Bummed over a buzz...

Eriquito

Reaction score
Help! I just changed my strings for the first time and now there is an annoying buzz on my E string. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this awful noise? I tried just pretending it wasn't there but it is significant and creates a weird harmonic that makes my axe sound awfully bad, and I'm not that great to begin with...

If its something that can't be fixed, what kind of ukulele should I consider buying? I really don't want to spend more than 100 or so dollars. The ukulele that I have now is a Hilo and served me well for about 6 months until I foolishly tried to improve its sound with some 6 dollar strings. I'm bumming, please advise. :(

You may just have a bad string. It happens. First take your finger and press it over the nut to see id it stops, then on the back of the bridge. Then fret each fret and see if it stops. If it stops at a fret chances are you have a bad string. Also look at the windings around the tuner to see if its tight. There are a lot of reasons a string will buzz. My bet its a bad string. Doug

Forgot one thing, did you change to a new kind of string? If so the guage may be smaller or bigger causing a buzz.

Last edited:
I think you're right. I checked to see if the old E string would play without buzzing and discovered that it was much thicker than the new one I bought...In fact, it was essentially the same thickness as the G string...I guess since its a shoddy manufacturer they just use the same strings at different tensions...My ukulele sounds better but in the process of trying on new /old strings I cracked the bridge...Wifey seems to think a new one is in order (that's why I love her) but I think I'll just keep playing my Hilo and maybe keeping an eye out for a better one later on down the road. Thanks to both of you for your prompt replies! You have no idea how much better my mood is now. Thanks again!

What brand was the new string?

There are only so many Ukulele string brands.

Unless you used non-Ukulele strings, which could obviously be a problem.
If you didn't have the buzz when you had Hilo strings, obviously the new strings are to blame if no other apparent changes happened to the uke itself.

Top Bottom