PDA

View Full Version : Aldrine lies!

takesuoutswitch
11-06-2009, 09:13 AM
The way he teaches, gitara, out of my league, and tetris, is NOT the way he plays them! I want to play them like him! I think i figured tetris out, but i really want to know what he does in gitara, that song is beautiful, but he waters it down so much for the play along, its ridiculous.

Any help figuring it out would be greatly appreciated!

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
you find your own tree :p

deach
11-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I have all the tabs for all the songs you want. And these tabs are the advanced tabs for the "real" way he plays it. I also have made a tutorial going over the tabs. I'd give them to you but I'd hate to have one note wrong and risk you calling me a liar. Besides, someone as skilled as yourself wouldn't need a lesson.

Aldrine Guerrero
11-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I have all the tabs for all the songs you want. And these tabs are the advanced tabs for the "real" way he plays it. I also have made a tutorial going over the tabs. I'd give them to you but I'd hate to have one note wrong and risk you calling me a liar. Besides, someone as skilled as yourself wouldn't need a lesson.

Did you ever know that you're my hero?

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I'd give them to you but I'd hate to have one note wrong and risk you calling me a liar.
No one would ever call you a liar!!! Please post for this dude...

Give me liberty or give me deach!!!

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Aldrine = glory.
Deach = strength.

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Wow, Aldrine. You go out of your way to help someone, for free I might add, and this is the thanks you get? Maybe what he meant was: :bowdown:

Aldrine Guerrero
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow, Aldrine. You go out of your way to help someone, for free I might add, and this is the thanks you get? Maybe what he meant was: :bowdown:

Cant please everyone :D

Rzr
11-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Cant please everyone :D

The amount and quality of stuff you've put out there for everyone to use is much appreciated by me! Thank you.:)

haole
11-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Aldrine is actually the head of a vast conspiracy to keep ukulele players from getting so good that they might one day rival or surpass his abilities. His free lessons and play-alongs aren't actually meant to help you learn a song and push you towards being able to make up your own ideas; he actually wants you to suck at the ukulele so his own playing will look that much more impressive by comparison. ;)

Either that, or you could just ask him what he's playing in the Song Help forum and I'm pretty sure he'll help you out. :3

Aldrine Guerrero
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Because the level of appreciation has been set high so far :3

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Aldrine is actually the head of a vast conspiracy...
:eek: ...Now that you mention it, has anyone ever seen Aldrine and Deach in the same room together?

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

thejumpingflea
11-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Because the level of appreciation has been set high so far :3

Well, if it means anything....

I appreciate all you have done. I definitely wouldn't be playing the uke like I do now without all the great lessons and material you have put out. Thank you Aldrine!

Ahnko Honu
11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
We all lie at least once a day, and usually in bed.

Rubbertoe
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
perhaps "lies" was the wrong word to use (somewhat offensive, yeah?). what he has to understand is you can't just throw out lessons with supreme Aldrine-aucity from day one (or even day 365) - all you'd get is a bunch of new/intermediate players who would be to discouraged even try. Have you ever been to a music recital for 1st and 2nd grade piano students? Not the greatest way to spend 2 hours (unless they're your own children and then it's the greatest thing ever presented to humankind). Can you imagine taking your first-ever piano lesson and the instructor played you a Mozart concerto right off the bat and then said "Ok, now you do it"? Or a Santana solo for your first-ever guitar lesson? Personally, after that, I'd be thinking my musical talent would peak with the spoons or moonshine jug. It's all about baby steps. Just look at all the Uke Minutes. Each one sorta builds on previous ones and then gets applied to one or more lessons. That's how to teach. That's how to be a good instructor. You give your students as much as they can handle to make it a challenge - enough to keep them interested and wanting more. Come to think of it, that's how you become a good drug dealer too... no wonder I have 17 ukuleles.

kalmario
11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
2nd that, you inspired me to bust out 'down under' many times and the lesson on 'maria maria' was way cool.

and while i'm at it, hey sesso i was busting out bob's 'i shot the sherrif' because of you this morning.

and big shout out to however tabbed out banana pancakes too.

Cliff

Ahnko Honu
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
:eek: ...Now that you mention it, has anyone ever seen Aldrine and Deach in the same room together?

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

Yup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FQvTFzl9M

UkuleleHill
11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
We all lie at least once a day, and usually in bed.

:smileybounce:

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Yup. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FQvTFzl9M
OMG!!! That's friggin' hi-larious! Thanks for "clearing" things up! (...nudge, nudge, wink, wink...;))

Aldrine Guerrero
11-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, if it means anything....

I appreciate all you have done. I definitely wouldn't be playing the uke like I do now without all the great lessons and material you have put out. Thank you Aldrine!

hahaha thanks! My comment was for the person I quoted.

