Flukes/Fleas offered with PegHead Tuners

psesinkclee

Reaction score
Just noticed ont he FleaMarketMusic store online that they now have an option to add PegHead planetary tuners (look like friction tuners but have built in gears) from the factory!

I personally have no problems with friction tuners, but this might be a plus to those who hate them (and I know you are out there...) :D

very cool...

69 bucks is a lot though.

I have no issue with the fricition tuners.

A pimped out high end concert flea with peg heads and rosewood fret board sure aint cheap.

Last edited:
personally, I still hate friction tuners, and have instruments that make me tear hair out.

That said, i bought a Flea 12 months ago with friction tuners, and I must say, they are an absolute dream. They tune accurately, and my flea rarely slips out of tune..

As such, think that they are suggesting a hellova price for the "upgrade".

Fluke / Flea friction pegs are fine as they are in my book!

I think the price reflects the true difference in cost between the cheap friction pegs that are standard and the pegheds, which last I heard retailed for $100 a set.

For me, the big attraction to the pegheds is the ability to get geared tuners without the "Ears" look, and the general aesthetic. Because of the Flea/Fluke headstock design I don't think either will be the case.

Has anyone replaced there friction tuners with geared tuners on their Fluke/Flea? Should work fine since Tangi has been doing it on his similar headstock design for years.
3n63p83l45T45R75S39b4ff61fb44bfd21b.jpg

$69 actually isn't that bad; some folks charge over $100 for the option.

I'd still stick with the friction tuners and save the money, though, because the stock tuners aren't that bad and I was disappointed with the look and feel of the PegHeds in person.

Has anyone replaced there friction tuners with geared tuners on their Fluke/Flea? Should work fine since Tangi has been doing it on his similar headstock design for years.
3n63p83l45T45R75S39b4ff61fb44bfd21b.jpg

Apparently it doesn't work well. It's a lot more work than it should be, so nobody does it.

It took me less than a day to get used to friction tuners. Now they're no biggie to work with, and they're great at holding their tuning.

But this is a smart option for the Fluke company to offer, since some people are so violently opposed to friction tuners.

Here's a pic they have now with the PegHead Tuners on it:

Peghed%20Tuners.jpg

I played a Fluke and a Flea for the first time ever on Tuesday and I have two things to say about them...

1.) They are freaking amazing instruments and they sounded about a million times more uke-like than my koa lam Mitchell (I've long since admitted that my current uke sucks)

2.) I never had used friction tuners before I played those two instruments, and I must say, I enjoyed them... not sure why, but they are simple, hold the tune great, and they look pretty good.

Apparently it doesn't work well. It's a lot more work than it should be, so nobody does it.

Really? Where did you hear that from? I can't see nor understand why it wouldn't work. Looks super easy to install to me. Any details? Here's what the above link stated:

First of all, I really wanted to change the standard friction tuners on the Flea to geared tuners, so I can get a more precise tuning. We set out to find a good replacement geared tuner and surprisingly, because of the tight spacing on the Flea's head, we had trouble finding a tuner small enough to fit. But, with a lot of internet searching, we finally found the Sperzel Ultra-Lite Open Back Tuners in black. Then, with "just a little" modification to the head: like removing the old tuners and plugging their holes, and then drilling new holes for the new tuners, they work perfectly, although the tuning pegs stick out towards the back now!

Looks pretty good to me. ;)
FlukeGeared.jpg

I played a Fluke and a Flea for the first time ever on Tuesday and I have two things to say about them...

1.) They are freaking amazing instruments and they sounded about a million times more uke-like than my koa lam Mitchell (I've long since admitted that my current uke sucks)

2.) I never had used friction tuners before I played those two instruments, and I must say, I enjoyed them... not sure why, but they are simple, hold the tune great, and they look pretty good.

This is great news, as I doubt I'll ever get to try one out in person before getting one. The other reason I think it'd be good for me to have a Fluke or a Flea is that I wouldn't have to worry about the low humidity thing...I don't think. I'll phone and ask them about it, though, just to be sure.

I don't think I want to "pimp" a plain one out myself, and I don't see a design that looks girly enough for me yet. Maybe they'll come out with some other designs in the next few months--I hope!

CountryMouse

This is great news, as I doubt I'll ever get to try one out in person before getting one. The other reason I think it'd be good for me to have a Fluke or a Flea is that I wouldn't have to worry about the low humidity thing...I don't think. I'll phone and ask them about it, though, just to be sure.

I don't think I want to "pimp" a plain one out myself, and I don't see a design that looks girly enough for me yet. Maybe they'll come out with some other designs in the next few months--I hope!

CountryMouse

The fluke and flea are, in my opinion, the most consistent quality built uke around. I have yet to hear, or know of a 'bad egg'. I highly recommend them.

Oh that's great news for the people who really didn't like the regular friction tuners. And I'll admit that they're not optimal and a bit more accuracy would be nice, but I'm just not willing to drop that kind of money for the upgrade. And I feel like plain vanilla plastic friction tuners are just simpler and more durable, which adds to the character of the Fluke (not saying Pegheads are not durable, but just more complex)

CountryMouse

Honestly, for the price, they are simply amazing... I can honestly say that the Fluke was the best uke I have actually played to date (keep in mind, there aren't many ukes floating around my area of any quality.)

They were mostly, if not all, plastic and looked great, I highly recommend one. You can also have them sent you a top and you can design it yourself and send it back for them to finish the uke.

Honestly, for the price, they are simply amazing... I can honestly say that the Fluke was the best uke I have actually played to date (keep in mind, there aren't many ukes floating around my area of any quality.)

They were mostly, if not all, plastic and looked great, I highly recommend one. You can also have them sent you a top and you can design it yourself and send it back for them to finish the uke.

OMG, how much more does it cost to design one, though?? That would be so utterly cool!! Do you have to be artistic to do this?

CountryMouse

OMG, how much more does it cost to design one, though?? That would be so utterly cool!! Do you have to be artistic to do this?

CountryMouse

I sent them an email asking if they could send me just the top and they said yeah, it would cost about $8 for me to receive the top. They didn't say how much it would be altogether, but I'm thinking the regular price + $8 and shipping back to the factory.

I wouldn't say you have to be artistic, I am going to do it so that my friends can write on/sign the top before I move away. That way I have something from them forever.

Top Bottom