Another string question - tension

Sambient

Reaction score
Hell, maybe there should be a whole section of the board called "String Theory"
Seeing some mentions of types of tension needed for different ukuleles, I'd like to understand more about this.
Do types of tuners, peg, geared, fare better with certain levels of tension?
I'm sure there's just some basic physics information that I'm blanking on. I figured I could get learned here.

Welcome to UU. The answer to your questions is basically no. Mechanics of the instrument to make the proper tension to produce the particular vibration to attain the note vary widely, but are not a factor in what the instrument sounds like. The mechanics are outside the string vibration area and have very little affect on sound quality. They have a minimal effect on playability as different mechanics add weight in different areas of the uke. They also will affect how much fun it is to play the uke as some tuning mechanisms are a lot harder to work with than others. Personally, pegs are really retro cool, but a pain in the *** to get right. I prefer geared tuners even though they add weight and can make an uke top heavy. I came into a custom Mango 5 string and just HAD to change it from pegs to geared. That's just me.
Anyway, string up an uke with any kind of string you like and weigh the tension, and if it's in tune, you're going to get numbers that are very similar. so differing mechanics isn't going to matter. They all do the same job, just in different ways.

Last edited:
Basically the bigger the size, the greater the tension. Typically you won't find tenors with friction peg tuners because they may slip and not be able to hold the tension like a geared tuner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom