George Formby vs Tiny Tim***

ukecantdothat

Reaction score
OK. Put up yer dukes! Let's let these blokes come to blows. If you love 'em, let us know. There's no shame in this thread! If you hate 'em, feel free to rip 'em a new one!

In this corner: George Formby - Uke hero, or thickheaded twit?

In this corner: Tiny Tim - Uke savior, or horse-toothed jackass?

Remember: this is a clean fight - no hitting below the belt, i.e. no insulting people's tastes/opinions.

***(please dump this thread, mod, if it's inappropriate)

I really don't have a problem with either but Tiny did do a great great disservice to Uke playing with that obnoxious falsetto voice. TT on the other hand has some great tunes and a nice voice. scored some great vinyl from both over the years and love to play them still today. Doug

Last edited:
If if wasnt for Tiny Tim most people wouldnt know what a ukulele was.
I've never heard George Formby play but I've heard Tiny Tim many many times. Now Roy Smeck...................

It's not Tiny Tim's fault that alot of ignorant people quickly associate the ukulele with "Tiptoe thru the Tulips". It's the world at large's fault for not being more informed about the greatness of the ukulele.

This is no contest....the wimpiest kid in the second grade could've kicked TT's butt.... ;)

I can agree but I think it's worse on George Formby's side because everyone I know in UK who's heard of George Formby will surely says one of two things when I take out my uke.

1. Is that a Banjo?
2. When I'm Cleaning Windows

I've never wanted to throttle so many people before in my life. So I'm gonna have to say it's a vote for Mr Tiny Tim from me.

All of our rear view mirror opinions of these two players aside, in their individual times, as musicians, they found a way to reach millions of people and become enough of a household word so as to impact the culture still today.

While neither are really my cup of tea, if I had to pick one of the two to take a look at as a player, I'd say that I have some curiosity about the "banjolele" as well as Formby's playing style. In all fairness I haven't even given TT a glance. Who knows, maybe there is some gold out there. (Anyone out there game to take 'Tulips" and turn it on its head? Shove a sweet version down the requester's throat?)

Formby recorded over 70 years ago and Tim 40 years and yet they remain enough of an force to agitate uke players today.

Fast forward to ukulele jam session in 2079? The audience pleads- "Can you play 'Weeps' on that thing?"

Fast forward to ukulele jam session in 2079? The audience pleads- "Can you play 'Weeps' on that thing?"

:rotfl: but seriously -- he's an ukulele GOD!:D

That sure spreads the aloha spirit, doesn't it?

I have respect for both of them. They made people laugh and made people happy. What more can you really ask for?

I might suggest you re-read the original post. The whole thing was posed as a "combative" comparison. It was introduced much like the intro to a boxing or wrestling match. Folks were literally invited to "rip 'em a new one". I think TT came across as a buffoon and a wimp, and I said so.

I watched him numerous times live on TV back in the day (did you?), and feel he was not so much a musician as a pathetic, creepy oddity. He was openly ridiculed on the Tonight Show, by Johnny Carson, and by others.

I believe the OP also cautioned us not to insult "peoples' tastes/opinions."

That said, I stand by my original reply. Aloha!

In the 1930's George Formby was the most succesful entertainer in the UK. In the 1960's Tiny Tim was regarded as a bit of an oddity who had one hit single.

I'm 51 and was brought up watching George Formby films, although even in my childhood they were well over 20 years old. George was also a very fine Ukulele player and although his songs are primarily for comedy they are extremely well written both lyrically and musically. Have a proper listen to Leaning on a Lamppost and you'll see it is actually a great LOVE song.

He was also a huge inspiration to many musicians such as George Harrison, Joe Brown, Neil Innes and (dare I add) Doc Cox/Ivor Biggun.

To top it all he is a Lancastrian!!

TT or GF? There's no contest really.

Ian.

I'm 49 and I also grew up with Formby movies. I like George, and I ain't scared to say it.

I know little of Mr Khaury's act beyond 'Tulips' which was popular in the UK when I was a kid. I have nothing against him. I gather that he was a serious collector and preserver of traditional songs, which makes him a good bloke in my book.

Both are fine with me. No need to fight. :)

I might suggest you re-read the original post. The whole thing was posed as a "combative" comparison. It was introduced much like the intro to a boxing or wrestling match. Folks were literally invited to "rip 'em a new one". I think TT came across as a buffoon and a wimp, and I said so.

I watched him numerous times live on TV back in the day (did you?), and feel he was not so much a musician as a pathetic, creepy oddity. He was openly ridiculed on the Tonight Show, by Johnny Carson, and by others.

I believe the OP also cautioned us not to insult "peoples' tastes/opinions."

That said, I stand by my original reply. Aloha!
Oooof! Right back with a jab to TT's plexus! That's good, too, to remind everyone of the "no insults" rule. Check yourself... You're OK - just a small cut above the eye. No offense taken I hope!

BTW - TT was openly mocked over and over, in front of his face I might add, on the Howard Stern show. And he kept coming back for more. What a sport!

Last edited:
They had their day, but I'm happy to ignore them both equally.

Ukantor.

I'll take a cheerfully goofy artist that has fun with the ukulele than a humorless, stuck-up musical elitist who has superior technique but trashes other artists and genres any day.

(Not targeting anyone in this thread, or on this whole forum, for that matter. But I've run into musicians with HUGE chips on their shoulder, and their attitudes suck the fun out of music.)

In the 1930's George Formby was the most succesful entertainer in the UK. In the 1960's Tiny Tim was regarded as a bit of an oddity who had one hit single.

I'm 51 and was brought up watching George Formby films, although even in my childhood they were well over 20 years old. George was also a very fine Ukulele player and although his songs are primarily for comedy they are extremely well written both lyrically and musically. Have a proper listen to Leaning on a Lamppost and you'll see it is actually a great LOVE song.

He was also a huge inspiration to many musicians such as George Harrison, Joe Brown, Neil Innes and (dare I add) Doc Cox/Ivor Biggun.

To top it all he is a Lancastrian!!
Oh, Doctor!!! Give TT some ice for that blow! One wonders how much of an influence HE had on the likes of George Harrison and that lot! TT's stumbling around like he just drank a bottle of cough syrup!

FYI - George Harrison did more for the uke than anyone I can think of. A true master. Evidence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

I'll take a cheerfully goofy artist that has fun with the ukulele than a humorless, stuck-up musical elitist who has superior technique but trashes other artists and genres any day.

(Not targeting anyone in this thread, or on this whole forum, for that matter. But I've run into musicians with HUGE chips on their shoulder, and their attitudes suck the fun out of music.)
Yep. I run into these buzzkills on a daily basis. They wouldn't know a good time if it punched 'em in the face!

Top Bottom