PDA

View Full Version : uke maker hurt...prayers for recovery

MGM
11-11-2009, 05:21 AM
I was shocked and saddened watching the news on tv last night when I heard a Man got beat up and mobbed trying to stop someone from stealing his bike. Tangi Tully who owns Tangi ukulele was hurt while trying to stop thieves and is in the hospital. I wish him a speedy recovery and my prayers are with him.

Rzr
11-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Hope he gets well soon.

Rainhill
11-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Hope he recovers soon, and the bike turns up......what a pathetic thing to do :mad:

I dont know much about Tangi, but loved his Manini sopranino.

NewMexicoDawG
11-11-2009, 05:33 AM
:)Sending my prayers his way:)

seeso
11-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Oh, man. That's horrible news. I hope he pulls through soon.

Kanaka916
11-11-2009, 05:38 AM
I also wish Tangi a speedy recovery. Mike, do you know the extent of his injuries? Found this article from KHON (http://www.khon2.com/content/news/developingstories/story/Man-Beaten-Outside-of-Honolulu-Bar/Xs34JSDlrUKemIOy-TfW1Q.cspx) but really didn't say much. Man that sucks!

sebi
11-11-2009, 05:40 AM
All my best wishes and thoughts go out to him. Get well very, very soon!

buddhuu
11-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Very best wishes for his quick recovery. :(

wfwhitson
11-11-2009, 05:48 AM
He is in my thoughts today, hoping for a speedy recovery.

generem
11-11-2009, 05:51 AM
Wishing Tangi a quick Recovery.

UkuleleHill
11-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Hoping for his speedy recvery!

ukecantdothat
11-11-2009, 06:03 AM
That is just horrible news. I will pray that Instant Karma is going to get all these thieves I've been reading about in this forum of late.

jerickson
11-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Praying for him to get well soon!

Landshark
11-11-2009, 06:14 AM
That sucks, hope he gets better soon.

mangorockfish
11-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Hoping for a speedy recovery. And to any thieves who might be reading this, you reap what you sew.

bbycrts
11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Tangi's been through enough! Praying for peace for him and a speedy recovery!

uke552
11-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Terrible news...my thoughts and prayers will be with him and family.

ukeonthebeach
11-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Sad and pathetic. :( Hope he recovers quickly.

nohandles
11-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Our prayers will certainly go out for a quick and full recovery. Doug

MGM
11-11-2009, 06:58 AM
Just got off the phone with Tangi and he's okay but really hurt. They broke his jaw in 2 places shattered his eye socket among other things. I hope they catch the guys really quick....He goes in for surgury tonight on his Jaw.

ukeshale
11-11-2009, 06:59 AM
All the best. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

sukie
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
How horrible. Hope the surgery goes ok and he's feeling better soon.

mds725
11-11-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm praying for him that his surgery goes well and he heals quickly. As a bicyclist, I can't believe people can be so vicious just to steal a bicycle. As a human, I can't believe people can be so vicious for any reason.

Tsani
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
I will be praying for Tangi. He is a TRUE ukulele HERO! I salute him. He is injured not because of anything he was doing for himself - but because he was trying to restrain evil and restore the property of another. His actions deserve the admiration of all, and may our Heavenly Father restore him quickly to full health.

As for the thieves, if they are caught, they should be sentenced to never hear another note of music and to never be transported on wheels.

Maybe my next uke should be a Tangi...

MGM
11-11-2009, 08:08 AM
heres a news link

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11482344

Ukulele JJ
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
What a shame. My thoughts are with him, MGM.

:(

JJ

Rubbertoe
11-11-2009, 10:57 AM
this is an infuriating thing to hear. i'm sorry this happened and my prayers go out to him for a quick recovery.

thejumpingflea
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Disgusting. I hope karma intervenes. He is in my prayers.

Ahnko Honu
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
I saw that on the news yesterday and thought he looked familiar under the bruising and swelling but the name they used (Blackford Tully) I did not recognize, I only know him as Tangi. Prayers go out to Tangi, he's been having a very rough year. So sad.

phanzo
11-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Certainly a terrible act and I wish him a speedy recovery. People like that make me sick!

HumbleSounds
11-11-2009, 12:27 PM
My heart goes out to him. May his recovery be swift, and may his spirit comforted by all the kind and loving souls that wish him well. The perpetrators of this act will reap what they have sown. At the very least they will have to live with such violence inside themselves a weight there heart will have to bear. I pray they see the light, and are delivered from the cycle of violence.

Aloha

Uncle-Taco
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm so sad to hear that. Deepest prayers for Tangi in his recovery and for continued success for him and his family.

