Individual Fingerpicking

ArchDukeofUke

Reaction score
I am new to the ukulele and have been playing for under a week now. (Lanikai LU21T) I can play a bunch of basic chords (C, G, Am, F, D etc) but am looking to now figure out the best way to individually play notes, rather than just strumming full chords. I have been biting my nails forever, and have recently stopped for the sake of playing with my fingers. What is your preferred finger picking style? I can do the in-out pattern that was described on UkuleleMinutes but am looking to find out how people individually pick notes. Do you use your thumb nail (which I don't really have yet?) I noticed from some videos some people pick the ukulele almost like a bass guitar, with their four fingers facing completely downward. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I mainly just fingerpick and I've no nails to speak of (because of my work...)

So what I use instead in the pad of my fingers. The sound produced isn't as loud or as dynamic as if I were to use my nails- but it works just fine and I'm sure my family appreciates the decrease in volume.

I've also a set of Alaska Piks that I use which are kinda removable nails. And they work great- but I've taken to keeping my nails so short that even the Alaska piks don't work...

Hope that helps!

I don't use my fingernails either. So don't worry about short nails.

JJ

What fingers do you use to pick? I've seen some pick with all thumb, all pointer finger, etc. Or do you use all but your pinky?

I played classical guitar before I started playing uke so I tend to use my thumb, index, middle, and ring finger assigning one per string.

But, depending on the song, I may use just my thumb and index or my thumb, index and middle...

If I were you I'd play around with what way you are most comfortable with. I've seen some play with just there thumb and it sounds just as good.

~Valerie

I use the same fingerpicking style I do on classical guitar. And, yes, that includes the thumb... P-I-M-A (pulgar/thumb, index, middle and anular/ring). You'll have more versatility using four fingers (some even throw the pinky into the mix) than just one or two. With four fingers, you can make a complete plucked chord. :)

The good thing about nails is you don't need them to be long at all.

I also pick classical guitar style. It works fine with shorter nails.

I doubt I am alone on this. I prefer the sound of flesh on strings to finger nails on strings.

I practice both, but to me skin on strings sounds better.

I use a three finger banjo roll using thumb, index, middle. I usually pluck: 2-3-4, 1-3-4, 2-3-4, etc.

I've tried a four finger pattern using 1-3, 2-4, etc., but I am so used to anchoring both my pinky and ring finger on the sound board that a four finger pattern feels very unstable to me. I keep practicing the four finger pattern.

I vary the three finger roll patter from inside, outside, etc. I'll also pluck individual notes, or two, or three strings at once depending on what seems to fit.

How to do it?

Many hours sitting and practicing a basic roll pattern and listening to the same notes again and again and again. No easy way through that one. When you have the pattern down really well throw in a chord or two to mix things up. The picking pattern may get thrown off as you begin to add chords (the pat the head/rub the tummy thing), but just keep practicing.

Enjoy.

I doubt I am alone on this. I prefer the sound of flesh on strings to finger nails on strings.

I double that. I mean, it sounds great if I hear Aldrine and others play but I personally don't like it if I'm using my fingernails. In fact, I keep them very short so I don't accidentally hit the strings with them. This is a bit strange because most people seem to grow their fingernails when they start playing the ukulele but I'm cutting my nails more often now. ;)

One disadvantage, however, is that doing tremolo seems to be quite difficult without using your nails and I'd really like to learn it... :(

Top Bottom