"The Hawaiian D7"

John Colter

It ain't what you've got, it's what you do with it
UU VIP
Reaction score
In a conversation recently I referred to the chord 2020 (gCEA tuning) as "The Hawaiian D7". Someone asked me to justify calling it that, but I couldn't. I just remember that I've heard of it from several different sources, in the past.

Can anyone confirm that 2020 IS called the Hawaiian D7, please? Is it a historical thing, or perhaps that chord inversion just sounds better in Hawaiian music?

I hope I'm not spreading some kind of urban myth!

Ukantor.

I've heard it called the Hawaiian D7 more than a few times.

Same here.

I remember seeing it referred to as such on AlligatorBoogaloo, for example...

random002.gif

JJ

Thanks for the replies, guys. I feel vindicated ( I love to feel vindicated in the morning). I knew I'd seen it somewhere, and heard the term used by others, but when challenged, I couldn't back it up with any convincing argument.

Now I only have to say I've had confirmation from Ukulele Underground - that should do it.

It would be interesting to know the origin of the name. My guess is that it goes back a long way, and that 2020 blends well with typical Hawaiian chord sequences. There certainly are places where it sounds really pleasing.

Ukantor.

Weird I was always taught that 2023 taking the 3 off and on when strumming was the Hawaiian D7. Just like the hawiian G which is 0232 taking the 2 on the forth string off and on.

The normal D7 (2223) sounds okay when playing with a bunch of 'ukuleles, but as soon as you throw a slack key guitar in the mix it sounds super corny. So I always use 2020 when jamming with slack key players. It isn't really a D7, but it sounds good and I can't remember what it really is supposed to be called.

Y'know, I've had more than one person say that it sounds really "Hawaiian" when I play that chord (or 2023).

It isn't really a D7, but it sounds good and I can't remember what it really is supposed to be called.

It's nearly a real D7. Oddly enough, the only thing it's missing is the 'D' itself.

Which would make it an F#dim triad (second inversion, if you want to get picky).

JJ

I also play 2020 as Aminor6, but it all depends on the context, I guess.

Ukantor.

I also play 2020 as Aminor6, but it all depends on the context, I guess.

Good call! That works too. You'd be missing the 'E', but that's the least-essential note in the chord.

For those keeping score at home, yes this does mean that a "real" D7 and a "real" Am6 share three of the same notes. And those shared notes, by themselves, make an F#dim triad. Cool, eh? :cool:

JJ

I've done it by accident on a baritone. When playing A7 on a bari, a A7 is 2223 on a guitar its 002020. So I did it by accident from playing the guitar. Then I started thinking that on a C tuned uke that would be a D7 so sometimes I'll play that instead of a 2223. It sounds better on slower songs.

I'll have to figure out why it's not a real D7..... A 7th consist of a 1, 3, 5, 7b of the scale it is in. So when you play a D7 with 2020 you are playing A- C- F#- A instead of A - D - F# - C of the D7

The scale for D is:
D E F# G A B C#

The notes that make up a D7 chord are:
D F# A C

So the 2020 only has the A, F#and C needed to make up the D7. It;s missing the root note D.

So I poked around, a 2020 is actually a F# dimished. A dimished is made up of a 1, 3b, 5b the scale its inl

A F# scale is: F# G# A# B C# D# E#

1, b3, b5 are F#, A, C

So a 2020 has those notes. A- C- F# - A

I hope I did this right. :)

Unless it doesn't sound right I always play 2223 for D7 if anything 2223 is the actual "hawaiian" sound imo. Growing up listening to that particular genre that's just what it sounds like to me.

Top Bottom