My new Kala Flame Mahogany soprano!

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
Got my Kala flame Mahogany soprano on Thursday and I couldn't be happier.
This thing is really beautiful, with carefully book matched wood. These pictures don't do justice to the gorgeous wood. In real life, the wood displays a characteristic known as chatoyancy (from "Cat's Eye") in which the grain of the wood shifts and changes as you move it in relation to the light. As you can see from my signature, I'm a wood kinda guy, so choosing this uke was a no brainer.
Actually, I guess this is laminate for the ridiculously low price, but I couldn't care less. It plays like a dream, with a clear bright sound. Included in MGM's price is an excellent Uke Crazy lightweight hard shell case, and mine included free shipping (only two days from Hawaii to upstate NY!)-- not all of these listed on Mike's site show the free shipping so choose carefully. Even with the shipping cost though, this would be a terrific bargain. If you're in the market for a beautiful soprano at a great price, check'em out.

100_22511.jpg

100_22521.jpg

Only one very small quibble... the mahogany neck of my uke is clearly made from two pieces rather than one solid one. You can see this in my photo. That being said, the join is very well made and symmetrical so I don't really care about it. I'd reject it in a custom made uke, but given the price and my needs, I have no problem with this. Just be aware that if you buy one you may get a similar neck (or not).

There, I've posted pictures, so it happened...:D

Very nice-Congrats! I was looking at those myself (...and a few others)

Only one very small quibble... the mahogany neck of my uke is clearly made from two pieces rather than one solid one. You can see this in my photo. That being said, the join is very well made and symmetrical so I don't really care about it. I'd reject it in a custom made uke, but given the price and my needs, I have no problem with this. Just be aware that if you buy one you may get a similar neck (or not).

Congrats on your new baby, she's a beauty!
As far as neck construction I see allot of customs with 2 to 3 piece necks including the headstock. I kind of like seeing contrasting wood colors and quality joinery work. In a production 'ukulele 2 and 3 piece necks are commonplace.

multi piece necks

Why would you object to multi-piece necks? A laminated neck, properly done, will help control any potential for warping of the neck. Saves on wood too, if you are so motivated.

Brewerpaul said:

A laminated neck, properly built, generally is stronger than a solid neck. The glue is often harder than the wood used in its fabrication.

oh I love that uke!:drool: That's what my next one is gonna be. Then I still have to get a tenor.:p
Ernest

Why would you object to multi-piece necks? A laminated neck, properly done, will help control any potential for warping of the neck. Saves on wood too, if you are so motivated.

It's not a laminate. It is made from two pieces of solid mahogany with a diagonal join about half way up the neck. If you look closely at the back side pic I posted you can see it.
I agree that a good laminated neck could well be an asset. I don't even really object to mine the way it is. I was just trying for completeness in my description.

Congrats. That is one very nice looking uke.

Jack

when you said the neck was two-piece, I thought you meant the heel was a separate piece glued on, or part of the headstock where it angles down.

I didn't know you mean the neck was actually two short pieces of wood glued butt to butt.

I'm ok with the neck being one long slim piece with protruding parts glued on, but like you I'm not crazy about the idea of the neck joined in the middle. However, soprano ukes aren't high tension so I imagine you're ok.

Some folk banjo players used to lengthen their necks doing as you described.

I just payed MGM for this Uke too! Tho it'll take more than 2 days to arrive South America. It looks so nice. I didnt really want to get in here cause it's like a spoiler lol. But, you didnt show the case, lol :p

I'm happy to hear it sounds good. Now I cant wait for mine :p

Bro, that's some nice looking mahogany. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom