PDA

View Full Version : Dorkfest '09

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 03:05 PM
So I'm sitting on the playground last Friday at my son Daniel's elementary school, playing some Marley on my Mainland while he's playing handball with his buds, and this little snot-nosed second grader says to him:

"Is that your Dad?" Daniel nods, and the kid says, "Is he a dork?" And Daniel turns and asks me, "Daddy? Are you a dork?" And I say, "Yeah, why, who wants to know?" So he points this little twerp out and I ask him, "How did you know I'm a dork?" and he points at the uke and says, "Cuz you're playing that." So I say, "First of all, 'that' is Bob Marley, and you better take that back before I shove that ball down your throat!" And he says, "No. I mean that ukulele." And I say, "Oh, yeah. This. Well if you think this is dorky, check this out..." and I pulled out a Rubik's Cube from my baby's stroller and solved it in about two minutes, and the kid goes, "Wow. That's cool!" And I tell him, "No. That's dorky. This is cool," and go back into "I Shot The Sheriff."

So my question is, besides playing the ukulele, what's the dorkiest thing you know how to do?

:nana::nana::nana:

ukuleG
11-07-2009, 03:11 PM
i didn't know playing the ukulele was dorky :confused:

Steiner
11-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Playing French Horn trumps ukulele for dorkiness.

euchre
11-07-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm a member of a ukulele forum.

Duddles
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Thread winner?

Duddles
11-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Ohh... and I juggle... not very well, but then again, I don't play the ukulele very well either.

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 03:58 PM
i didn't know playing the ukulele was dorky :confused:
Oh, yeah. HUUUUUUGE dorkfactor on the dorkometer. Nothing personal. Just the way it is. But I'm like, ummm, a BIG dork, it turns out, so I just embraced my dorkness in the dorkiest way I knew. I put down my Strat and picked up an ukulele with my big ol' dorky head held high!!! Hey, at my age, who gives a flying f**k, right?

But you're English. Your lot gave the world The Beatles, so you're safe. However, your lot also gave the world Herman's Hermits! So out with it. You must have another dorkism you're keeping from us. Maybe you Brits call it something else, though...

mangorockfish
11-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I have a sticker on my uke case that says, "I Love Dorks".

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I have a sticker on my uke case that says, "I Love Dorks".
That's what I'm talkin' about!!
:smileybounce:

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Ohh... and I juggle... not very well, but then again, I don't play the ukulele very well either.
Bro! I, too, suck at juggling! My wife is good, though. She used to juggle raw eggs at the market just to try to outdork me, but I showed her! My concert uke has rope binding, and couldn't I be happier about it! Beat that!

JT_Ukes
11-07-2009, 04:11 PM
So I say, "First of all, 'that' is Bob Marley, and you better take that back before I shove that ball down your throat!"

Dude... you thretened a 7 year old? Really? :eek:

That is a very dorky and stupid thing to do. These days if the kids parent or another parent heard you say that you could end up in hot water pretty quickly. even if said in jest.

Seriously.

JT

Thegooseman
11-07-2009, 04:16 PM
I am an avid member of my school's anime club.

Well, only because my friends are really into anime, and the meetings are always after school, giving me something to do instead of just going home.

Duddles
11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, I can juggle three objects very easily at once, not doing anything fancy, except maybe a throw behind the back...

I also play video games every moment that I am not at work, I have a very large knowledge of World of Warcraft and Warcraft in general, I love zombies more than I love most people, I am an Indie, I have read Lord of the Rings countless times and own the extended editions of all the movies, I want to be Harry Potter (magic is cool), I have nearly read the entirety of The Wheel of Time series (rereading books 1-11? so that I can read the last one without wondering what is going on), I have read the A Song of Ice and Fire series more times than I have read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings combined, comic books rule, I have nearly every Uncanny X-Men issue downloaded onto my computer, I am purchasing a violin somewhere in the near future, I'm 20 years old and dabble frequently in the stock market, and... well... the list goes on and on...

Oh, and once my Uklectic gets here, I will play the electric ukulele.

mailman
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM

I'll see your juggling (I juggle, too), and RAISE you my two (2) 1964 Volkswagens.... NOW who's a dork? :D

UkeNinja
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Two minutes. That's pretty dorky.

It means you are looking, calculating, trying to remember what the website said when three separate colors are on one row etc. etc. I solve those cubes so quick, people don't know what I'm holding in my hand. It could be a stack of carrots for all they can see, or a small stuffed "Elmer the Patchwork Elephant" shaken really fast. They all look the same in the hands of Uke "Erno" Ninja. It's a must for cube assassins like yours truly. But all in a days work.

Did I tell you about the time I played I shot the sheriff in 17 seconds flat? People thought there was a bee in the building, but when I finished the song and the sound stopped they all felt strangely excited, but mellow. Bob's songs move in mysterious ways.

Now, on a serious note, why are some people posting incoherent stories on UU while there are important issues like concert or tenor, string size, tab correctness, and so on to be solved?

You really told that little twerp where it's at in the world ;)

Duddles
11-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I'll see your juggling (I juggle, too), and RAISE you my two (2) 1964 Volkswagens.... NOW who's a dork? :D

I still live with my parents. Do I win yet?

Citrus
11-07-2009, 04:31 PM

That is a very dorky and stupid thing to do. These days if the kids parent or another parent heard you say that you could end up in hot water pretty quickly. even if said in jest.

Seriously.

JTyou gotta rough 'em up so they know you mean business.
<works at a school

in any case, there's a HUGE list of dorky things about me, lets see if I can make an abbreviated one
1. 1 <41\1 51>341< 31\1711231'/ 11\1 1337 51>341<
(translation: I can speak entirely in leet speak) the reason for knowing it is probably worse, it was so I could speak to the enemy faction in world of warcraft, which I'd been playing since open beta til the beginning of this year. They had a communication jumbler but it didn't read numbers/symbols.

2. I've been going to dragon con the last 2 years and will probably keep going. (it's fun but I don't tell a lot of people that I do it)

3. I know waaaaaay too much stuff about dungeons and dragons despite never having actually played the game. Stuff like "according to 3rd edition rules dwarves can have the highest starting constitution of most of the playable races" or "Cyric took over as the God of Murder after Bhaal died during the time of troubles." That's all thanks to some of the dorkier computer games I've played.

4. I've played in tournaments for the Cyber Athlete League for Counter-strike as well as in official tournaments for Left 4 Dead.

5. probably the dorkiest thing about me is that I still have dorkier things that I'm not telling you, which means a combination of 2 things:
1. There's REALLY dorky stuff I'm not telling you
2. I actually have actual concerns as to how I'm perceived by online ukulele community.

anybody else think this thread feels like the part of the movie "Airheads" when everyone finds out that Chaz is actually named Chester and everybody does testimonials about the dorky things they've done?

Duddles
11-07-2009, 04:41 PM
you gotta rough 'em up so they know you mean business.
<works at a school

in any case, there's a HUGE list of dorky things about me, lets see if I can make an abbreviated one
1. 1 <41\1 51>341< 31\1711231'/ 11\1 1337 51>341<
(translation: I can speak entirely in leet speak) the reason for knowing it is probably worse, it was so I could speak to the enemy faction in world of warcraft, which I'd been playing since open beta til the beginning of this year. They had a communication jumbler but it didn't read numbers/symbols.

2. I've been going to dragon con the last 2 years and will probably keep going. (it's fun but I don't tell a lot of people that I do it)

3. I know waaaaaay too much stuff about dungeons and dragons despite never having actually played the game. Stuff like "according to 3rd edition rules dwarves can have the highest starting constitution of most of the playable races" or "Cyric took over as the God of Murder after Bhaal died during the time of troubles." That's all thanks to some of the dorkier computer games I've played.

4. I've played in tournaments for the Cyber Athlete League for Counter-strike as well as in official tournaments for Left 4 Dead.

5. probably the dorkiest thing about me is that I still have dorkier things that I'm not telling you, which means a combination of 2 things:
1. There's REALLY dorky stuff I'm not telling you
2. I actually have actual concerns as to how I'm perceived by online ukulele community.

anybody else think this thread feels like the part of the movie "Airheads" when everyone finds out that Chaz is actually named Chester and everybody does testimonials about the dorky things they've done?

Ahh, good old L4D tournaments... I have participated in them myself via the TWL and CEVO... Can't wait for L4D2 to release on the 17th... I have the day off for it.

Ronnie Aloha
11-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I still live with my parents. Do I win yet?

It depends, are you over 25?:p

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 04:52 PM

Seriously.

JT
Nah, dude, I made that part up, but the rest is almost word for word. Seriously! What kind of a dork do you think I am? And don't call me "stupid." It's not nice. And... You can get a red box in your reputation thingy. Don't ask me how I know.

Seriously.:nana:

Duddles
11-07-2009, 04:53 PM
It depends, are you over 25?:p

Hah, was hoping no one would call me out on that... Nope, I am 20 and a college student saving up to move out of state or out of the country.

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Two minutes. That's pretty dorky.

It means you are looking, calculating, trying to remember what the website said when three separate colors are on one row etc. etc. I solve those cubes so quick, people don't know what I'm holding in my hand. It could be a stack of carrots for all they can see, or a small stuffed "Elmer the Patchwork Elephant" shaken really fast. They all look the same in the hands of Uke "Erno" Ninja. It's a must for cube assassins like yours truly. But all in a days work.

Did I tell you about the time I played I shot the sheriff in 17 seconds flat? People thought there was a bee in the building, but when I finished the song and the sound stopped they all felt strangely excited, but mellow. Bob's songs move in mysterious ways.

Now, on a serious note, why are some people posting incoherent stories on UU while there are important issues like concert or tenor, string size, tab correctness, and so on to be solved?

You really told that little twerp where it's at in the world ;)
I KNOW YOU!!! The secret's out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUUIypmxr48

JT_Ukes
11-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Nah, dude, I made that part up, but the rest is almost word for word. Seriously! What kind of a dork do you think I am? And don't call me "stupid." It's not nice. And... You can get a red box in your reputation thingy. Don't ask me how I know.

Seriously.:nana:

I didn't call you stupid!!!

I thought you were joking and should have said so :)

My bad!

Guess that makes me a Dork!

:)

JT

spots
11-07-2009, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_byVtHrGEM

Big_e
11-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Is Dork> or < than Nerd? I'm 45 and still get together with my brother and a few friends to play Warhammer 40,000. All the wives and women call us a bunch of nerds.
Ernest

Duddles
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Is Dork> or < than Nerd? I'm 45 and still get together with my brother and a few friends to play Warhammer 40,000. All the wives and women call us a bunch of nerds.
Ernest

Same difference... nerds, dorks, geeks, we are all of them, and we are proud!

