Cherrynino...

Always been a big fan of British comedy. So is there a name for a three string uke? Or is it simply, "A three string uke?"

Those things are cool as hell! :iwant:

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing that. By far that is the most unique instrument I have seen here. And it sounds excellent, too.

You must make more!

If it is not patented already, you should do so.

Very different to me, and original from what I have learned and seen so far (2 years of reading BB's and tuition). I have learned that you can always pick your way through a song when you use the CEA strings by grabbing the applicable chords you would normally use when you strum a song (I hope I said that right) But because i have learned how to grab moveable chords, I think I would have to get used to the three string uke because there will be a string "missing" for my muscle memory to become confused. It could also be that my left hand knows what to do?? but I am guessing here. Thank you for the youtube clip.

Thay are fun but a begger to right from a design point of view... I'm struggling to get the neck wider for 4 strings.

its tuned CEA right?

What's up with y'all. Cant you hear it is tuned 3 steps up? If you are going to shorten the scale length you have to do 2 things:
  • Widen the fingerboard
  • Increase the string pitch or put heavier guage strings on it
In trying to resolve the first issue I removed a string...

Pete has included two "y'all"s in this thread. I think that officially makes him a Southern US'er. Welcome.

That is SO awesome, I want one too. 3 strings... works on the Balalaika, Shamisen, Sanshin, why not on a 'Ukulele too?

Dave G. if you ever make a sopranino pineapple please let me know! :D

Hmm... I may be interested in one of those if you start offering them, Pete...

And your friend reminded me heavily of the Swedish Chef from The Muppet Show. Which is awesome.

...it is tuned 3 steps up...

So Eb, G, C?

`u could move the strings around and tune it CEA but with a high C. That would save a bit of brain-ache with the transposition. I find re-entrant tuning for a 3 stringed intrument appealingly eccentric.

So what do you think the three string tuning will be, on today's episode of "Cherrynino" dear listeners? If you tune in tomorrow at the same time and the same frequency, there will be another episode of Cherrynino. All jokes aside, I did not even pick up that this instrument was tuned 3 steps up, nor did I know about the other measures you have to think of that Pete mentioned. But (thinking soprano and concert sizes etc) can three strings also be fitted to these normal sized ukes, and how would the strings be tuned?

Three half steps - my bad. I originally tuned it so the 003 chord was E. Heck - tune the darn thing how you like, I just build 'em!

Yes they will be for sale but you will be disappointed - they are as expensive as a standard soprano to build...

I am working otwards a one string, Seasicj Steve style diddly bow ukulele but I'm gonna see how these cherryninos go first. I don't think there is a clear market for a 2 string version...

I had to look this up, From Wikipedia: The diddley bow is an American string instrument of African origin. It is typically homemade, consisting usually of a wooden board and a single wire string stretched between two screws, and played by plucking while varying the pitch with a metal or glass slide held in the other hand.

The diddley bow is significant to blues music in that many blues guitarists got their start playing it as children, as well as the fact that, like the slide guitar, it is played with a slide.

A notable performer of the instrument was the Mississippi blues musician Lonnie Pitchford, who used to demonstrate the instrument by stretching a wire between two nails hammered into the wood of a vertical beam making up part of the front porch of his home. Pitchford's headstone, placed on his grave in 2000 by the Mt. Zion Memorial Fund, is actually designed with a playable diddley bow on the side as requested by Pitchford's family.

Recent performers who use similar instruments include New York City-based jazz pianist Cooper-Moore, American bluesman Seasick Steve, One String Willie, One String Sam, and blind musician Velcro Lewis. Jack White makes one at the beginning of the movie It Might Get Loud.

Top Bottom