PDA

View Full Version : Fret Slotting Mitre Box

Matt Clara
11-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Who has built his or her own whiz bang fret slotting mitre box, and is dying to share the easy-to-follow plans with us?!?

Any suggestions in the fret slotting category in general are also welcome.

cornfedgroove
11-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I use this...about 30 minutes of work, scrap wood and maybe $1.50 for bolts etc.

RonS
11-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Nice Cornfed!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Matt, check your PM inbox.

cornfedgroove
11-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Nice Cornfed!
thanks man...that is encouraging. I've been actually considering dropping the dime for a legit one. There's no real reason to this other than a slightly increased precision. I've been teaching classes and need a few more, but I'm afraid to try another...I kinda think I got lucky on this one lol, even though it was first try.

dave g
11-05-2009, 01:40 PM
http://www.wsukes.com/temp/newfrets.jpg

Doug
11-05-2009, 03:16 PM
What kind of saw is that Dave?
Doug

Dominator
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Any suggestions in the fret slotting category in general are also welcome.

From what I have read in some of recent posts it appears you are gearing up to make multiples and not just one or two. I may be a sissy but I bought one of the aluminum miter boxes from Stew Mac and after about the 3rd FB my wrist and forearm were toast. That's when I invested in the slotting blade kit from LMI. For me that is the only way to accomplish this task.

Dave G's forearm must be a rock by now doing the hundreds he has by hand. I tip my hat to ya.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm with you Dom. I'm not interested in getting Popeye forearms.
The next step up of course in the power slotting blade. If you've got a table saw, the jig can be made for next to nothing and the blade itself is less expensive than the StewMac miter box and hand saw (I think.)

dave g
11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
What kind of saw is that Dave?
Doug

One of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39273 modified a bit :)

cornfedgroove
11-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I'm with you Dom. I'm not interested in getting Popeye forearms.
The next step up of course in the power slotting blade. If you've got a table saw, the jig can be made for next to nothing and the blade itself is less expensive than the StewMac miter box and hand saw (I think.)

what jig? I think I've seen a graphic on this before...does anyone got any real life photos?

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
11-05-2009, 05:05 PM
It's a simple sled that slides on the runner slots of your table saw. I'm closing up shop now but I'll post pics tomorrow if I remember.

Dominator
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Here is a pic of my sled. They don't have to be this large but I use this one for other crosscut jobs as well. The blade, the stabilizers and the templates came as a set from LMI. A bushing comes with the system that I installed in the block of wood that is attached via the clamps. The metal guide pin goes through the bushing and drops into the slots in the plexi template which indexes each cut.

You can also make additional custom scale length templates yourself from Plexi using the fretting saw blade to make the cuts. It is a very delicate operation to make sure you lay out the template and cut precisely where you need to. I filed the opposite end of the guide pin to a point so it could drop into the narrow kerf that the saw blade made in the plexi template.

The FB is attached to the template with dual stick tape.

http://www.dominator.ukeland.com/Images/slotting_jig.JPG

Dave Higham
11-06-2009, 12:40 AM
It all depends, of course, whether you're gearing up for production runs or you're a slow hobby maker like me who only slots one or two fingerboards per year. I suppose it also depends how much you can afford to spend.

Anyway mine looks like this:
http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/david33_01/Acoustic%20Bass%20Guitar%201/Acbass196.jpg

The strip of wood stuck to the blade with double sided tape is a depth stop. The brass rod under the saw handle pushes in to locate in the slot in the plexi template. I don't have Popeye arms, I just let the saw do the work. Those Japanese saws are very good.