8 String Po'okela Custom Kanile'a

wearymicrobe

Reaction score
Was ~4K new cost and ~8 month wait. Asking 2.5K O.B.O. I am open to offers. You will never see soething like this again for sale.

Spruce top, Koa back and sides, ebony binding/headstock/bridge. Lacewood under the logo. MOP tuners in 14kt pulled back. Condition ~8.5 Has been gigged has a few strum marks, I do have top plates on it now that come with the uke.

Pictures. I will try to get a sound sample up later.

FrontSpruce.jpg

I can't believe you're selling it! OK what are you getting to replace it?

A 50th Anniversary instrument . . . OMG! :drool: Can't wait for the pics. BTW, I'm assuming it's your 50th and if it's not too premature, Ho'omaika'i 'Ana Ma Kou Ho'omana'o! (which means Congratulations on your anniversary).

What's the 50th Anniv. Tenor look like? The reason I ask is that I have become a huge fan of Kanilea. I recently bought a Kanilea tenor when I was in Hawaii this past Summer. I saw Joe and Kristen at the Ukulele Festival here in Cerritos, last month. I am hoping to get a custom from him as soon as I can save up and/or sell a couple of my ukes.

What's the 50th Anniv. Tenor look like? The reason I ask is that I have become a huge fan of Kanilea. I recently bought a Kanilea tenor when I was in Hawaii this past Summer. I saw Joe and Kristen at the Ukulele Festival here in Cerritos, last month. I am hoping to get a custom from him as soon as I can save up and/or sell a couple of my ukes.
In all likelihood, a custom model with specifications by wearymicrobe which Joe agreed to build. I'm sure there's more to it and hopefully he'll verify that. I won't even venture on cost which to me is a private matter between builder and client.

In all likelihood, a custom model with specifications by wearymicrobe which Joe agreed to build. I'm sure there's more to it and hopefully he'll verify that. I won't even venture on cost which to me is a private matter between builder and client.

Its not specific to me, though I think I was the first to be approached. I am sure MGM got a email as well as a few others who buy ukes from Joe.

There will be 50 ukes built to celebrate for the creation of the Hawaiian state. The first 20-30 are tenors/S. Tenors. The Rest open to sizing.

Their are some interesting design features that I will not go into until Joe says I can post it or it gets posted elsewhere. But its not going to coe out with me to gigs if I can snag one.

I guess my assumption was indeed an error . . . Mahalo for the clarification. Kindly disregard my 50th Anniversary comment.

Thanks for the clarification wearymicrobe...I'm still on the fence about selling my Kawika to get one from the Souzas...I might just have to save up for one...Let us know the details of the design when you are able/allowed to...Again thanks

Thanks for the clarification wearymicrobe...I'm still on the fence about selling my Kawika to get one from the Souzas...I might just have to save up for one...Let us know the details of the design when you are able/allowed to...Again thanks

I really suggest you play a Kanile'a back to back with your Kawika. You will be able to tell immediately which tone you will like, the kanile'a are a little polarizing. Specifically in the bigger sizes, very modern tone, very clear, not so string dependent.

Kanilea 50th anniversary ukulele specs

Aloha,
I just recently went to Kanilea to ask Joe to install somethin on my custom uke. He gave me a sneak peek of the ukulele and I thought id just share the specs with you cuz its was so beautiful.

-curly koa (mastergrade) side, back, neck, headstock
-ebony faceplate
-ebony fretboard
-hawaiian flag inlay in fretboard in white mother of pearl, blue and red pearloid
-maple binding
-sand binding (here's the interesting part. on the inside of the maple, they routed a channel and inlaid actual sand from ko'olau beach, hawaii. the effect is astounding because the grains are full visible)
-sand rosette with koa lettering (likewise with this one, Joe "laser"ed around hawaiian words for the rosette and filled in the the emptied parts with fine sand)
-aquila nylgut strings
-gold gear tuners

If I remember correctly thats pretty much everything. If not then if you order one, then you're in for some more goodies haha. Uncle Joe told me they would also be including a booklet (describing the process of building and designing this exquisite uke), a case, and extra strings with the purchase of the ukulele. However, he mentioned that they had not finalized the price-but I honestly think it'll be worth every penny.

Top Bottom