How Do i Figure out strum patterns

thatguywiththeukulele

Reaction score
How do i figure out strum patterns the fastest way?

I personally think you can get too hung up on learning exact patterns. I personally just kinda get into the rhythm of the song, and do my own thang!

That said - I think you need to look at resources on here, check out a book or DVD on strum patterns (Ukelounge.com do a good DVD with patterns on it)

once you know the patterns, as the previous poster said - practice practice practice.

I personally think you can get too hung up on learning exact patterns. I personally just kinda get into the rhythm of the song, and do my own thang!

I second that.

What I found as I have improved is that two strums will play almost any song: DUDU and DDUUD. Until you feel like you can change the groove of your strum just from experience and what feels right, just stick to those and any other basic strums you might have learned. And of course the broken record goes around and around: practice, practice, practice.

Please refer to my current sig line. :)

JJ

what he said....

listen, practice, find your own thang. put your own spin on a tune - why not?

most of all, enjoy!

Just pick up your hand and start swinging it.

Others may disagree, but in my opinion so called "strum patterns" are 90% feel - and largely worthless. The "down, up, down, chunk" or "DUDX" stuff doesn't teach you timing or rhythm. It really only helps if you just have to know how someone made a particular sound. Which is fine - but not all that helpful to me.

Just try to emulate the rhythms you hear and don't worry too much about the "right" UDX patterns.

What I found as I have improved is that two strums will play almost any song: DUDU and DDUUD. Until you feel like you can change the groove of your strum just from experience and what feels right, just stick to those and any other basic strums you might have learned.

You are exactly right! As a beginner I mainly use DUDU and DDUUD and they both can usually work unless it is a complicated song. :D

There are no rules set in stone regarding strum patterns and at times there will be exceptions. Start simple and when you get familiar with it, you can then add embellishments like chunking (not the chinese food manufacturer), muting, etc. It's all about feeling and rhythm and tempo. That's when the fun part about the ukulele comes in, you get to make it your own. As someone stated "do your own thing". Far too many try to emulate an original and that ain't gonna happen.

Follow the good advice from my friends above.

Don't get too obsessive about the specific strum pattern. Go with whatever rhythm you hear in the song and just let it happen.

Practice.

Just do it by ear or whatever sounds good to you. If you learn patterns and dont get out of them everything will sound the same :S

I agree with MOST of the advice above but... I've been working on Somewhere Over The Rainbow using basic DUDU strumming and it was hard to sing with the ooos and just didn't sound quite right. Last night I really concentrated on the strumming everyone was doing in the many videos and started strumming like they did and it all just fell into place. Sounded so much better, so I believe there are certain patterns one should follow in certain songs. My $.02,

Top Bottom