You know I love you guys :3

cornfedgroove
11-06-2009, 11:45 AM
if he tried to teach us the way he played them, there would be alot more threads saying "hey bra, can you dumb it down a little for us...you playing pro-style brudda"

seeso
11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
and while i'm at it, hey sesso i was busting out bob's 'i shot the sherrif' because of you this morning.

Right on, Cliff! Glad someone's getting some use out of it.

Playscool39
11-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Without the help of this great forum and members, I would be a lost soul wondering how to get some decent sound out of an uke. So thanks to all of you!:worship:

Paisa
11-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Yeah and Aldrine also doesnt want to give me his hat :iwant:

specialmike
11-06-2009, 02:12 PM
to the op: Did you ever think you just aren't good enough..... yet. If the majority can do it and you can't, chances are you are inadequate, not Aldrine's lessons.

mangorockfish
11-06-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm an ultra noob, about a month and a week and I owe the most of what I know now to Aldrine. Thank you bro and keep up the good work at least for those of us who appreciate you and what you are doing.

takesuoutswitch
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Aldrine,

I am monumentally sorry. T_T"

I didn't mean to sound like such a douche. I appreciate all the videos, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be playing.

I never meant to say you were a bad teacher, or that I'm too good for your lessons, just that I'm not good enough to figure out how you actually play them by myself and wanted help.

Again, I'm sorry. :'(

leftovermagic84
11-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Aldrine,

I didn't mean to sound like such a douche. I appreciate all the videos, if it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be playing.

I never meant to say you were a bad teacher, or that I'm too good for your lessons, just that I'm not good enough to figure out how you actually play them by myself and wanted help.

hugsies :)

Aldrine Guerrero
11-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Aldrine,

No worries bro! :D

Duddles
11-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Deach, stop being so awesome for awhile, I'm not allowed to give you any more reputation points! :-(

sukie
11-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Aldrine MAKES it look easy because he's so good. He didn't get to be that good overnight. We can't either.

Hidden Character
11-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Those lessons are great. The reason Aldrine gives only the most basic form is for one thing, there's a time constraint on them. Of course that's not all (nor is it the most important.) The idea is to just give us a basic idea of the song and let us figure the rest out. Gitara was the second song I learned on the uke, and I'll tell you now, the way I play it isn't the way Aldrine showed it. Now I do some fancy picking, added ghost notes and all other kinds of ukulele shenanigans!

In other words, don't see the lessons as "dumbed down." Rather, see it as something as a basic mold which YOU can add your own spin to!

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Aldrine MAKES it look easy because he's so good. He didn't get to be that good overnight. We can't either.
:agree:

That's the definition of a Master: One who makes the impossible look easy.

JT_Ukes
11-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Werd .

mrUKETOBER
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
The way he teaches, gitara, out of my league, and tetris, is NOT the way he plays them! I want to play them like him! I think i figured tetris out, but i really want to know what he does in gitara, that song is beautiful, but he waters it down so much for the play along, its ridiculous.

hey brah ... ever heard of somethin called creativity ? or maybe the word improvise ? you cant have everything spoon fed to you.. sometimes you actually gotta work for something.. use effort.. on that note..

i think the songs aldy teaches are pretty darn close to how they go. and if you dont think so then maybe you should figure it out yourself and quit watching his way if you are gonna hate on him for helping out people for FREE...

btw YOU rock aldy !

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 05:00 PM
perhaps "lies" was the wrong word to use (somewhat offensive, yeah?). what he has to understand is you can't just throw out lessons with supreme Aldrine-aucity from day one (or even day 365) - all you'd get is a bunch of new/intermediate players who would be to discouraged even try. Have you ever been to a music recital for 1st and 2nd grade piano students? Not the greatest way to spend 2 hours (unless they're your own children and then it's the greatest thing ever presented to humankind). Can you imagine taking your first-ever piano lesson and the instructor played you a Mozart concerto right off the bat and then said "Ok, now you do it"? Or a Santana solo for your first-ever guitar lesson? Personally, after that, I'd be thinking my musical talent would peak with the spoons or moonshine jug. It's all about baby steps. Just look at all the Uke Minutes. Each one sorta builds on previous ones and then gets applied to one or more lessons. That's how to teach. That's how to be a good instructor. You give your students as much as they can handle to make it a challenge - enough to keep them interested and wanting more. Come to think of it, that's how you become a good drug dealer too... no wonder I have 17 ukuleles.

The technical term for your post is SCAFFOLDING.

generem
11-06-2009, 05:38 PM
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Aldrine at the Huntington Beach Jam this August. I was sitting right beside him when he played Me & Shirley T. Seeing his hand move that fast close up was more than amazing... I would probably give up in a heartbeat if he tried to teach that song exactly how he played it or it would take about 15 months for me to figure out the 1st 30 seconds of the song..