And speaking of Warhammer, I was really disappointed with Warhammer: Age of Reckoning... Mythic does such great work, but when all was said and done, that game was just missing something... not sure what it was, but something was not there... I blame the EA take over.

Still a huge Mythic fanboy though. I am still playing Dark Age of Camelot which just hit its eight year anniversary.

generem
11-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Im a computer dork that plays a uke.. And I wear coke bottle glasses :)

Wow.. what does that make me..

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I didn't call you stupid!!!

:p Yes you did! Yes you did!!! And I know what your gonna type, "No I didn't! I called your actions stupid!" Same thing! That's what I did. Ask seeso, he'll say so. I got the red boxes to prove it. But I'm green with dorkiness, now!

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Im a computer dork that plays a uke.. And I wear coke bottle glasses :)

Wow.. what does that make me..
Just like me!:D

bbycrts
11-07-2009, 05:56 PM

That is by far the coolest answer of the day. Awesome.

bbycrts
11-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not a dork. But have been told many, many times I'm a geek.

But at least we're not nerds.

And yes, there is a difference!

KC8AFW
11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm an engineer...I win.:D

JT_Ukes
11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
:p Yes you did! Yes you did!!! And I know what your gonna type, "No I didn't! I called your actions stupid!" Same thing! That's what I did. Ask seeso, he'll say so. I got the red boxes to prove it. But I'm green with dorkiness, now!

D'oh! I did say it was stupid thing to do... which in essence calling you stupid.

I can only blame 9 hours of customer service calls and lack of coffee...

My bad.

Please except my humble apology... But you have to admit... if you did threaten a 7 year old, it would be a stupid thing to do...

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 06:27 PM
D'oh! I did say it was stupid thing to do... which in essence calling you stupid.

I can only blame 9 hours of customer service calls and lack of coffee...

My bad.

Please except my humble apology... But you have to admit... if you did threaten a 7 year old, it would be a stupid thing to do...

It's all good, JT_Ukes. And yes, that would be stupid to do, if I did it, which I didn't... do it, that is, but if I did, you'd understand if you knew this kid. I might even have been hailed as a hero, like Dorothy melting the Wicked Witch of the West!

Ding, dong....

dktoller
11-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Dork, geek, and nerd are distinct, although some talented individuals manage to claim status as all three. I'm still a bit dorky but no longer qualify as a geek or nerd.

Any parent surrounded by kids is at risk of being a dork.

A Rubiks cube should take 60 seconds if I recall but its been 25 years since I solved one. Better brush up so I can impress my kids, before they get wind that cubes are dorky.

Rick
11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
..and I pulled out a Rubik's Cube from my baby's stroller and solved it in about two minutes, and the kid goes, "Wow. That's cool!" And I tell him, "No. That's dorky".

wow I don't think cubes are dorky. I don't think anything is dorky actually, why label something negatively when it means as much to others as you to playing ukulele. you're doing exactly what that kid was doing.

Duddles
11-07-2009, 07:05 PM
wow I don't think cubes are dorky. I don't think anything is dorky actually, why label something negatively when it means as much to others as you to playing ukulele. you're doing exactly what that kid was doing.

Since when has dorky been negative? I would have it no other way than to be considered a dork, just look at the alternatives... /shudder

jer989
11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Many years ago I memorized pi out to like the seventeenth decimal place....and still know it.

If you ask my wife she'll tell you that most of my interests have an air of dorkiness about them...

Rick
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Since when has dorky been negative? I would have it no other way than to be considered a dork, just look at the alternatives... /shudder

true, true

Ukulele JJ
11-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Let's see...

I play the ukulele
...and the accordion
The clock in my office at work? It's in binary.
I've actually played in official Scrabble tournaments
I own a copy of "The C Programming Language"
...an autographed copy, that is
Back in the day, I was in my middle school's D&D club
It's Saturday night and I'm posting on a web forum

You know what? It would probably be quicker to list the things I do that aren't dorky.

JJ

jer989
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Many years ago I memorized pi out to like the seventeenth decimal place....and still know it.

If you ask my wife she'll tell you that most of my interests have an air of dorkiness about them...

How could I forget! I just got my amateur radio license last year - that's gotta' put me up near the head of the line now, right?

KC2TIX

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Duddles got it right! I never meant dorky in a negative sense. Like being tall, or nearsighted, or I'm wearing Keens today instead of sneakers. It is what it is. For instance; I do the daily sudoku puzzle. Dorky, you'll agree? Sure, but it helps keep my feeble mind, uhhhh... sharp. Same thing with the cube. Keeps the mind, uhhhhh... (looking back...) oh, yeah, sharp! Two minute solve=major dork. I should be able to do it in less that a minute, but then this is Dorkfest '09. Turbonerdfest '09 happened in July, so I'll have to bone up on my cubing for Turbonerdfest '10. No, no, no. That kid crossed no line when he figured out I was a dork. See, I thought for a moment he was dissing Bob Marley. THAT would have been unacceptable.:shaka:

ukecantdothat
11-07-2009, 08:28 PM

Impressive...:bowdown:

MisoHappy
11-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I AM A PROUD NARUTARD. lol

I watch at least 5 episodes of Naruto Shippuuden a week.

