Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Use the Worth CMs

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Try the Hilos

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

beeejums

Reaction score
I just got my Ohana Sopranino today! It plays beautifully. I'm still adjusting to the size, but I took some nice pics...

15359_526342663429_50802921_31170817_1393650_n.jpg

15359_526342668419_50802921_31170818_7235135_n.jpg

15359_526342703349_50802921_31170824_8130672_n.jpg

15359_526342688379_50802921_31170821_6288382_n.jpg

Here's my question... I like Aquilas, but I don't know that I like them on this particular uke. I have a set of Hilos on hand, and some Worth CM's. I bought both of those sets for a concert uke... So which strings should I try?

I have the Ohana Sopranino. It came with Aquilas. Wasn't sure at first either, but they have settled in nicely. I think low tension softer strings wouldn't work so well on it causing it to sound muddy and not as in tune.

Try the aquilas and let them settle for a while. I also noticed my Sopranino opened up in sound quite a bit after a few months...
Cheers,
Skottoman

My Tangi Gecko came with Martin Fluoros which I'm not happy with so from what I gathered here in UU I've decided to try the Worth Clears. I've had the strings for months but too busy I haven't restrung my Gecko yet. I've read that some feel the Aquilas are too thick for a sopranino but not from my personal experience.

Aquillas work fine for me as well. I didn't like them right away but the more I played, the better it sounded. I also followed what Ken Middleton said about not pressing on the strings too hard. They did get out of tune quickly when I did (you can check his youtube review on this sopranino if you haven't seen it yet). :eek:

I agree with Skottoman - whatever has the highest tension will probably give the best results - to me that says Aquilas, I think. I think the Ohana Sopranino is right on the edge with GCEA tuning - I was going to try ADF#B on mine - but sold it instead...

Very nice uke! Congrats. I've always had trouble getting Aquilas to set. Seems like I'm always grabbing a peg to turn when I wanna play. I'm no expert, and maybe it's just me, but I gave up on Aquilas a while ago and went back to Hilo's for all my ukes. Once they set I can play em for a year or more. Play a whole evening without touching a peg. I like that. Good luck finding the right match!

if you are judicious with your strings, you can cut off a sopranino-sized length and still have plenty left for a concert. So your Worth set can string both ukes.

The only real way is to try them all and see how they sound.

Love the pic's of your sopranino! I love my Ohana Sopranino and have Freemont strings on it-It sounds good (even when I play it)...Try Freemont black from MGM...

Great pics! I felt my Sopranino sounded too tubby with Aquilas. I had lots of Martin Strings so I used them and I think the sound improved. Martins have a higher more crystal sound that some people may not like. I'm using Martins in this thread that I started.
Ernest

Last edited:
Top Bottom