Dorkfest '09

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
So I'm sitting on the playground last Friday at my son Daniel's elementary school, playing some Marley on my Mainland while he's playing handball with his buds, and this little snot-nosed second grader says to him:

"Is that your Dad?" Daniel nods, and the kid says, "Is he a dork?" And Daniel turns and asks me, "Daddy? Are you a dork?" And I say, "Yeah, why, who wants to know?" So he points this little twerp out and I ask him, "How did you know I'm a dork?" and he points at the uke and says, "Cuz you're playing that." So I say, "First of all, 'that' is Bob Marley, and you better take that back before I shove that ball down your throat!" And he says, "No. I mean that ukulele." And I say, "Oh, yeah. This. Well if you think this is dorky, check this out..." and I pulled out a Rubik's Cube from my baby's stroller and solved it in about two minutes, and the kid goes, "Wow. That's cool!" And I tell him, "No. That's dorky. This is cool," and go back into "I Shot The Sheriff."

So my question is, besides playing the ukulele, what's the dorkiest thing you know how to do?

:nana::nana::nana:

Playing French Horn trumps ukulele for dorkiness.

i didn't know playing the ukulele was dorky :confused:
Oh, yeah. HUUUUUUGE dorkfactor on the dorkometer. Nothing personal. Just the way it is. But I'm like, ummm, a BIG dork, it turns out, so I just embraced my dorkness in the dorkiest way I knew. I put down my Strat and picked up an ukulele with my big ol' dorky head held high!!! Hey, at my age, who gives a flying f**k, right?

But you're English. Your lot gave the world The Beatles, so you're safe. However, your lot also gave the world Herman's Hermits! So out with it. You must have another dorkism you're keeping from us. Maybe you Brits call it something else, though...

Last edited:
Ohh... and I juggle... not very well, but then again, I don't play the ukulele very well either.
Bro! I, too, suck at juggling! My wife is good, though. She used to juggle raw eggs at the market just to try to outdork me, but I showed her! My concert uke has rope binding, and couldn't I be happier about it! Beat that!

Last edited:
So I say, "First of all, 'that' is Bob Marley, and you better take that back before I shove that ball down your throat!"

Dude... you thretened a 7 year old? Really? :eek:

That is a very dorky and stupid thing to do. These days if the kids parent or another parent heard you say that you could end up in hot water pretty quickly. even if said in jest.

Seriously.

JT

I am an avid member of my school's anime club.

Well, only because my friends are really into anime, and the meetings are always after school, giving me something to do instead of just going home.

Well, I can juggle three objects very easily at once, not doing anything fancy, except maybe a throw behind the back...

I also play video games every moment that I am not at work, I have a very large knowledge of World of Warcraft and Warcraft in general, I love zombies more than I love most people, I am an Indie, I have read Lord of the Rings countless times and own the extended editions of all the movies, I want to be Harry Potter (magic is cool), I have nearly read the entirety of The Wheel of Time series (rereading books 1-11? so that I can read the last one without wondering what is going on), I have read the A Song of Ice and Fire series more times than I have read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings combined, comic books rule, I have nearly every Uncanny X-Men issue downloaded onto my computer, I am purchasing a violin somewhere in the near future, I'm 20 years old and dabble frequently in the stock market, and... well... the list goes on and on...

Oh, and once my Uklectic gets here, I will play the electric ukulele.

Ohh... and I juggle... not very well, but then again, I don't play the ukulele very well either.

I'll see your juggling (I juggle, too), and RAISE you my two (2) 1964 Volkswagens.... NOW who's a dork? :D

Two minutes. That's pretty dorky.

It means you are looking, calculating, trying to remember what the website said when three separate colors are on one row etc. etc. I solve those cubes so quick, people don't know what I'm holding in my hand. It could be a stack of carrots for all they can see, or a small stuffed "Elmer the Patchwork Elephant" shaken really fast. They all look the same in the hands of Uke "Erno" Ninja. It's a must for cube assassins like yours truly. But all in a days work.

Did I tell you about the time I played I shot the sheriff in 17 seconds flat? People thought there was a bee in the building, but when I finished the song and the sound stopped they all felt strangely excited, but mellow. Bob's songs move in mysterious ways.

Now, on a serious note, why are some people posting incoherent stories on UU while there are important issues like concert or tenor, string size, tab correctness, and so on to be solved?

You really told that little twerp where it's at in the world ;)

That is a very dorky and stupid thing to do. These days if the kids parent or another parent heard you say that you could end up in hot water pretty quickly. even if said in jest.

Seriously.

JT
you gotta rough 'em up so they know you mean business.
<works at a school

in any case, there's a HUGE list of dorky things about me, lets see if I can make an abbreviated one
1. 1 <41\1 51>341< 31\1711231'/ 11\1 1337 51>341<
(translation: I can speak entirely in leet speak) the reason for knowing it is probably worse, it was so I could speak to the enemy faction in world of warcraft, which I'd been playing since open beta til the beginning of this year. They had a communication jumbler but it didn't read numbers/symbols.

2. I've been going to dragon con the last 2 years and will probably keep going. (it's fun but I don't tell a lot of people that I do it)

3. I know waaaaaay too much stuff about dungeons and dragons despite never having actually played the game. Stuff like "according to 3rd edition rules dwarves can have the highest starting constitution of most of the playable races" or "Cyric took over as the God of Murder after Bhaal died during the time of troubles." That's all thanks to some of the dorkier computer games I've played.

4. I've played in tournaments for the Cyber Athlete League for Counter-strike as well as in official tournaments for Left 4 Dead.

5. probably the dorkiest thing about me is that I still have dorkier things that I'm not telling you, which means a combination of 2 things:
1. There's REALLY dorky stuff I'm not telling you
2. I actually have actual concerns as to how I'm perceived by online ukulele community.

anybody else think this thread feels like the part of the movie "Airheads" when everyone finds out that Chaz is actually named Chester and everybody does testimonials about the dorky things they've done?

you gotta rough 'em up so they know you mean business.
<works at a school

in any case, there's a HUGE list of dorky things about me, lets see if I can make an abbreviated one
1. 1 <41\1 51>341< 31\1711231'/ 11\1 1337 51>341<
(translation: I can speak entirely in leet speak) the reason for knowing it is probably worse, it was so I could speak to the enemy faction in world of warcraft, which I'd been playing since open beta til the beginning of this year. They had a communication jumbler but it didn't read numbers/symbols.

2. I've been going to dragon con the last 2 years and will probably keep going. (it's fun but I don't tell a lot of people that I do it)

3. I know waaaaaay too much stuff about dungeons and dragons despite never having actually played the game. Stuff like "according to 3rd edition rules dwarves can have the highest starting constitution of most of the playable races" or "Cyric took over as the God of Murder after Bhaal died during the time of troubles." That's all thanks to some of the dorkier computer games I've played.

4. I've played in tournaments for the Cyber Athlete League for Counter-strike as well as in official tournaments for Left 4 Dead.

5. probably the dorkiest thing about me is that I still have dorkier things that I'm not telling you, which means a combination of 2 things:
1. There's REALLY dorky stuff I'm not telling you
2. I actually have actual concerns as to how I'm perceived by online ukulele community.

anybody else think this thread feels like the part of the movie "Airheads" when everyone finds out that Chaz is actually named Chester and everybody does testimonials about the dorky things they've done?

Ahh, good old L4D tournaments... I have participated in them myself via the TWL and CEVO... Can't wait for L4D2 to release on the 17th... I have the day off for it.

Seriously.

JT
Nah, dude, I made that part up, but the rest is almost word for word. Seriously! What kind of a dork do you think I am? And don't call me "stupid." It's not nice. And... You can get a red box in your reputation thingy. Don't ask me how I know.

Seriously.:nana:

Top Bottom