Steve vanPelt
11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Get well soon, Tangi. We've never met but I have one of your koa concerts and I love it. We'll be praying for your speedy recovery.
Steve

Big_e
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I bicycle everywhere and can relate. My thoughts and prayers are with Tangi. Hope he gets better soon.
Ernest

Ahnko Honu
11-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I know he's been having financial difficulties and I hope he has medical insurance to cover expenses. So evil and heartless what those criminals did.

pigwig
11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
:(

Best wishes and speedy recovery.

CountryMouse
11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I was shocked and saddened watching the news on tv last night when I heard a Man got beat up and mobbed trying to stop someone from stealing his bike. Tangi Tully who owns Tangi ukulele was hurt while trying to stop thieves and is in the hospital. I wish him a speedy recovery and my prayers are with him.

My prayers are with him.

CountryMouse

luke'nlele
11-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Does anyone have an address to send get well cards?

Ron and Jeanne

Teek
11-11-2009, 09:10 PM
This kind of event makes me so sad, that people would beat a man almost to death over a bicycle, and for it to happen to a good, contributing member of society is sadder. :(

I hope something good comes out of this for him, maybe he will get more support as a builder.

I wish him a speedy recovery and the gift of a light heart in spite of his troubles. We are what we think.

ukeninam
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
:( oh no...my prayers are definitely with him...

Dino
11-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I know he's been having financial difficulties and I hope he has medical insurance to cover expenses. So evil and heartless what those criminals did.

Hey Ahnko,
Actually, Tangi has no health insurance. He's been having such a difficult time with getting business, he could not keep up with the $900+ a month medical insurance, so they canceled his policy. Tangi told me the Bar that he was at is going to hold a fundraiser for him. Deech asked if me if there is a way people can donate money to help defer medical costs. I will try and call a bank or my credit union and see.

Dino
11-11-2009, 11:19 PM
I also wish Tangi a speedy recovery. Mike, do you know the extent of his injuries? Found this article from KHON (http://www.khon2.com/content/news/developingstories/story/Man-Beaten-Outside-of-Honolulu-Bar/Xs34JSDlrUKemIOy-TfW1Q.cspx) but really didn't say much. Man that sucks!

After seeing the story the night before last on the news, the next day I went to bring him a fruit basket. The story I heard didn't give full detail of his injuries so I was unaware that he would not be able to chew, but like MGM posted, his jaw was broken in 2 places....1 in front and 1 on the side. They wired his jaw shut yesterday. He will be like that for the next 5-6 weeks. His eye socket was damaged too. When I visited him yest, he already had staples on the top of his head to close the wound there. Other than that, hes in good spirits.

Sambient
11-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Hey Ahnko,
Actually, Tangi has no health insurance. He's been having such a difficult time with getting business, he could not keep up with the $900+ a month medical insurance, so they canceled his policy. Tangi told me the Bar that he was at is going to hold a fundraiser for him. Deech asked if me if there is a way people can donate money to help defer medical costs. I will try and call a bank or my credit union and see.

Would there maybe be a Paypal account that donations could be made?

PeformanceUke
11-12-2009, 12:32 AM
I wish Tangi a speedy recovery. What i find a little disturbing is tangi was watching football with "friends" at a bar, according to the link someone posted.

If they had any amount of decency of a man our any loyalism as a friend they would of try to help. I wouldn't consider a person a friend if they would stand on the sidelines, in a situation like Tangi suffered.

luke'nlele
11-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Would there maybe be a Paypal account that donations could be made?

That's a great idea!

Ron and Jeanne

Lanark
11-12-2009, 04:19 AM
that's just awful. I wish him a speedy recovery.

gnordenstam
11-12-2009, 04:28 AM
What a horrific experience - to be beaten so badly. If a mechanism is setup for donations, please let us know.
--Garry

pithaya9
11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
After seeing the story the night before last on the news, the next day I went to bring him a fruit basket. The story I heard didn't give full detail of his injuries so I was unaware that he would not be able to chew, but like MGM posted, his jaw was broken in 2 places....1 in front and 1 on the side. They wired his jaw shut yesterday. He will be like that for the next 5-6 weeks. His eye socket was damaged too. When I visited him yest, he already had staples on the top of his head to close the wound there. Other than that, hes in good spirits.

Thanks for the update Dino, please keep us informed as to how we can help Tangi through this tough time.

