Purchasing Question

blondebeard

Reaction score
Hey guys/gals,
I've been jamming out on my $30 uke from musiciansfriend for about 2 months. I really enjoy it, but I was wondering if you could help me find a nice tenor uke. I dont know what brasnds to look for or prices. Thanks a ton

Hey guys/gals,
I've been jamming out on my $30 uke from musiciansfriend for about 2 months. I really enjoy it, but I was wondering if you could help me find a nice tenor uke. I dont know what brasnds to look for or prices. Thanks a ton

Welcome to the underground!

this is a question we've been asked for a lot of times now, and I guess there are people that can give you links to very helpful sites on the matter. but first a questions:
how much do you want to spend?

Well i guess somewhere between the lower end of 100-200

Welcome to the Underground

I've said it once and I'll say it again... for the money, Mainland Ukes can't be beat. Slightly more than $200, but for the extra money, you will have a great uke that will keep you happy for years to come (or until UAS kicks back in :drool:)

And I'm not the only one here that supports this notion. Save an extra hundred bucks and you will be MUCH better off....I went down the "cheaper" road for my 2nd uke and was back on the forums and scouring MGM's page less than 3 months later.

Here's Mainland's site: Click Me!!

Here's MGM's eBay page: No, Click Me!!

If you have any questions, MGM is a great place to start. He is a fellow UU'er and will be sure to point you in the right direction (which, did I mention, is Mainland?....just sayin...)

Good Luck

Welcome to the Underground

I've said it once and I'll say it again... for the money, Mainland Ukes can't be beat. Slightly more than $200, but for the extra money, you will have a great uke that will keep you happy for years to come (or until UAS kicks back in :drool:)

And I'm not the only one here that supports this notion. Save an extra hundred bucks and you will be MUCH better off....I went down the "cheaper" road for my 2nd uke and was back on the forums and scouring MGM's page less than 3 months later.

Here's Mainland's site: Click Me!!

Here's MGM's eBay page: No, Click Me!!

If you have any questions, MGM is a great place to start. He is a fellow UU'er and will be sure to point you in the right direction (which, did I mention, is Mainland?....just sayin...)

Good Luck

another good brand in that league is Kala. or you could maybe get a fluke. depends on what you want.

it's always an advice to try to go for solid wood ukes, they are worth the extra money...

Mainland or Kala - in that order, but really, look at Mainland. In fact, I'll re quote that... Mainland.

(sorry Kala - nice Ukes, very nice Ukes for the price, but so are Mainland, and I think their quality control is better)

Just give MGM (musicguymic) a call or send him a mail. You can find him on Ebay (he's also a member on the forum). Good luck with the search and enjoy your stay on UU!

For that price range, and for a tenor, I think Kala (and maybe Ohana or Mainland, if your budget isn't too rigid) is probably the best bet. Something like the Kala spruce top or the Kala flame mahogany, maybe?

For that price range, and for a tenor, I think Kala (and maybe Ohana or Mainland, if your budget isn't too rigid) is probably the best bet. Something like the Kala spruce top or the Kala flame mahogany, maybe?

I bought a Kala flame Mahogany. Didnt get it yet but looks like a good product for the price. Anything from Kala does actually.

And about the quality control, MGM seems to do a good job anyway so :)

Mainland Ukes seem to be a bit more than Kala tho. I checked their site and dont remember anything under the $180?

Well my :2cents:

It's hard to pick a Uke for someone...
What sound/tone are you looking for wood type will make a difference...

Example - a Spruce top Mahogany body Kala Tenor sounds very different from the Spruce top Spalted Maple body version.
Suprisingly the Maple body had a deeper tone.
The Cedar different from the Koa different from the all Mahogany and so on... that is just the ukes from Kala.

Will this be your last/only Uke?
If so save a few more bucks and get something with at least a solid top.

If not go cheeper and get a Laminate like the Kala KA-T so when you gain some skills/have some playing chops, had a chance to play a few Ukes, know what you are looking for, saved some $$$ then get you a nice all solid body/top that you baby/fret over/keep in a case/watch the daily humidity...etc,etc.

You can turn that laminate Uke into your loaner/learner/beater/backpack/car Uke.

Top Bottom