mainland - wonky bridge

bazmaz

Reaction score
Hate to say it, but there is something niggling me bout my Mainland concert.

I'm convinced that the bridge is slightly off, a bit too high on the G string side (ie a bit too close to the nut end)

There is very little in it, plus the grain of wood on my top is a bit wavy and I think an optical illusion is going on too.

Anyway, i measured it, and I also put a straight edge at base of bridge and it is def glued on askew.

Anyway - I may be being ignorant here, as before my mainland I played cheap ukes. I do however play some very nice acoustic guitars, and those saddles are on an angle for a reason.

My Flea uke however has a dead straight saddle - and on the mainland, I could kinda understand it if the saddle itself was cut on an angle, but it is the whole rosewood surround that looks off to me.

maybe it is my eyes, but I am also unhappy with intonation of the G string...

Should I get replaced, or are your Mainlands similar?

(I sound picky - but when I look at it, it just looks set wrong - see picture here - I have a straight edged piece of paper flush to the bottom end of the saddle mounting...

picture.php

Unless the intonation is really off, it shouldn't be a problem. I've heard that some makers (Kanile'a, for one) don't always have the bridge mathematically centered, because the proper sound and tension might not always be right there. Kinda like how magnetic and true north aren't the same. ;)

Whoa.. Im usually not a very picky person but that would bug me... But then again, it might be that way for itonation accuracy like what Sesso mentioned, I would check it.

If Itonation is right on, I would probably let it go

It looks to be slanted, you've measured it and confirmed that it is slanted, the intonation on the G string is unsatisfactory. Doesn't look good. I'd get back to the vendor and see what they say.

Ukantor.

Last edited:
Send Hoosierhiver a message. I'm sure he'll help you out.

Thanks all

Yep, it looks off, it measures off, and the intonation on the G string is off.

Actually, the grain on the top is also not square, which doesnt help (kind of optical illusion thing) - and to be honest the off square grain bugs me too!

Thankfully - the decent UK dealer I bought from is shipping out a new one next week and courier will take this back to him.

Love my Mainland, and the shop said this is the first prob they've seen. I sent him the picture and that swung it.

paulmjuk, That's good news. That is what SHOULD happen in these rare cases of a new uke being unsatisfactory.

I am saddened by the thought of what will happen to the "wonky" one. I hope it doesn't end up in a skip (dumpster). All it needs is a custom made offset saddle, but I'll bet no one will take the trouble. It would make a great, cheap, playable uke for someone.

Anyway, the vendor deserves much respect for their response.

Ukantor.

slight hiccup on the replacement - the good guys at music store are happy to replace, but only have slotted headstock variety in, and due to massive demand, 10 week wait on my model!

arrrgghhh! more money! - ah well - best to get it replaced, and I do like the slotted headstock version actually!

It's only money, Paul. You'd only waste on things like food and rent anyway.

Enjoy your new uke!

John Colter.

Sorry Paul, I had the last concert from Eagle , and very nice it is too. The slotted one was cute though!!

ha! when I phoned them and they explained that they only had the slotted- I said to them that I think I knew who had bought it!!!

anyway - you have done me a peverse favour I think - when I ordered the stock concert I was tempted for the slotted, but in a rare moment of financial sensibility, said no.... now I have no choice, and it is the one I secretly wanted!!

Enjoy it Paul it too looked great.
They are really nice people up there, glad they looked after you!:)

Update - the wonderful guys at Eagle Music have swapped it and I now have a slotted headstock model - which is a beauty -

I did really like the ebony tuners on the other one, and these are white, but I still love it. lovely grain on the top and on the fingerboard.

Pics to follow

Glad to hear it all turned out alright in the end.

Top Bottom