Fluke and Tuners With Vibration

jongre

Reaction score
Hey, I recently got my first ukulele, this fluke (for only $185 :D), and I love the thing. Except when its out of tune of course. And I won't always have a trusty online tuner at hand, so I was looking into some compact tuners, like the Meisel Clip-On , or the IMT-500.

The thing I like about them is even if I'm in a noisy environment, the vibrations will help me. But since it gets the vibrations through the headstock, and flukes have an unconventional headstock, I'm not sure how they work, and am weary of paying $30 for a paperweight.

Basically, I just want to know if anyone with these kind of tuners knows how compatible they are with flukes. Thanks all.

I use an IMT-900 (basically the same as the 500), and love it.

I own the Meisel, and I'm really happy with it. I've never used it on a Fluke, though. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems, but don't quote me on that.

Isn't there a music store you can go to that will let you try it out on your Fluke before buying it?

the IMT500 will work. just clip it anywhere it will clip to on the uke. the vibrations will be trasmitted. ive even clipped it to the tuning knobs. haha. hell, ive even clamped a metal file to the head stock, then stuck the tuner on the metal file and it still worked. and on one of my guitars, it was having trouble sensing the vibes when clipped to the headstock, so i clipped it to the sound hole. i figured the soundboard did the most vibrating. that works just fine too.

the Meisel & Intelli IMT500 are the exact same tuner - just branded with different names. they work great on ukes. sometimes they get a little confused on guitar's low E (not enough tone frequency to sample, I guess) but are unfailingly accurate on my uke. I have 3 since I misplace things.:D

"and on one of my guitars, it was having trouble sensing the vibes when clipped to the headstock, so i clipped it to the sound hole."

i didnt do it to an uke.

question because I pressed all the buttons and don't know what it was originally at =)

I have the Chromatic tuner ft-800
At the Top it has A4 and a number under it that can be scrolled from 420-460, I have no idea what the number is for but I know it tunes it different so I need to know what to put it back to so my uke is tuned correctly (gcea)

thanks

Thanks guys for all the helpful responses. You put me at ease about buying one.

question because I pressed all the buttons and don't know what it was originally at =)

I have the Chromatic tuner ft-800
At the Top it has A4 and a number under it that can be scrolled from 420-460, I have no idea what the number is for but I know it tunes it different so I need to know what to put it back to so my uke is tuned correctly (gcea)

thanks
Set it to 440.

standard is 440 (cycles). Unless you're tuning to another instrument's standard (like a woodwind or brass) use 440.

I'll ditto what everyone else here has said. I've used the IMT-500 with a fluke and a flea, no problemo. A=440. :D

Hey, I recently got my first ukulele, this fluke (for only $185 :D), and I love the thing. Except when its out of tune of course. And I won't always have a trusty online tuner at hand, so I was looking into some compact tuners, like the Meisel Clip-On , or the IMT-500.

The thing I like about them is even if I'm in a noisy environment, the vibrations will help me. But since it gets the vibrations through the headstock, and flukes have an unconventional headstock, I'm not sure how they work, and am weary of paying $30 for a paperweight.

Basically, I just want to know if anyone with these kind of tuners knows how compatible they are with flukes. Thanks all.

how'd you pick it up for only $185?

I went to my local music store and the IMT-500 was set to $39.95. Is that normal price b/c on ebay they run for a good 19.99

That's retail for you. You'll find anything for less than retail on eBay. If you want it in your hands instantly, you'll have to pay retail.

Top Bottom