And I have headbands from EVERY VILLAGE

Ahnko Honu
11-07-2009, 08:49 PM
What's the problem with the rest of the planet? :confused:
'Ukuleles have always been cool and respected here in Hawai'i. :rolleyes:

cocohonk
11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Question relating to the topic: What's the difference between a dork, a geek and a nerd?

MisoHappy
11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Question relating to the topic: What's the difference between a dork, a geek and a nerd?

A dork is a "slow" person

A geek is like an anti-social unfashionable person

A nerd is like a geek, except a nerd is also unfashionably studious

Thus, I am a nerd

johncaudrey
11-07-2009, 10:31 PM
You folks should all pop over to the UK sometime and I'll take you trainspotting.

scottie
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I was told by an old high school science teacher over 30 years ago that geek was a description of the sound someone makes after they've had a prefrontal lobotomy so I think it's more related to calling someone an idiot or a mentally deficient person. . . may or may not be true. . .

keithy351
11-08-2009, 12:33 AM

Seriously.

JT

you take things way to serious and personal...

on the dork meter i reckon i come up with the best, ive been called a nerd plenty of times, also been called a meat head too, kinda funny, to many people call me a dork or a nerd because of the ukulele, when i ace a uni exam, (talking usually 95+/100) i get the odd nerd and square call... but when i step out on the rugby field, or throw on the gloves in the cage theres always the meat head, mongrol sort of calls.. (btw either of the two know my little secrets...) so 1 group think im a jock, the other think im a nerd who plays the ukulele and is a book worm, hahaha im living two seperate lives and i enjoy keeping it that way

rayan
11-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I am a proud dork. Nothing wrong with that.

nohandles
11-08-2009, 01:46 AM
I must be a real dork then. I ofter play Kazoo and Uke together. One better how about the Hurdy Gurdy have one of those too.
In my neighborhood the kids gather when I play Uke on the front porch. So I got some cheap ones and hand them out if they want to try learning.

Pippin
11-08-2009, 01:50 AM
I knew a gal with a mouse-pad that said "Talk Nerdy to Me".

Pippin
11-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Seriously.

JT

It is sad, but, yeah, many people really over-react to that sort of thing.

...but now you know why some animals eat their young. :D

Captain_Lovehandles
11-08-2009, 02:00 AM
My favorite movie is Time Bandits. I have a huge comic book collection, and Star Wars masks... I'm a Jar Jar fan. I had a Homestar Runner fansite.

I could go on, but...

UKISOCIETY
11-08-2009, 02:08 AM
I attended the "Visions" Dr. Who conventions in Chicago every year starting around 1980.

Dressed as the Doctor.

...and with a Cyberman costume.

And was the first guy with a 5th Doctor costume.

....the coat was tailor-made as my graduation gift from High School.

/w00t!

Ukulele Dude
11-08-2009, 04:00 AM
My favorite movie is Time Bandits. I have a huge comic book collection, and Star Wars masks... I'm a Jar Jar fan. I had a Homestar Runner fansite.

OK, Time Bandits is a great movie, and there's nothing wrong with being a dork, but liking Jar Jar.... that's just wrong man.:p

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 05:01 AM
What's the problem with the rest of the planet? :confused:
'Ukuleles have always been cool and respected here in Hawai'i. :rolleyes:
Yeah. Seriously folks. (Really. This time I'm serious...) What is up with that? Why is it suddendly so charming when the mainlander gets to the luau? It is changing, though. The uke is exploding everywhere. I blame Tiny Tim for the dork image attached to this undeserving instrument. Speaking of dorks! That dork left a lasting impression on mainland society, and he was only "popular" for like two years in the 60's. I can't tell you how many times his name is brought up to me still. Him and Arthur Godfrey, maybe, from the previous generation. Not that AG (hey, AG!) was a dork, just square. And it percollates to a 7 yr old in 2009 is way beyond me. He was probably given a plastic uke by a well-meaning person, trying to bring music into his life, never bothering to tune it up, and the poor kid probably just used it to club his sister with (yeah, he's that kind of kid). Hey, that's a great uke song, BTW: "What's The Matter With Today" by Paul Lynde (and a great take by NOFX). They get it from their parents and other kids. Little smart asses!

And to those who STILL think I threatened to shove a ball down a 7 yr olds throat. Relax. That was the part I made up, cuz I'm just a big smart ass myownself. A big dorky smartass with a computer and a lively audience, whom I adore more and more each time I log onto UU! Thanks for the fun posts, dorks (and non-dorks!).

Dorks rule! (actual bumpersticker seen recently)

sukie
11-08-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm not a dork. I like to think I'm eccentric. But really I'm not. I refuse to believe doing sudoku is dorky. I collect flamingo stuff. Is that dorky? Is it? Is it? Is it?:eek:

This whole thing is disturbing.:rofl:

UKISOCIETY
11-08-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm not a dork. I like to think I'm eccentric. But really I'm not. I refuse to believe doing sudoku is dorky. I collect flamingo stuff. Is that dorky? Is it? Is it? Is it?:eek:

Sukie, do you own a Flamingo plastic uke yet?

sukie
11-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Sukie, do you own a Flamingo plastic uke yet?

Yes! One with the blow-into tuners on the top -- know what I mean? I can't explain it, myself.

micromue
11-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Yes! One with the blow-into tuners on the top -- know what I mean? I can't explain it, myself.

