Hawai'i Aloha

That's was a very good cover and the pronunciation was excellent. One recommendation, slow the tempo down. There are plenty of examples on YT.

A little bit about the song. The mele was written by the Rev. Lorenzo Lyons in the mid 1880's and the music was taken from an old hymn "I Left It All With Jesus" by James McGranahan. He was also called Ka Makua Laiana, the “Poet of the Mountains”. Hawai'i Aloha was more of a church song but now it is performed or done as an anthem by the locals before ending events i.e. concerts, competitions, etc. When the mele is sung we all join hands, held high signifying our unity and bond with Hawai'i. I think it was also selected as one of the 50 Greatest Songs of Hawai'i.

Here are the Hawaiian verses . . .

E Hawai`i e ku`u one hânau e
Ku`u home kulaîwi nei
'Oli nô au i nâ pono lani ou
E Hawai`i, aloha ê

Hui:
E hau`oli nâ `ôpio o Hawai`i nei
`Oli ê! `Oli ê!
Mai nâ aheahe makani e pâ mai nei
Mau ke aloha, no Hawai`i

E ha`i mai kou mau kini lani e
Kou mau kupa aloha, e Hawai`i
Nâ mea `ôlino kamaha`o no luna mai
E Hawai`i aloha ê

Nâ ke Akua E mâlama mai iâ `oe
Kou mau kualona aloha nei
Kou mau kahawai `ôlinolino mau
Kou mau mâla pua nani ê

Last edited:
Here's a vid of Braddah Iz doing Hawai'i Aloha . . . The neat part about this song is that everybody from the 50th knows it by heart. Enjoy. Malama Pono!

Thank you. I have seen this one many times. Nervousness sped things up a bit. My favorite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c37TD6MRMZI

I really like your salutation "Malama Pono!" (Save goodness, adopt goodness, maintain goodness.) Do I have that translated correctly? I think I will start using it.

Malama Pono!
Ray

Top Bottom