PDA

View Full Version : I need "first Uke" advice

Paisa
11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Hello all. I've played the guitar for about 2 years now (tho I never took lessons) and I want to buy my first Uke now.

The biggest problem I have is that I live in S. America (Argentina) and I have absolutely no shops here that will sell Ukes.. so I have to buy it from Ebay. The thing is, that having to pay $50 for shipping makes me want to get the best I want now instead of getting a really cheap Uke and then upgrading to a better one (since it also wouldnt be my first instrument really..)

So, I have as little as $120 to spend just on the Uke (the shipping is already covered). I want to know if there are any solid tops Ukes for that price.. otherwise I was thinking of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SALE-Flame-mahogany-Kala-SOPRANO-Ukulele-KA-SEM-w-case_W0QQitemZ330373217195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item4cebc73bab

What do you say? Thank you.

UkeMan09
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Great uke. Looks amazing, sounds great, nice case included.. What more could ask for? Plus MGM has great customer service, and he makes the uke even better!

-UM :shaka:

Paisa
11-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Cool nice start :P One question. You know how Aldrine Uke "shines"? Is it a special kind of varnish or what? You can especially notice it in the headstock.. Thanks.

UkeMan09
11-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not too sure how he does that.. very cool effect though!

-UM :shaka:

Brewerpaul
11-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I just got that uke yesterday, after ordering it on Tuesday from MGM: talk about FAST service. Heckuva deal.
So far, with only about a half hour playing time, I LOVE IT.
I know, no pics, it didn't happen. I'll post a few this weekend

Paisa
11-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Ok I just bought it. Wonder how much will it take to arrive to S America :P

seeso
11-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Cool nice start :P One question. You know how Aldrine Uke "shines"? Is it a special kind of varnish or what? You can especially notice it in the headstock.. Thanks.

It's a high-gloss finish.

Ok I just bought it. Wonder how much will it take to arrive to S America :P

Congrats! Let us know when it comes in.

Paisa
11-06-2009, 04:15 AM
It's a high-gloss finish.

Congrats! Let us know when it comes in.

Yeah, sure will :P And can you send a Uke to a luthier or something to get that finish? I love it :P

kissing
11-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Yeah, sure will :P And can you send a Uke to a luthier or something to get that finish? I love it :P

I'm not sure glossing up a non-glossy ukulele is a good idea (?)

It would be best to get a ukulele that already comes with that finish.
For instance, Mainland ukuleles come with the option of being glossed, and I hear great things about their ukes:
http://www.mainlandukuleles.com/
But they might be a tiny bit out of price range..

Here's a nice Kala from MGM with gloss finish
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KALA-KA-CG-Gloss-Mahogany-Concert-Ukulele-Case-Setup_W0QQitemZ250523113879QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54575997

Gloss finish is nice... so shiny :)

Paisa
11-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Ohh. Why it may affect the sound? What is it some kind of varnish or what?

Look I found something:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_get_a_high_gloss_finish_on_a_guitar

I wouldnt do it on my only instrument.. maybe.. :P It's so tempting.

Lori
11-06-2009, 10:28 AM
The Kala looks great! And if it is anything like the Kala Kiwi (which is a laminated mahogany), I think you will love it.

Those Mainland ukes are really great too. I am a big fan of the gloss finish. And they have a very good sparkly high end range.

I have heard of conflicting reports about matte vers gloss. Many say it makes no difference.

–Lori

Paisa
11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
The Kala looks great! And if it is anything like the Kala Kiwi (which is a laminated mahogany), I think you will love it.

Those Mainland ukes are really great too. I am a big fan of the gloss finish. And they have a very good sparkly high end range.

I have heard of conflicting reports about matte vers gloss. Many say it makes no difference.

–Lori

Hmm maybe I should ask Aldrine.. I see some are sold in a spray bottle so it'd make it easier.. I'll send him an email. Well I'll let you know once it arrives. Cant wait.