Keep up the Good work AG.. I truly appreciate You :D

Haha.. Here is the vid that proves it.. Im the guy to his right :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbIvR9MB1U

ainokeato
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Oh yeah? Give me three wishes and i'll prove you wrong!

lol yeah, seriously though, :) AG has been playing for "years" he has his own unique style of playing, just as everyone does, no two people are exactly alike. So asking him to teach you the exact way he plays something, is like asking god to make you exactly the same way someone else was, same experiences in the exact same way etcetera. Each person plays their own way, besides who would even want to play like AG when you can be unique and play like yourself? (No offense meant Aldrine lol :P) You'll never get anywhere if you're following everyone but yourself.

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Music is supposed to have personal touch on it. No need to play it the way the original songwriter plays it. Its already been done that way. Do it your way.

beeejums
11-06-2009, 07:01 PM

Geez deach, quit holding out on us.

ainokeato
11-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Geez deach, quit holding out on us.

I know right? It's like he wants us to marry him before he gives it to us.

quilosion95
11-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Dude, the first 3 or so pages of posters are dicks! My gosh, the guy was not in anyway implying anything of his skill, he was saying that (or at least implying) the Aldrine's rendition of his songs is different than the one he teaches in his lessons. Can any of you say that this is not the case? Moreover, he is admitting that he could not figure it out on his own and isn't asking to be told that he can figure it out on his own. Who posts to find that out?! He's posting to ask if there is an easier option than figuring it out by ear! When did he at all call into question anyone else's skill? The topic, while saying aldrine lies, was not a serious statement either! Jeez, when did people lose track of subtle sarcasm. I'm almost positive that this whole douchebaggery would have been avoided, or at least curbed, had deach not replied in such a pissy manner.

Needed to be said.

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Dude, the first 3 or so pages of posters are dicks! My gosh, the guy was not in anyway implying anything of his skill, he was saying that (or at least implying) the Aldrine's rendition of his songs is different than the one he teaches in his lessons. Can any of you say that this is not the case? Moreover, he is admitting that he could not figure it out on his own and isn't asking to be told that he can figure it out on his own. Who posts to find that out?! He's posting to ask if there is an easier option than figuring it out by ear! When did he at all call into question anyone else's skill? The topic, while saying aldrine lies, was not a serious statement either! Jeez, when did people lose track of subtle sarcasm. I'm almost positive that this whole douchebaggery would have been avoided, or at least curbed, had deach not replied in such a pissy manner.

Needed to be said.

That took some balls or something.

experimentjon
11-06-2009, 07:23 PM

Needed to be said.

I actually sort of agree with this. When I read the OP's post and thread title, I was pretty sure he was just joking around and exaggerating. I have no doubt that he really does appreciate Aldrine's lessons like the rest of us. And he does raise a good point for people who really do want to play just like Aldrine, but who aren't quite good enough to figure it out by hear.

For Guitara, I think all you need to do is tune your ukulele down half a step to sound just like Aldrine.

As for the comment about Deach, that's just his sense of humor. I don't think he really wanted to start anything.

Cheers!

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Teenagers... :D

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Teenagers... :D

You changed it:)

takesuoutswitch
11-06-2009, 07:36 PM
You changed it:)

Yeah, you changed it. Why do you think I'm 13?

salukulady
11-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I had the pleasure of hanging out with Aldrine at the Huntington Beach Jam this August. I was sitting right beside him when he played Me & Shirley T. Seeing his hand move that fast close up was more than amazing... I would probably give up in a heartbeat if he tried to teach that song exactly how he played it or it would take about 15 months for me to figure out the 1st 30 seconds of the song..

Keep up the Good work AG.. I truly appreciate You :D

Haha.. Here is the vid that proves it.. Im the guy to his right :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbIvR9MB1UTHAT was a great day.

Fred Miu
11-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Jon said all that was correct, in my eyes.

but for takesuoutswitch's question, aldrine changes how he plays songs all the time, as do most artists when they play. its always changing and ongoing.

but his lessons are just the best way, IMO, how he could present it to teach as a lesson that wouldnt be as confusing(?) in a way to the viewers.

all in all, just try the best you can and play how you can play.

:) :shaka:

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Yeah, you changed it. Why do you think I'm 13?

