Plastic Uke Question

FromTheWayside

Reaction score
Hi Guys -

I have a quick question. I want to buy a uke for a friend, but I can't spend too much...(she'd probably object if I spent more than $50). I was thinking about getting her a plastic uke of some kind, but I'm honestly not entirely sure what to look for. I know a bunch of people on this forum collect / play the things, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Beyond that, if someone could recommend a good stater soprano...that's work too! :D)

Thanks guys, and uke on!

Good starter with plastic body? How about a Makala Dolphin from MGM? :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-PURPLE-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a546dfcb8
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/musicguymic/?action=view&current=MVI_9186.flv
mupur.jpg

I'll agree with the makala, pretty nice actually, I got my little brother one. I think it was $53 shipped.

Buy it from MGM, he puts on nice Aquila strings and checks over the uke before sending it.

So much better than the $25 Mahalo I bought for myself.

Where's Ukisociety? I bet he knows.

I just got two Makala Dolphin's for my daughters as X-mas presents.

They sound better than my Bushman soprano... really

I am going to order one for myself and one for my wife.

two big thumbs up for MGM!

This gives me an opportunity to show off my custom Dolphin, now with autographs by Ingrid Michaelson and Eric McKeown!

4058511015_62bf302f68_b.jpg

How do you know if the Makala's are plastic bodied or laminate?

I know the newer ones are plastic, but is there a way to know for sure?

(Is looking to get one for a friend for X-mas)...

Are all of these purple? That's all I've seen.

No. They come in a variety of colors. Besides Lilac, the other butch colors ;) are black, white, green and blue. Oh, and red too.See the pic below.
How do you know if the Makala's are plastic bodied or laminate?

I know the newer ones are plastic, but is there a way to know for sure?

(Is looking to get one for a friend for X-mas)...

email MGM. That's what I did and he told me what he had in stock that were plastic. Put a note on your Ebay order and he'll make it right.

makalaukuleles.jpg

Thanks for the information, everyone. When I make a choice, I'll let you all know. Also, is it still UAS if it's for someone else?

Top Bottom