Attaching a pitch pipe to the headstock is nowhere dorky at all. It (probably) IS the greatest invention in mankinds history. Right after the fire and the wheel. And yes MaŽam: We are no dorks at all.:p

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 06:08 AM

Hmmm... Flamingos... I'm thinking about that one... No. The answer is no, definitely not dorky. Kitschy? Absolutely! And I love kitsch! What would be totally cool, and kitschy, would be to play flamenco on your flamingo uke! Now that's disturbing!

Kitsch (English pronunciation: /ˈkɪtʃ/, as in German) is a German word denoting art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an extant style of art ...blah, blah,blah. Tasteless, my arse! I'll take kitsch over Art any day. I can say that because I have an "Art" degree from a real university. OK, it's from SDSU, but it still counts!

And sudoku? I love you, Sukie, but... (All together now in falsetto...) Doooorky!:nana:

sukie
11-08-2009, 06:15 AM
hmmm... Flamingos... I'm thinking about that one... No. The answer is no, definitely not dorky. Kitschy? Absolutely! And i love kitsch! What would be totally cool, and kitschy, would be to play flamenco on your flamingo uke! Now that's disturbing!

kitsch (english pronunciation: /ˈkɪtʃ/, as in german) is a german word denoting art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an extant style of art ...blah, blah,blah. Tasteless, my arse! I'll take kitsch over art any day. I can say that because i have an "art" degree from a real university. Ok, it's from sdsu, but it still counts!

i'
And sudoku? I love you, sukie, but... (all together now in falsetto...) doooorky!:nana:
Flamenco on a flamingo uke? Is that a dare?

I was an art major also -- U of MN -- take that! In neon shop we were not allowed to make flamingo neon. Talk about bursting my bubble on day 1!

Sudoku is dorky? I say -- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 06:22 AM
Here's another confession. I'm a huge Mario Kart Wii dork. I have almost 9000 VR points online. I've unlocked all the vehicles and characters. I have Mii's that are named things like McCartnii, Riingo, and Gotta Pii. I'm going to make a Mii today called Tiiny Tiim. But that's not the dorky part. I race in automatic in the Cheep Charger. I'm such a dork! My son kicks my butt with his Funky Kong on the Flame Runner in manual. "Daddy, you're such a dork!" he says. But he says it with such love, it's actually sweet, so I let him get away with it!

New Mii: Dorkii Dad

mailman
11-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Let's not start slamming sudoku here. This could get ugly....

sukie
11-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Trust me -- nobody's slamming sudoku! I won't let them.

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Trust me -- nobody's slamming sudoku! I won't let them.
OK. Done! I'll take sudoku out of my dorkfile. BTW, I don't know about your paper, but the LA Times is way off the mark in their rating system on these things. Sometimes I nail the "diabolical" ones before my first cuppa java, and sometimes the so-called "gentle" ones are imfrigginpossible! But I digress...

Yes, Sukie, Flamingo Flamenco. Great song/album title.

Get pluckin'!:rock:

sukie
11-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Still haven't finished today's sudoku. Must go practice Malaguena.

Harold O.
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Need a musical nerdy checklist? Go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Still haven't finished today's sudoku. Must go practice Malaguena.
LOL! You're not a dork! Practice hard, now!:music:

Brewerpaul
11-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Hello, my name is Paul and I'm a dork...
I sometimes wear white socks with.... brown leather shoes.
(I'm so ashamed).

I asked my wife what the dorkiest thing I do is, and bless her heart, this is the worst she could come up with..did I mention how much I love her?

Ukulele JJ
11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Random thoughts:

1) If you're a Jar Jar fan, then you automatically win any geek/dork/nerd contest.

2) ...unless there's a LARPer competing in it.

3) If you spend any amount of time trying to argue the subtle differences between geek, dork, and nerd, then you are at least one of the three.

4) Sudoku? Oh, you mean that puzzle I used do until I found out about KenKen (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/crosswords/kenken.html)? :p

JJ

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
4) Sudoku? Oh, you mean that puzzle I used do until I found out about KenKen (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/crosswords/kenken.html)? :p

JJ
OMG! Ken Ken:eek: Those make my head explode.

Jar Jar... Oy, veh... hopeless dork...

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Hello, my name is Paul and I'm a dork...
I sometimes wear white socks with.... brown leather shoes.
(I'm so ashamed).

I asked my wife what the dorkiest thing I do is, and bless her heart, this is the worst she could come up with..did I mention how much I love her?
Hello, Paul. I, too, am guilty of that fashion faux pas. (Of course I am. Duh.) "But who sees the socks?" I ask my wife. Then I sit down and she points at the obvious. I love her, too.;)

haolejohn
11-08-2009, 12:26 PM
So I'm sitting on the playground last Friday at my son Daniel's elementary school, playing some Marley on my Mainland while he's playing handball with his buds, and this little snot-nosed second grader says to him:

"Is that your Dad?" Daniel nods, and the kid says, "Is he a dork?" And Daniel turns and asks me, "Daddy? Are you a dork?" And I say, "Yeah, why, who wants to know?" So he points this little twerp out and I ask him, "How did you know I'm a dork?" and he points at the uke and says, "Cuz you're playing that." So I say, "First of all, 'that' is Bob Marley, and you better take that back before I shove that ball down your throat!" And he says, "No. I mean that ukulele." And I say, "Oh, yeah. This. Well if you think this is dorky, check this out..." and I pulled out a Rubik's Cube from my baby's stroller and solved it in about two minutes, and the kid goes, "Wow. That's cool!" And I tell him, "No. That's dorky. This is cool," and go back into "I Shot The Sheriff."

So my question is, besides playing the ukulele, what's the dorkiest thing you know how to do?

:nana::nana::nana:

Dude!!!! I am an Elementary school teacher. Enough said.

mailman
11-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh, I do love my ken-ken puzzles!

Is it dorky, geeky or nerdy that I once took an online course to learn to speak Esperanto....and aced it?!

KC8AFW
11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Okay...time to figure out which one we really are: Nerd/Geek/Dork.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815

Here's how I did...

Pure Nerd
61 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 13% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

ukantor
11-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Hey Mailman, I learned Esperanto many years ago. Even went to a couple of Esperanto congresses. Now resigned to the fact that English is the International Language.

Esperanto - check; juggling - check; play the uke - check; sudoku - check; model airplanes - check. I MUST be something, but I'll leave it to others to decide what to call me.

Ukantor.

mailman
11-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Okay...time to figure out which one we really are: Nerd/Geek/Dork.

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9935030990046738815

Here's how I did...

I can't believe I went through that whole test only to be denied the results when I didn't want to "sign up" for their crap.... :mad:

mailman
11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Mailman, I learned Esperanto many years ago. Even went to a couple of Esperanto congresses. Now resigned to the fact that English is the International Language.

Esperanto - check; juggling - check; play the uke - check; sudoku - check; model airplanes - check. I MUST be something, but I'll leave it to others to decide what to call me.

Ukantor.

I learned it years ago as well....never had the opportunity to use it. Like a lot of other skills, "Use it or lose it".

We sound like two peas in a pod, as my mother would have said....

KC8AFW
11-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I can't believe I went through that whole test only to be denied the results when I didn't want to "sign up" for their crap.... :mad:

I didn't have a problem...on the last page (where they ask for optional stats like gender and birthday), I left everything blank and clicked "Show me my result".

mailman
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't have a problem...on the last page (where they ask for optional stats like gender and birthday), I left everything blank and clicked "Show me my result".

Now I've got to decide whether or not I want to go through the whole thing again....

mailman
11-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Yeah, that time it worked (I can be such a dork, sometimes!) :D

It says I'm "Joe Normal"; 39% dork, 26% geek, 39% nerd.

Go figure....

Teek
11-08-2009, 01:54 PM
I'll have to go take that test linked above, but I think I'm a bit of a nerd: I too have juggled 3 eggs without dropping them (but not in the market, only oranges etc. there), I dust the inside of my pc regularly and can swap out or add parts and edit the registry, I still have comics from back when I was 8 and didn't stop buying then until I was about 20, but still read graphic novels and I was an English major for 4 years, (then switched to Art) so I also read Milton and Chaucer, I'm 52 and female and just recently lived with my Mom for 3 1/2 years til we were both nuts and I moved out 8 months ago (BUT it was my husband's idea to move in), I recently adjusted the valves on my motorcycle and used to do a lot of the work on my mini truck years back for fun (replaced the whole engine harness for example), of course about fainted when LOTR came out as a real film!, used to be able to read Latin, excel at Trivial Pursuit in Arts and Sciences, collected ancient Greek and Roman coins and world stamps for years, I work PT as a bookkeeper and have a big accounting book next to the bed along with Stephen King and Eckhart Tolle books as reading material, I collect die cast cars, once had 800 elephant statues, I'm the one who crawls under the house to check the pipes etc. and I have to take care of the house spiders because everyone else is a sissy. I started listening to country music in 1979 and never stopped, but was an early Black Sabbath fan too, I love to take things apart to see how they work, my fave shoes are my Keens, I love to play MotorStorm at my ex's, it drives him nuts. I'm a Trekker from age 8. (Star Wars, feh). My current fave show is Big Bang Theory, a show about nerds, but I forget to watch it, because I mostly watch History Channel and Nitro Circus. I just got sucked into Farmville because of a friend, it's horrible but I can't stop planting the effing crops, and I bought the green cow. :rolleyes:

Model airplanes, yes, love biplanes, old civils and I run out the door every Sunday when our local warbird group flies by in formation. One of my biggest thrills was when a restored Corsair came up over a headland and dipped down into a mock strafing run on the beach where I was standing!

But my very fave thing is probably one that I could bore everyone here to tears with, the subject of coffee. I'm a home roaster and have (I'm currently really low on stock) about 40 pounds of green beans stored. I've been a barista, I'm saving for an HX espresso machine that costs more than all of my ukes and some of yours put together, and I can discuss varietals according to location and altitude grown, drying and processing methods, degrees of roast and all various roasting methods, length of resting period for fresh roasts depending on varietal; storage methods, grinders and fineness of grind, exact amout weighed by gram to put in the portafilter basket, how much pressure to use to tamp and whether or not to polish the tamp (and clockwise vs. counterclockwise and how many spins), weight and material of tamper, temp surfing methods on an espresso machine, PID vs non PID'd machines, whether press pot or vac pot gives the cleanest taste and the virtues/unacceptability of the AeroPress, optimum temp of water for extraction in a drip machine or if espresso machine, temp at the brewhead and optimum pressure in the boiler, length of seconds for the perfect pull, ristretto vs standard single shot vs. double, amount of tiger striping and degree of blonding of the shot (oh, I forgot bottomless vs. standard portafilters and kind of water used!) and of course methods for obtaining optimum crema. Just to start. Just on the coffee. Machine choice is like "Which uke, help me decide!"

