Has anyone been to a Jake S. concert?

iamblinkin

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm so f'n pumped right now...! Jake is coming to Ann Arbor, MI this Thursday and, even though I have a huge exam the next morning, I am making the journey to see him (what choice do I have here?!). I was wondering if anyone else has been to any of his shows and knows if he is cool about getting pictures/signatures?

he's very good to his fans. You'll have a great time. Tell him you know Aldrine and Ryan from Ukulele Underground and see what he says. :)

Haha yeah I wish I had a UU shirt right now, but I'll have to go with my Just Uke It one.

I just found out last night that Jake will be coming to Phoenix in January. So stoked!! I've been waiting for a "uke'er to come to the valley (whether it be Jake, Aldrine, Rayan, Victoria, etc.) and now it will finally happen!! Woohoo!!

I saw him this summer and he signed this:

100_2200.jpg

Gave him a bit of a chuckle...

Jake is very accessible and genuinely seems to enjoy interacting with the audience. His personality comes through in playing-- you can tell he just loves what he's doing. You're in for a great time.
Eat at Mongolian Barbeque in Ann Arbor!

seeing jake up close was ridiculous! in a good way of course. it's one thing to listen to his songs and watch videos of him but to actually be there watching him and seeing his talent up close is unreal.

Awesome!!! I can't wait!!! :D Hey Phanzo, my dad lives in Phx and I think he's going to see Jake then too! I was bummed at first because I found out about the Phx show before I found out about the Ann Arbor show...all is good now. :cool:

Great show

Mr. Jake Shimabukuro came to Fort Wayne Indiana back in March. Great Show!! Afterwards, he came back out to sign autographs, Signed my keeper ukulele.

It was a really cool experience. He is a really a down to earth person.

Jake who?...

Jake has always went out of his way to spend time with his fans. This pic is from just a couple of weeks ago at the Jazz fest in San Francisco. The line was so long after the concert for the meet and greet that the Symphony management staff was rushing everyone through. I hope he continues to do this even though the crowds are getting really large. I've seen Jake several times over the years and the first time I saw him at Borders in Sacramento there were maybe 75 people tops. Things have sure changed.

As you can tell from the pic Jake was diggin' the Dominator T.

jazz_fest_09.JPG

I have seen Jake several times and he remembers me (or at least pretends to :) ) every time. As Dom noted, at some point he may get so big that the venues may not allow him to do the meet-and-greet w/ EVERYONE. So it is good that you are seeing him now. Make sure you bring a good camera to get a pic w/ him and the things you want him to sign..he is really cool about this!...and of course, have a GREAT time :D

You remember, that kid that used to open for you when you played at the Shell. :D

Oh that snot-nosed little Okinawan kid from Hawai'i Kai... He finally made the big time eh? I guess all those 'ukulele classes finally paid off. :cool:;)

Not too many performers do the meet and greet thing these days. I do believe that Jake intends to continue that trend, though. His management team and PR group go beyond the call of duty when it comes to informing the media of news and events.

I look forward to the next time I can meet with Jake for a story in Ukulele Player.

Thanks everyone for your stories! The venue looks to be small-ish (The Ark, in Ann Arbor, MI) and I plan on getting there early to hopefully at least get a good seat. I was gonna bring my Lanikai soprano for him to sign but I don't know if I want to turn a $50 piece of balsa wood into a priceless item for me :p I might just grab one of his CDs, etc. By the way, awesome pic Dom; that's exactly what I'm hoping to get!

The thing that made my first Jake show more meaningful to me was how nice he was in person-and it was a genuine niceness. I have met other famous or extremely talented people who have been kind of jerks in person. It can really change the way you view that person. But Jake was extremely gracious with his time, was willing to sign a CD and a uke as well as take pictures. His personality really shows in his performance and it is infectious.
I am planning on being at the Ann Arbor show. Can't wait.

I'm really looking forward to the concert too. It'll be my first time seeing mr. s as well. I have some of the reserved seats so I don't have to wait in line for the general tickets/fight for a seat. It sucks that the reserved seating is farther away from the stage though, you'd think it would be the other way around. Oh well, I'll be representing with my newly purchased U.U. shirt.

Top Bottom