Pedal for uke?

well you gotta do a little leg-work here, koloheboy. nobody can decide what type of pedal you want for you.

Many pedals are based on time delay or off-setting the original tone by however many milli-seconds you decide.

Chorus: a little like several ukes (or guitars) playing at the same time but just slightly out of unison.

Phaser: a swirling, washy kind of effect. Think Hendrix

Flange: sort of like Chorus and Phaser combined. Trippy.

Delay: like you'd think... a repeating echo that decays as it repeats.

Reverb: think playing in a stairwell or any area with reflective surfaces. adds "air" and "space"

Distortion/Fuzz/Overdrive: please don't. not on a uke.

oooo i thot there was only one kind. then flange or wutever must be for me.
:eek:Brother, there are THOUSANDS of pedals. Here's what you do: go on over to YouTube and enter "pedal" into the search field. There are many pedal reviews and demo's of all different effects. That'll give you a better idea of what to look for. good luck.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd suggest getting a multi effects pedal. I started out with one of those when I first started experimenting with pedals. Check out the ZOOM 505II. It's easy and cheap also. I think they go for like 60-70 bucks? It comes with distortion, chorus, reverb, delay, etc. You can also mix the effects if you want.

just my two cents :D

If I can make a suggestion, I'd suggest getting a multi effects pedal. I started out with one of those when I first started experimenting with pedals. Check out the ZOOM 505II. It's easy and cheap also. I think they go for like 60-70 bucks? It comes with distortion, chorus, reverb, delay, etc. You can also mix the effects if you want.

just my two cents :D

thanks aldrine. ill have to check it out. my uncle told me to get one pedal cuz it sounds mean wen u play um so i was tryna figur out whut kine is good for uke.

My vote would be for a wah pedal... you can do tons of fun stuff with one.

The only problem with them is that, since you have to rock it back and forth, a not-so-well built one might have a short lifespan if you get a little rough with it.I destroyed the potentiometer in mine by shifting too much weight onto my pedal foot...

However, if you get up around 100 dollars, they'll be pretty well built.

Hmm, I personally think that the uke doesn't need these effect pedals. I mean if you want it sounding like an e-guitar, then plsx e-guitar, and use the effects for that. You will have much more scope with two additional strings and a better variation of pick ups.
I once tried the overdrive, yeah cool for some minutes, but it was just a bad version of a distorted e-guitar sound. You can never reach the guitar sound with a ukulele, the low frequencies are just missing and you can't compensate that. However we don't want a guitar sound right? We want the Ukulele sound, you can't get by playing the guitar!
And even if you wanted to have these pedals for some fun (which won't last very long), you have to ask yourself whether it is worth investing so much money ( a good one costs 100+).
My suggestion is that if you really want these effects, you're better off buying a good amp like the Roland Micro Cube (6 effects integrated and a marvelous sound for around 100), which will be useful even if you want to play "clean" (assuming that your current amp isn't too good having none of these effects).
The only pedal I find useful for the ukulele is a pedal that can loop, but these cost 250$ +, at least the useful once

looper... another good suggestion, bof. Truly a useful pedal. The little Boss rc-2 is relatively inexpensive for what it does. could do without the built-in drum backing loops...

i actually have a Vox DA5 amp that has built-in effects into it. like brokenwing said, overdrive is fun for a couple of minutes but it's hard to actually like it when you use it to play a song. it cost me $130 though. but if you need an amp and want to try out some effects on your uke, you can try getting that so you don't have to double up on your purchases.

Ooooh pedals & I'm a gear geek...

If you're gonna go through an amp and a pedal, some light delay/slapback or reverb wouldn't be bad. It's the sort of thing any decent soundguy would throw on you in a live situation for an acoustic instrument anyway.

For the money and for fun and experiment purposes, these small Danelectro pedals are a pretty good deal. They're pretty cheap (in both senses of the word) but don't sound half bad. They go really cheap on Ebay. And should last you a little bit if you're not too rough on 'em. A good introduction to the realm of pedals at least and if you find a sound you like you can always upgrade later.

(although I can't recommend the DE1 "Tape Echo" the one I have died a little too quickly on me and was kind of persnickety to begin with. Even worse than the Echoplex it's supposed to emulate. I use a Guyatone flip tube echo in my guitar rig these days....)

But with pedals and any acoustic instrument, less is going to always be more otherwise you lose the essence of what makes it sound good to begin with.

watch jakes vids on stage six.

he talks about how he used to think he was the s** when he had whammy pedals and all that junk for his ukulele.

now, he says, he has wised up and is sticking to the regular beautiful ukulele sound that we all love!

i love jake lol.

well i pretty much just like it when people who are even superstars can sit down and make fun of themselves sometimes.

it shows that you are not full of complete poopoo.

anyway what im trying to get at is....stick with the regular ukulele sound. If you play it right it can sound like anything you want it to sound like!

lol

peace

Ah... see, when I said that I liked using a wah pedal with my uke... I didn't mean with an acoustic-electric. I own a solidbody Bugsgear Eleuke... which fits with a pedal rather nicely.

I agree whole heartedly that an acoustic uke should be an acoustic ukulele, not a screaming distorted guitar wannabe.

Not that I'm saying that I think nobody should use pedals with an acoustic... It's just my opinion on the subject.

No dude im going to take back what i said.

It is kinda cool to use the pedals and stuff

but what i said wasnt supposed to be taken as an accusiation. I was only stating my belief on the subject. And yes i wont lie, whammy pedals are pretty sweet when used correctly. just look at herman li from dragonforce lol.

btw: i wouldnt accuse or be angry with anyone here. I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS ( AND GIRLS) HERE AT UKULELE UNDERGROUND!

:D

aloha!

Top Bottom