I know you're 15 (edit:nevermind. totally meant 18 haha), but quilosion95 dawns a 95 in his username. Depending on his b-day, he's either 13 or 14. Unless that happens to be his football number. :p

Don't worry about it. Let's all just drink a warm glass of milk, shall we? :)

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=650&pictureid=3911

takesuoutswitch
11-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I know you're 15, but quilosion95 dawns a 95 in his username. Depending on his b-day, he's either 13 or 14. Unless that happens to be his football number. :p

Don't worry about it. Let's all just drink a warm glass of milk, shall we? :)

I'm 18. ^_^"

Where did 15 come from?

salukulady
11-06-2009, 07:46 PM

Needed to be said.That was your first post on our happy forum and you called a whole bunch of very dedicated friends of Aldine dicks? Your first sentence was totally unnecessary and will not win you any friends here. You could have made your point without name calling. You need to understand your friend you are defending came on a little strong with his post whether or not he was being sarcastic. As we all know, subtle sarcasm is often lost on the computer, without voice inflection sometime people don't hear it. You must be careful on any forum and especially if you are new to the group. And Deach is NEVER pissy.

Hey mods, time to lock this one down.

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm 18. ^_^"

Where did 15 come from?

LOL Must've been someone else in another overly dramatic board... my bad. :old:

... and if quilosion95 turns out to be a female, I just dug even deeper into fail.

ainokeato
11-06-2009, 07:47 PM

but for takesuoutswitch's question, aldrine changes how he plays songs all the time, as do most artists when they play. its always changing and ongoing.

but his lessons are just the best way, IMO, how he could present it to teach as a lesson that wouldnt be as confusing(?) in a way to the viewers.

Oh right! I just wanted to add on this, that song lesson, that one is a year or two old isn't it? So I agree, it always is changing, look at Jake S. lol he play "While my guitar gently weeps" differently from his initial video and in every live video someone takes of him. lol

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 07:56 PM
That was your first post on our happy forum and you called a whole bunch of very dedicated friends of Aldine dicks? Your first sentence was totally unnecessary and will not win you any friends here. You could have made your point without name calling. You need to understand your friend you are defending came on a little strong with his post whether or not he was being sarcastic. As we all know, subtle sarcasm is often lost on the computer, without voice inflection sometime people don't hear it. You must be careful on any forum and especially if you are new to the group. And Deach is NEVER pissy.

Hey mods, time to lock this one down.

Thread locked....Oh wait I'm still not a mod. Those two green boxes got my head all big.

SuperSecretBETA
11-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Thread locked....Oh wait I'm still not a mod. Those two green boxes got my head all big.

Now thread is locked. Wait... no, I'm not a mod either.

:iwant:

experimentjon
11-06-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah, all of the posts expressing thanks to Aldrine were great. But I feel like we've been sort of harsh on some of the new members recently, some with good reason, and some of them we've made mistakes in judging them too quickly. And I'll admit that I jumped to a wrong conclusion with nohandles.

Also agree with Sakulady that the youre-all-dicks comment was unnecessary though.

ukecantdothat
11-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Dude, the first 3 or so pages of posters are dicks! I'm almost positive that this whole douchebaggery would have been avoided, or at least curbed, had deach not replied in such a pissy manner.

Needed to be said.
Take it from someone who knows: Careful with the "dicks" & "douchebags" references here. Not long ago, when I first got here, I inadvertently stepped on some toes and had to e-pologize for my clumsy humoroids, like takesoutswitch gracefully did, and I'm no teenager. I said it then: things always look worse in print. Deach wasn't pissy. He was deach. The rest of us are just bowing to the sensai. AG accepted the e-pology. End of story.

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Take it from someone who knows: Careful with the "dicks" & "douchebags" references here. Not long ago, when I first got here, I inadvertently stepped on some toes and had to e-pologize for my clumsy humoroids, like takesoutswitch gracefully did, and I'm no teenager. I said it then: things always look worse in print. Deach wasn't pissy. He was deach. The rest of us are just bowing to the sensai. AG accepted the e-pology. End of story.

How quickly we grow up:) I miss your sarcasm to tell you truth. I normally get a laugh out of your posts.

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Thread unlocked...Civility restored...

JT_Ukes
11-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Forum Drama... Even UU is not immune!

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Forum Drama... Even UU is not immune!

That's because we haven't had our immunization shot yet. It seems that there is a shortage of the vaccine.

JT_Ukes
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
That's because we haven't had our immunization shot yet. It seems that there is a shortage of the vaccine.

I blame bush.

haolejohn
11-06-2009, 08:45 PM
I blame bush.
LOL for real...Change is coming (LOL even louder).

deach
11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
....Jeez, when did people lose track of subtle sarcasm. I'm almost positive that this whole douchebaggery would have been avoided, or at least curbed, had deach not replied in such a pissy manner.

Needed to be said.

Talk about losing track of sarcasm.

dumb ass! - needed to be said. (in a pissy manner)

rayan
11-06-2009, 11:24 PM
alright. break it up kids.