Removal of Post Count and User Rank

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

Last edited:
*Braces for the storm*

I'll miss the fun. But hey - that's not what UU is about. I'm sad to see the ranks go away, though - don't care so much about the rep and the post counts. Mostly I'm sad because I was so happy to see the ukulele captain rank come and go so quickly.

That said - I hope there's no storm. We talked last night about UU's mission, and it's not about post counts or ranks or rep points. It's about the next generation of ukulele. I for one won't be harshing the ALOHA here by whining about the silly stuff.

This means we can't get in trouble for talking on the ahnko thread anymore! Fine by me :D

I think this works.

I think they would have been fine to keep around, after some explanation of their uses. I have been a member since Feb 08 and never realized you could even give "rep points" until recently. Maybe if there was a thread that layed down some rules and guidelines to proper usage, things would go back to being positive and properly used (I apologize if there is already a thread explaining this, maybe I just passed it over at some point).

Anyway, you guys are awesome and I'm on board with whatever you think should be done to better our lives here on the Underground. You know better than I do, just wanted to give my :2cents:

That said - I hope there's no storm. We talked last night about UU's mission, and it's not about post counts or ranks or rep points. It's about the next generation of ukulele. I for one won't be harshing the ALOHA here by whining about the silly stuff.

That was my thought, we didn't have rep points or user titles for the first year and maybe its implementation was part of the problems we were experiencing. These things may come back in the future but for now I just wanted to see if it does help things.

Last edited:
The only downside I see to this is in the Marketplace, where a heavy post count helps identify the person as a long-term contributing member, and not some scammer who just dropped in to try to sell something.

I always thought the Rep thing was silly, and the titles seemed like harmless fun. But it does seem a little odd to kill the post count.

But it's your house, and your heart is totally in the right place, so I support any decision you make.

Keep up the great work! :shaka:

It's a good idea. I think it's gonna eliminate some issues almost immediately.

The only downside I see to this is in the Marketplace, where a heavy post count helps identify the person as a long-term contributing member, and not some scammer who just dropped in to try to sell something.

I always thought the Rep thing was silly, and the titles seemed like harmless fun. But it does seem a little odd to kill the post count.

But it's your house, and your heart is totally in the right place, so I support any decision you make.

Keep up the great work! :shaka:

That is a very good point, we talked about the verified seller program last night so that just means we will need to quickly get that into action.

I completly agree with this, I see no reason why we really need to know how many whatever we have. I feel better knowing it is gone. Now we can just be us and not a number of posts, or a certain number of green dots or red or blue or whatever :)

I'll miss the fun. But hey - that's not what UU is about. I'm sad to see the ranks go away, though - don't care so much about the rep and the post counts. Mostly I'm sad because I was so happy to see the ukulele captain rank come and go so quickly.

:agree::agree::agree:

All of that is still in the user's statistics under their profile. So it's an extra step to find out if you're interested in knowing how much a seller participates, but it's not in your face with every post.

On my "other" site, we don't have user rank and allow members to put a (short) custom title under their user name if they want. Mods and other distinguished personae have their names in a different color. The software also has the ability to not count posts in certain forums, which we use to keep the post hos at bay.

--Mark

After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

Even though I had just gained my hero status I think this is fine. It took me over a year to get to that point and I'm not really a hero. I support this decision and I do hate to see the captain title leave but that is fine too. To quote Dilmar from "O' Brother Where Art Thou"--- "I'm with you fellers."

EXCELLENT idea. I have always loved forums more when there's no post count or reputation points. Reputation should be an actual reputation, not green lights or points. And post count.. lol. Very good move, UU!

Whatever you guys decided to do is fine with me. I know you have the best interest of all of us in your hearts.

eh, it's all good.

It was getting to the point where you couldn't swing a clever witticism without hitting a ukulele hero.

I do hope that we can keep Rule 2, though. :rulez:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom