SCAMMER ALERT again! Craigslist

Mouthy1

Reaction score
Hey guys, we know there is a scammer in the forums but I just listed a Mele Pineapple concert on Craigslist and got a response from Andrew_guam@yahoo.com which I believe I saw listed as one of the scammer alias'. He said he lives in Spanaway Washington and wants me to ship the item. Problem is, I live in Edmonds Washington. About 45 minutes away! Seriously folks. Go ahead, please try to scam me, do your best but at least look at the map first. This is too easy. Anyway, I saw the love nohandles got when he tried to sell something without following up or through on the sell and I was one of the "no love" folks but it is because of this scammer that everyone is on guard. Please watch out and remember, if you get a response like "I would like to buy your item", they are most likely a douchebag. Sorry for the offensive language but I like to trust people and it is people like this that make me cynical. By the way, I love this website.

to anyone reading this... watch out... andrew guam has an 'accontant'
michael_odem@yahoo.com .. claims to work at BOA .. they are the same person

andrew guam was from guam
the 671 in his name(s) is an area code in guam
he has also used the username yigo671 ... yigo is in guam as well

Here are some suspicious things to look out for.

1. EXTREMELY poor english. I know some people aren't experts, but some people are just using bad templates and don't really know the language. Don't let english skills be your sole determining factor on the legitimacy of the buyer. Some scammers speak great english and some honest buyers don't have great english (typically immigrants).
2. Anyone that says they live in one location but would like to ship to a relative in another location. Trust me, his daughter is not in Zimbabwe.
3. They claim they have a verified paypal account. They're likely using someone else's (stolen) verified paypal account.

Lastly, remember to REPORT any reasonably suspicious claims to the appropriate people.

Here is my craigslist scammer. I had posted my uke on CL ( I ended up trading it) and this is the series of emails athat have resulted. My last name isn't Heinene. That gentleman is the Chief investigator of the Georgia Bureau of Investigations (State FBI). I hope something comes out of this b/c it is just plan wrong.

CHECK AT YOUR DOORSTEP‏
Sent: Fri 11/06/09 2:01 AM
To: haolejohn@hotmail.com

Hello,
The check will be delivered to your address tomorrow via USPS Express Mail,here is the USPS Express Mail shipment tracking number EO 967 041 718 US the check was sent to you directly from my company account and it was for $3000 so proceed to your bank to deposit the check and the funds will be available in your account within 24 hours.After the check clears your bank usually within 24hours of deposit you will deduct $700 for your ukulele and send the excess fund of $2300 to my shipper so he can pickup the fund to pickup the ukulele and other items i purchased to be picked up.
Note:this is a depository account so don't try to take the check to Bank of America to cash the check instantly because Bank of America won't cash it for you therefore you need to take the check to your bank regardless of the bank you're using perhaps Bank of America,J. P. Morgan Chase,Wachovia,Wells Fargo or Credit Union....they will verify the check with my bank and clear the funds into your account asap.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
To: grodgers01@mail.com
Sent: Thu, Nov 5, 2009 3:10 am
Subject: RE: The Pono Solid Spalted Mango 8 string tenor ukulele with pick-up - $700 (Douglasville/West Ga)

Man this is great. You will love the ukulele. Here is my contact information.

John Heinen
3121 Panthersville Road
Decatur, Georgia 30034

I'll need your adress so that I can send the remaining funds.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: haolejohn@hotmail.com
Subject: The Pono Solid Spalted Mango 8 string tenor ukulele with pick-up - $700 (Douglasville/West Ga)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:07:40 -0500

Ok i will like to proceed with the transaction asap and my mode of payment will be via bank certified check drawn on my bank as there are too many scams on internet with bogus paypal and money orders,the item will be picked up from you by my shipper so you don't have to worry about shipment of the item also the check will be sent with the fund to cover cost of the item and also shipment by my shipping company due to company policy the amount i placed with my company can only be written on a single check so that is why i want you to receive these amount and send the difference to my shippers that will arrange the pickup when the check must have clears at your bank,once the bank verify and clear the check you will deduct your fund and send the excess fund to the shipper to prepare all shipment papers for pickup of the item.I should have handled this myself but i am not available to do this now i am currently away for my company seminar that is why i want you to do this to facilitate the transaction so proceed to delete the advert of the item if my mode of payment is accepted and get back to me asap with your full name,physical address and phone # to send the check to you.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
To: grodgers01@mail.com
Sent: Mon, Nov 2, 2009 5:59 pm
Subject: RE: Pono Solid Spalted Mango 8 string tenor ukulele with pick-up - $700 (Douglasville/West Ga)

I do. Are you interested?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: sale-6dzfz-1447207417@craigslist.org
Subject: Pono Solid Spalted Mango 8 string tenor ukulele with pick-up - $700 (Douglasville/West Ga)
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 02:24:04 -0500

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
** Avoid: wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
** Beware: cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html

Do you still have this listed item for sale?
Please get back to me asap.

Thanks

Standard "Nigerian" scam. All the banking instructions and bad grammar are so telltale. I really hate that crap. :mad:

lol im not getting involved but yeh, scammers suck, sometimes its not really worth buying a second hand ukulele unless you can physically pick it up or get someone you trust to do it for you, my main worry would be having people come on this website, gain the trust of the members then do a decent size scam on about 3 or 4 high priced ukes and with the prices MGM is selling his ukes why would you need to buy second hand.... so dont be affraid to ask alot of questions remember your the buyer there trying to sell you your goods example: why has the ukulele you got gone from being a $700 tenor to a $200 concert then claim to be a luither of 30 years..... :rolleyes:

great spot mate, thanks for posting to warn others, wonder why this person has choosen ukuleles as his scamming tool

UPdate

I am actually maybe slightly different than most of you in that I actually enjoy this kind of stuff. I usually play with the by send them an email that requires them to ask a question again. I say something, "wow, that is awesome, I am really excited. What kind of Ukes do you have in your collection?". I usually do 2-3 of these to bait them then I move onto.."I just lost my job and my wife found out she is pregnant so we really need the money". I do this to see just how scummy they really are. If they don't answer after that, I usually think, well at least they have a heart. If they continue, then I add something even more sad and see what they say again. Finally I usually send them an address that has the "f" word in it and say something about how ashamed their mom must be and how they most likely had no father because he was too ashamed of them. Now, some of you may feel this is a little harsh but remember, the stuff I tell them about myself should make any normal human feel bad enough for another person that they wouldn't dare continue on so if they did, they are rotten to the core.

So again, I don't really want to stop these scams so much, I just want to make sure that I am entertained by them. Try it, it is pretty fun. Oh, on a side note, the last guys name was Mr. John Johnson. Classic name huh? Oh, and my Craigslist guy is ready to have his accountant send the check too by the way!.....IT'S ON!!!

Although I'm proud of you guys for being the Mystery Team of Ukuleles, let's all remember, we've only encountered that one scammer ever on UU (that andrew_guam guy), so try not to be so suspicious of all the new guys and at least give them a chance to learn about the site. A kind link to the rules for selling is enough instead of jumping to conclusions.

Always seems to be one bad apple ruins everything. Everybody has been on edge since he was here. we got rid of him weeks ago.

It might be a much better idea to put all fishy advertisements in one big collective thread that people can follow for the latest news on infidels. Putting up a screaming thread for every Nigerian king and his daughter in South Bangladesh is sure to keep the fire burning. No offense to said countries and their inhabitants.

Although I'm proud of you guys for being the Mystery Team of Ukuleles, let's all remember, we've only encountered that one scammer ever on UU (that andrew_guam guy), so try not to be so suspicious of all the new guys and at least give them a chance to learn about the site. A kind link to the rules for selling is enough instead of jumping to conclusions.

Always seems to be one bad apple ruins everything. Everybody has been on edge since he was here. we got rid of him weeks ago.

i reckon the thought that now there moving to ukuleles is a worrring thing, where a small community who i thought would of been last on the list to be targeted.... but your totally right, i myself can relate to proberly over reacting ay but thats what over the bridge, have you ever thought about changeing the rules a bit more or makeing them just a tad more strick rayan mate??? what i mean is make it a post count of atleast 50 before you can post and when you upload the pic of the uke add your UU username and UU website on it.... its not really even that more strict just means proberly an extra 2 second thing they gotta do when taking a photo, and it will give the new members a chance to get to know this great community before they try selling there ukes, who knows we might even purswade them from selling there ukes and keeping them.... just a thought.... i say go the scooby doo mystery solving team of UU, who would of known they existed ;)...

I apologize for being skeptical but I worked with incarcerated offenders for a long time and there are some super bad people out there that don't think like you or I. I have car jacked and have had my stuff stolen countless times so please remember I am a product of my experiences. I will say, out of respect for this community, I have not listed anything for sale on the site since I am newer and feel that is the right way to do it. I am not skeptical of all listings but certainly cautious.

Quick update, I have emailed the craigslist guy and told him about another Uke thatI didn't even list and asked some annoying type questions like "what Ukes do you have in your collection" and it seems to be taking up some of his time and I can tell he is getting annoyed. I have now told him I live in CA, which I don't, and have now told him it is a KoAloha, which it isn't. I also told him I have another but it is more expensive but I would give him a discount. This is so much fun!!!!

This scam is officially known as the "Nigerian Scam" and has spread all over the 'net over the last ten years. Having been editor-in-chief of "Connections" magazine in the past, I have always had an interest in what these scammers and spammers are doing.

If anyone tries to send you a "cheque" for an amount in excess of your selling price, it is a scam. Don't take any money from them. But, you can also report such criminal activity to your state's attorney general, or perhaps your 'city attorney's office'. Here is Columbus, Ohio our city attorney's office has an "internet crimes" division. They pursue scammers like these. I almost took a job with them catching these scumbags a few years ago.

It really shouldn't be so shocking to anyone that the internet is full of scammers, especially on places like craigslist. As long as they stay out of our little corner here on UU, its just not worth the energy to pursue it. just my :2cents:

You might want to remove your personal info from there. Your email and street address can get spidered for spammers.

That isn't my address. That is the address to the GBI. I could careless about my email account. I never use it anymore. Prefer family one and work one.

Top Bottom