saying we need you boy. He gave me an airplane to fly, but than some A hole shot a hole in it so I had to jump out, and watch it go boom as I floated down.

thistle3585
11-04-2009, 05:49 AM
I gave one to my niece when she graduated last year. She took it to college with her and I guess its attracted a lot of attention.

Its really neat to get emails like that from customers.

Pete Howlett
11-04-2009, 06:08 AM
It is humbling..

SailorQwest
11-04-2009, 07:33 AM
Graduation gift - Tradition.
Ukulele - Not when/where I graduated.

I think I got a sweater.;)

Kaneohe til the end
11-04-2009, 10:25 PM
funny story, i got half of my KoAloha tenor for graduation, i paid for the other half. 7 months later, i end up working there.

uluapoundr
11-05-2009, 11:23 AM
i got a diploma when i graduated, than I got a letter from Uncle Sam, saying we need you boy. He gave me an airplane to fly, but than some A hole shot a hole in it so I had to jump out, and watch it go boom as I floated down.

Too funny, the response that is, not the part being shot at. You guys crack me up! BTW, thanks for your service!