Excuse me, I'm heading over to alt.coffee now. :D

haolejohn
11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll have to go take that test linked above, but I think I'm a bit of a nerd: I too have juggled 3 eggs without dropping them (but not in the market, only oranges etc. there), I dust the inside of my pc regularly and can swap out or add parts and edit the registry, I still have comics from back when I was 8 and didn't stop buying then until I was about 20, but still read graphic novels and I was an English major for 4 years, (then switched to Art) so I also read Milton and Chaucer, I'm 52 and female and just recently lived with my Mom for 3 1/2 years til we were both nuts and I moved out 8 months ago (BUT it was my husband's idea to move in), I recently adjusted the valves on my motorcycle and used to do a lot of the work on my mini truck years back for fun (replaced the whole engine harness for example), of course about fainted when LOTR came out as a real film!, used to be able to read Latin, excel at Trivial Pursuit in Arts and Sciences, collected ancient Greek and Roman coins and world stamps for years, I work PT as a bookkeeper and have a big accounting book next to the bed along with Stephen King and Eckhart Tolle books as reading material, I collect die cast cars, once had 800 elephant statues, I'm the one who crawls under the house to check the pipes etc. and I have to take care of the house spiders because everyone else is a sissy. I started listening to country music in 1979 and never stopped, but was an early Black Sabbath fan too, I love to take things apart to see how they work, my fave shoes are my Keens, I love to play MotorStorm at my ex's, it drives him nuts. I'm a Trekker from age 8. (Star Wars, feh). My current fave show is Big Bang Theory, a show about nerds, but I forget to watch it, because I mostly watch History Channel and Nitro Circus. I just got sucked into Farmville because of a friend, it's horrible but I can't stop planting the effing crops, and I bought the green cow. :rolleyes:

Model airplanes, yes, love biplanes, old civils and I run out the door every Sunday when our local warbird group flies by in formation. One of my biggest thrills was when a restored Corsair came up over a headland and dipped down into a mock strafing run on the beach where I was standing!

But my very fave thing is probably one that I could bore everyone here to tears with, the subject of coffee. I'm a home roaster and have (I'm currently really low on stock) about 40 pounds of green beans stored. I've been a barista, I'm saving for an HX espresso machine that costs more than all of my ukes and some of yours put together, and I can discuss varietals according to location and altitude grown, drying and processing methods, degrees of roast and all various roasting methods, length of resting period for fresh roasts depending on varietal; storage methods, grinders and fineness of grind, exact amout weighed by gram to put in the portafilter basket, how much pressure to use to tamp and whether or not to polish the tamp (and clockwise vs. counterclockwise and how many spins), weight and material of tamper, temp surfing methods on an espresso machine, PID vs non PID'd machines, whether press pot or vac pot gives the cleanest taste and the virtues/unacceptability of the AeroPress, optimum temp of water for extraction in a drip machine or if espresso machine, temp at the brewhead and optimum pressure in the boiler, length of seconds for the perfect pull, ristretto vs standard single shot vs. double, amount of tiger striping and degree of blonding of the shot (oh, I forgot bottomless vs. standard portafilters and kind of water used!) and of course methods for obtaining optimum crema. Just to start. Just on the coffee. Machine choice is like "Which uke, help me decide!"

Motorcycle??? Why have you not posted pictures over in the motorcycle thread in general discussion http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20458? Coffee roaster? I would like to get into that.

Steve vanPelt
11-08-2009, 02:50 PM

here's one you don't have to sign up for. I was under 15%, I have geekish tendencies
http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html

brickerenator
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
I've forgotten how many forums I've registered on.

KC8AFW
11-08-2009, 04:03 PM
here's one you don't have to sign up for. I was under 15%, I have geekish tendencies
http://www.innergeek.us/geek-test.html

41.42012% - Major Geek.

Should I be concerned? :o

ukecantdothat
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
I'll have to go take that test linked above, but I think I'm a bit of a nerd: ...
:stop:
We have our threadwinner! I am in awe. And the scariest thing is; we are the same age and share a love of country music and Black Sabbath.
:bowdown:

cocohonk
11-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Random thoughts:
3) If you spend any amount of time trying to argue the subtle differences between geek, dork, and nerd, then you are at least one of the three.
JJ

Hee! That I am. I'm a dorky geek. Or a geeky dork.

Time Bandits! Woo! Though I prefer Brazil.

And come on, who doesn't love sudokus? :D

Ardaniel
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
23-year comic-book habit? Check. Ham radio license? Check. Former Unix sysadmin? Check. Yearbook editor in HS? Check. Crochet habit? Check. Ukulele newb? Check.

Currently actually watching Road House, that Patrick Swayze classic? Check.

Yup, dork all the way.

--
Moonlight Flea soprano-- thanks, McCabe's!

Teek
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Motorcycle??? Why have you not posted pictures over in the motorcycle thread in general discussion http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20458? Coffee roaster? I would like to get into that.

