itseey bitsy question.

Malachi

Reaction score
ok, i soo far mastered switching C-Cdim, but now i have a small question regarding strumming, apon changing new chords, is it always must start with the top to down stroke upon a new chord?, sorry for the daft question, i am ignorant.

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Nope. You can go top-down, bottom-up, random fingerpicking or anything else that sounds good. What works will depend a great deal on what you're playing. Experimentation is a big part of what musicianship is all about.

--Mark

nope, you don't have to start with a down strum, you can strum however you feel like

apon changing new chords, is it always must start with the top to down stroke upon a new chord?,

Not if you don't want to. When you strum down it sounds one way. When you strum up it sounds a bit different. Depends on the sound you want.

At our gig the other night we were playing It's the End of the World and we all play a certain chord about 8 strums worth. I decided to strum up on them as others were strumming down just for the variety and to add fullness to the chord. I'm also working on a collab and in order for the fingerpicking part to sound better I strum 4-1-3-1-2-1 but upon the next chord I'm changing it to 1-4-2-4-3-4 to get the right sound. Make sense?

You will learn here on UU that there really are no hard and fast rules for ukulele playing. What works for me might not work for you. And vice versa. It's all about having fun.

Not if you don't want to. When you strum down it sounds one way. When you strum up it sounds a bit different. Depends on the sound you want.

At our gig the other night we were playing It's the End of the World and we all play a certain chord about 8 strums worth. I decided to strum up on them as others were strumming down just for the variety and to add fullness to the chord. I'm also working on a collab and in order for the fingerpicking part to sound better I strum 4-1-3-1-2-1 but upon the next chord I'm changing it to 1-4-2-4-3-4 to get the right sound. Make sense?

You will learn here on UU that there really are no hard and fast rules for ukulele playing. What works for me might not work for you. And vice versa. It's all about having fun.

Oooo I like your explanation of fingerpicking--but that seems for 3/4 time. What do you do for 4/4? I want to start experimenting! :)

CountryMouse

Top Bottom