Can you please help me choose which ukulele to buy.

Paolo2299

Reaction score
Which one is good based on:
Sound
Bang for buck
Playability
etc...

Kala KA-SC - $275 (New Zealand Dollars)
Kala KA-T- $180 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LU-21T- $180 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LU-21TE- $230 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai CKT-$300-350 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LFMC - $300 (New Zealand Dollars)

This will be my 3rd ukulele
My first one is a cheap Soprano $30 NZ dollars so about 10-15 US dollars
My 2nd one is a Lumanog Concert Ukulele for about $80 NZ dollars

Im nearly a intermediate player but I can still be recognise as beginner
My budget is $300 NZ dollars

I really want a good one that can last me and good tone etc..

Im 13 years Old

Last edited:
Well I'm a beginner and havent gotten my first Uke yet but I guess whatever comes with a solid top will sound better than all laminated. Tho the Koa Ukes are so beautiful.. I think I would get a laminated Koa rather than a solid spruce :p

If someone minds telling me by the way, what's the advantage of having a solid neck? Sound?

Last edited:
Which one is good based on:
Sound
Bang for buck
Playability
etc...

Kala KA-SC - $275 (New Zealand Dollars)
Kala KA-T- $180 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LU-21T- $180 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LU-21TE- $230 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai CKT-$300-350 (New Zealand Dollars)
Lanikai LFMC - $300 (New Zealand Dollars)

This will be my 3rd ukulele
My first one is a cheap Soprano $30 NZ dollars so about 10-15 US dollars
My 2nd one is a Lumanog Concert Ukulele for about $80 NZ dollars

Im nearly a intermediate player but I can still be recognise as beginner
My budget is $300 NZ dollars

I really want a good one that can last me and good tone etc..

Im 13 years Old

well my friend, you've chosen two really good entry level brands. My only real way of choosing an instrument is to try it out and see which one feels "right"....whether it be an inexpensive or expensive uke the instrument really chooses the player not the other way around...i for one have a preference of the concert sizes....and I have actually tried both the kala and lanikai..I found i like the sound of the kala but the feel of lanikai...its a predicament...but If i had to choose I would choose the KALA brand...

good luck uke hunting:)

Well first off what size are you looking for? I see concerts and tenors, have you tried a tenor, if you could that would be a good idea. Secondly, always shoot for the uke with a solid top. A solid top will project better and sound better than any laminated uke in that price range. So out of that list I would go for the kala ka-sc or if you want a tenor the kala ka-st, both solid spruce tops and nice gloss finishes and great sounds

your 13!?
where are you getting so much money?
anyways,
i own the lanikai 21TE
if your looking to get this model, DON'T pay the extra money for the electric, it's NOT worth it. just get the acoustic, because:

the preamp/pickup runs on a 9 volt battery and runs out pretty quick,
&my preamp actually somtimes lifts out of the ukulele, leaving a gaping hole at the
top.

but other then that, the lanikai 12 t is pretty good, mine came with aquila strings and it sounds soo nice.

It really depends on what YOU want in a ukulele.
Preference in Ukulele could be as personal as choosing a girlfriend/boyfriend.
Its different for everybody.

For instance, I don't think Solid ukuleles are always the best choice.
My first two 'good' ukulele purchases were both solid (an all-solid and a solid-top). I've sold them both and have replaced them with laminates, which I now prefer because I really love not being bothered with maintaining a humidifier or worrying about it cracking/drying out. I'm happy with laminate sound too, and feel that it also lets me get away with practicing at night. I know solids do sound "better" when compared side to side, but this difference doesn't really bother me.

And I always prefer it being electric with an active preamp for its versatility. Plugging a uke to a guitar amp and rocking out makes me very happy. And if I want to perform live through a mixer and large sound system, I will also be able to plugin without bothering with an external preamp to boost the signal (which would be the case for a passive electric ukulele).

Many people will not have the same tastes as me in ukulele, and you may not either.
But hey, that's the beauty of ukuleles! Who cares - just follow your heart and get the kind of uke that you know you'll be most happy sharing your life with.

Last edited:
Can you play any of these or at least a similar model from the brands?

Try to elminate based on size (do you want a tenor or a concert)? Since you have a concert and soprano, how do they feel when you play them? The tenor may feel a bit long, if you are comfortable with concerts and sopranos.

Next, do you want an electric pick up? Might be good, but then you need to buy an amp.

Listen to youtube samples of folks play these uke (if you can).

Add it all up and take your best shot. This won't be your last uke.:)

BTW if you don't like what you picked you can always sell it and start over.

Top Bottom