I'm on a whole forum for that specifically, if I do it in two places, God help me! Add in coffee and the entire day is gone, I lose my job, can't buy any more ukes and have to sell the motorcycle for rent money. :rolleyes:

Coffee roasting, see sweetmarias.com and get some OLD Poppery popcorn poppers off eBay (not the IIs though they will work, they are like 1200 watts and the older ones are 1500watts), they're pricey but easy as heck to roast with, and you can run them in pairs, say six total (to rotate so they don't overheat) for 1/3 the price of say a HotTop drum roaster. :shaka:

I forgot to add knitting, I have handspun mohair, alpaca and silk blends in those plastic sweater boxes under the bed...:o

Captain_Lovehandles
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
I scored:
Joe Normal: 35% Nerd, 43%Geek, 48%Dork

Do I have to give up the uke since I'm not a dork?

brickerenator
11-09-2009, 12:46 AM
I was 70&#37; nerd when I took that test a few months ago

pirate looks at 40
11-09-2009, 12:48 AM
I play trombone in my wind ensemble... and i have the mac apple symbol on my case lol

thisnthat
11-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Pure Geek ~ but I knew that.

43 % Nerd, 52% Geek, 48% Dork

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Geek, earning you the title of: Pure Geek.

It's not that you're a school junkie, like the nerd, and you don't really stand out in a crowd, like the dork, you just have some interests that aren't quite mainstream. Perhaps it's anime, (check) perhaps it's computers, (check) perhaps it's bottlecaps, (nah it was milk caps. ;)) perhaps it's all of those and more. Your interests take you to events and gatherings that are filled with people you find unusual and beyond-the-pale, but you don't quite consider yourself "of that crowd." Instead, you consider yourself to be fairly normal.

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I scored:
Joe Normal: 35% Nerd, 43%Geek, 48%Dork

Do I have to give up the uke since I'm not a dork?
Well, I'll make an exception in your case, Cap'n!:D

Wagster
11-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Man...this thread is seriously disturbing.....

I'm going to have to take down my "NO DORKS ALLOWED" sign in my driveway so I can host a ukulele party next spring.

Oh....wait.....having a "ukulele party" is kinda dorky too, huh?

Sigh.

There goes my reputation as Joe Cool :cool:

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Man...this thread is seriously disturbing.....

I'm going to have to take down my "NO DORKS ALLOWED" sign in my driveway so I can host a ukulele party next spring.

Oh....wait.....having a "ukulele party" is kinda dorky too, huh?

Sigh.

There goes my reputation as Joe Cool :cool:
Leave it up!:drool: Have a great party!:cheers:Love your signature!!!
:smileybounce:

Schnitzelbank
11-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Bro! I, too, suck at juggling! My wife is good, though. She used to juggle raw eggs at the market just to try to outdork me, but I showed her! My concert uke has rope binding, and couldn't I be happier about it! Beat that!

My husband studies dead languages for fun. I can't even bring myself to offer up proof of my dorkitude, because in this house I always lose. I gave him a ukulele for his birthday, so maybe he'll be one of the cool kids soon! ;)

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 04:57 PM
I gave him a ukulele for his birthday, so maybe he'll be one of the cool kids soon! ;)
He is, now!:cool:

ukecantdothat
11-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Update: The kid who inspired this thread was there again today, and he runs over to me as I'm sitting in my customary place, playing my Mainland, and this time he asks, "Hey! Can you play that song about the sheriff again?" So I say, "If you can tell me who wrote it I will." And he thinks for a second and says, "Bob Markley?" "Close enough!" I say. Then I go, "Derr, derr, derr, derr, derr derr derr, derr, derr, d-derrrr..."

They're so teachable at this age!

Schnitzelbank
11-12-2009, 03:43 PM
He is, now!:cool:

You can bring the ukulele to the man, but you can't make him play it. The jury is still out.

ukecantdothat
11-12-2009, 04:07 PM
You can bring the ukulele to the man, but you can't make him play it. The jury is still out.Yes, you can. You can make a man do anything...:D

Ahnko Honu
11-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I've been a anime addict before they called it anime back in the early 60s watching Gigantor, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, etc., now watch Naruto Shippuuden, and Bleach. Also been a model plane collector and builder since about the same time always 1/48 scale, always Pacific Theater planes where my Dad fought during WWII. I was going to continue building more planes with him, made 4 with him in 2007 but then he passed away in June of that year and I haven't been able to build another since. :( I must have over 50 I haven't started with about 40 hanging from the ceiling completed over the past 43 years since I started that have survived all these years.

ukecantdothat
11-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I've been a anime addict before they called it anime back in the early 60s watching Gigantor, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, etc., now watch Naruto Shippuuden, and Bleach. Also been a model plane collector and builder since about the same time always 1/48 scale, always Pacific Theater planes where my Dad fought during WWII. I was going to continue building more planes with him, made 4 with him in 2007 but then he passed away in June of that year and I haven't been able to build another since. :( I must have over 50 I haven't started with about 40 hanging from the ceiling completed over the past 43 years since I started that have survived all these years.Where's the dorky part? Oh, I see... Speed Racer. And, if I may say, it might be time to bust out a tube o' Testor's...:D

ukecantdothat
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I've been a anime addict before they called it anime back in the early 60s watching Gigantor, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, etc., now watch Naruto Shippuuden, and Bleach. Also been a model plane collector and builder since about the same time always 1/48 scale, always Pacific Theater planes where my Dad fought during WWII. I was going to continue building more planes with him, made 4 with him in 2007 but then he passed away in June of that year and I haven't been able to build another since. :( I must have over 50 I haven't started with about 40 hanging from the ceiling completed over the past 43 years since I started that have survived all these years.Where's the dorky part? Oh, I see... Speed Racer. And, if I may say, it might be time to bust out a tube o' Testor's...