Jack

Ahnko Honu
11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Hey Ahnko,

Mahalo for the info Dino, $900 sounds about right, that's what I was paying before my savings went dry. Is there a way we can help him sell his 'ukuleles while he's off his feet? He still has a good inventory of beautiful 'ukuleles at great prices. Would he let you or MGM auction some off on eBay to help with his expenses all profits towards his medical expenses? There's a 'Ukulele Guild of Hawai'i exhibition in Waikiki on the 21st and 22nd. Does Tangi belong to the Guild? I wonder if there's a way we can work these two things together too. Dino or Mike, can you PM me the what hospital, and room Tangi is in? Mahalo.

Ahnko Honu
11-12-2009, 08:36 AM
Dino or Mike, can you PM me the what hospital, and room Tangi is in? Mahalo.

Mahalo Mike!

mctrmt
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow, what terrible news! I wish him a speedy recovery and, like others, would certainly contribute to some kind of fund.

telebob
11-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Sad to hear the bad news, but good to know Tangi survived the incident. I will add Tangi to my prayer list and send good vibes for a speedy recovery. Much aloha!

Dominator
11-12-2009, 08:52 AM
This is awfull. I wish him a rapid recovery.

itsme
11-12-2009, 10:14 AM
heres a news link

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11482344
That's just horrible. And they're already "downgraded" the incident? :mad:

"Police re-classified the case from a second-degree assault to a second-degree robbery."

I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

They say hindsight is 20/20, but I probably would have just let them take the bike. His life is worth so much more than some material object that can be replaced. :(

SuperSecretBETA
11-12-2009, 11:34 AM
That's just horrible. And they're already "downgraded" the incident? :mad:

"Police re-classified the case from a second-degree assault to a second-degree robbery."

Yeah, I don't understand that. Why not both?

"The guys that were there were let go actually because I couldn't identify them because I was out cold."

I'm not sure if he was talking about the witnesses or the detained suspects. If they used their fists, you might see redness or cuts in their knuckles, which seems enough to at least keep them as persons of interest. Maybe they had blood transferred on them.

Sonseeker30
11-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I pray for healing and strength for Tangi...I hope they catch the idiot that did such an awful thing.

keola24
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I wish Tangi a speedy recovery. What i find a little disturbing is tangi was watching football with "friends" at a bar, according to the link someone posted.

If they had any amount of decency of a man our any loyalism as a friend they would of try to help. I wouldn't consider a person a friend if they would stand on the sidelines, in a situation like Tangi suffered.

Please don't jump to conclusions about his friends. I was the third person to arrive at the scene of the crime. None of us sitting with him had any idea where he went or why he went outside. I promise you that if we did, there would have been a different ending to this story.

keola24
11-22-2009, 08:27 PM
We are having a fundraiser to help defray the medical costs that Tangi has incurred. The Shack Waikiki, December 6, 2009, 5pm - 10pm. There will be entertainment, food, silent auction, and a raffle. Tickets are $15.00/advanced and $20.00/@ the door. For tickets or donations please email friendsoftangi@gmail.com

Milla
11-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Where is the event? Always hate to see bad things happen to good people.

cocohonk
11-23-2009, 03:15 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this! VIBES for a speedy recovery.

JKoval
11-23-2009, 04:04 AM
MGM, do you know him personally enough that you have personal contact information? Perhaps we could step in and help him get a little (emotionally) better.

dnewton2
11-23-2009, 04:32 AM
MGM, do you know him personally enough that you have personal contact information? Perhaps we could step in and help him get a little (emotionally) better.

MGM probably does know Tangi, but there have been a few thread from Ahnko Honu about Tangi selling his ukes on craigslist.
Here. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21751&highlight=TANGI)
and here. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21689&highlight=TANGI)

Also Dino posted a thread about donating to him here. (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21824&highlight=TANGI)

I think his email is in there somewhere if you wanted to contact him directly.

MGM
11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Yes i know him very well I like to take my uke bass and jam with him at the Princess Kaiulani every onece in awhile but since i cant phone him unless his wife answers due to his jaw wired shut i cant really talk to him

Kanaka916
11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Dino is a also a personal friend. He started this thread (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21824) concerning Tanji.

keola24
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes i know him very well I like to take my uke bass and jam with him at the Princess Kaiulani every onece in awhile but since i cant phone him unless his wife answers due to his jaw wired shut i cant really talk to him

Text him, he will text back.

keola24
11-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Where is the event? Always hate to see bad things happen to good people.

The Shack Waikiki(Waikiki Trade Center)

Dino
11-23-2009, 10:11 PM
The Shack Waikiki(Waikiki Trade Center)

December 6th, 5 to 10pm at The Shack Waikiki for Tangi's first fundraiser.

Please come if you can.

Tangi's bills so far exceed $40,000