PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Post Count and User Rank

rayan
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM
After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

seeso
11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
*Braces for the storm*

bbycrts
11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I'll miss the fun. But hey - that's not what UU is about. I'm sad to see the ranks go away, though - don't care so much about the rep and the post counts. Mostly I'm sad because I was so happy to see the ukulele captain rank come and go so quickly.

That said - I hope there's no storm. We talked last night about UU's mission, and it's not about post counts or ranks or rep points. It's about the next generation of ukulele. I for one won't be harshing the ALOHA here by whining about the silly stuff.

ukeshale
11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
This means we can't get in trouble for talking on the ahnko thread anymore! Fine by me :D

I think this works.

phanzo
11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I think they would have been fine to keep around, after some explanation of their uses. I have been a member since Feb 08 and never realized you could even give "rep points" until recently. Maybe if there was a thread that layed down some rules and guidelines to proper usage, things would go back to being positive and properly used (I apologize if there is already a thread explaining this, maybe I just passed it over at some point).

Anyway, you guys are awesome and I'm on board with whatever you think should be done to better our lives here on the Underground. You know better than I do, just wanted to give my :2cents:

Rzr
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Not a big deal for me.

rayan
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
That said - I hope there's no storm. We talked last night about UU's mission, and it's not about post counts or ranks or rep points. It's about the next generation of ukulele. I for one won't be harshing the ALOHA here by whining about the silly stuff.

That was my thought, we didn't have rep points or user titles for the first year and maybe its implementation was part of the problems we were experiencing. These things may come back in the future but for now I just wanted to see if it does help things.

Thumper
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
The only downside I see to this is in the Marketplace, where a heavy post count helps identify the person as a long-term contributing member, and not some scammer who just dropped in to try to sell something.

I always thought the Rep thing was silly, and the titles seemed like harmless fun. But it does seem a little odd to kill the post count.

But it's your house, and your heart is totally in the right place, so I support any decision you make.

Keep up the great work! :shaka:

ukeshale
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
It's a good idea. I think it's gonna eliminate some issues almost immediately.

rayan
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
The only downside I see to this is in the Marketplace, where a heavy post count helps identify the person as a long-term contributing member, and not some scammer who just dropped in to try to sell something.

I always thought the Rep thing was silly, and the titles seemed like harmless fun. But it does seem a little odd to kill the post count.

But it's your house, and your heart is totally in the right place, so I support any decision you make.

Keep up the great work! :shaka:

That is a very good point, we talked about the verified seller program last night so that just means we will need to quickly get that into action.

UkuleleHill
11-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I completly agree with this, I see no reason why we really need to know how many whatever we have. I feel better knowing it is gone. Now we can just be us and not a number of posts, or a certain number of green dots or red or blue or whatever :)

UkuleleHill
11-11-2009, 10:14 AM
*Braces for the storm*

::Gives Seeso Massage:: You my friend are too tense... :)

veep
11-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll miss the fun. But hey - that's not what UU is about. I'm sad to see the ranks go away, though - don't care so much about the rep and the post counts. Mostly I'm sad because I was so happy to see the ukulele captain rank come and go so quickly.

:agree::agree::agree:

Blrfl
11-11-2009, 10:22 AM

All of that is still in the user's statistics under their profile. So it's an extra step to find out if you're interested in knowing how much a seller participates, but it's not in your face with every post.

On my "other" site, we don't have user rank and allow members to put a (short) custom title under their user name if they want. Mods and other distinguished personae have their names in a different color. The software also has the ability to not count posts in certain forums, which we use to keep the post hos at bay.

--Mark

haolejohn
11-11-2009, 10:22 AM
After lots of requests and concerns from multiple members, I've decided to remove the post count, user title and user reputation features from the forum.

The true purpose of these functions were to reward those who contribute to the community by helping other members. We've been noticing increased gaming of these systems and they weren't really serving their intended function anymore. In fact it could be said that the opposite of what we had intended was happening.

Instead, we will probably be instituting a medal system to reward those who have been extremely helpful to the community. More details on that in the future.

We realize that the Captain Google Title was a big deal for many and although I did agree to it yesterday, the more I thought about it, I could not leave it on. The reason is the same as I said in the stream. It is unfortunate but there will probably be many others who pass on from UU and we can't set a precedence of action for these situations.

The Ukulele Hero Title has also been removed to prevent gaming the post count system.

Even though I had just gained my hero status I think this is fine. It took me over a year to get to that point and I'm not really a hero. I support this decision and I do hate to see the captain title leave but that is fine too. To quote Dilmar from "O' Brother Where Art Thou"--- "I'm with you fellers."

Link
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
EXCELLENT idea. I have always loved forums more when there's no post count or reputation points. Reputation should be an actual reputation, not green lights or points. And post count.. lol. Very good move, UU!

JT_Ukes
11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Sall good...

although "Senior Member" sounds like an old... Nevermind.

:)

Ronnie Aloha
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Whatever you guys decided to do is fine with me. I know you have the best interest of all of us in your hearts.

UKISOCIETY
11-11-2009, 10:36 AM
eh, it's all good.

It was getting to the point where you couldn't swing a clever witticism without hitting a ukulele hero.

I do hope that we can keep Rule 2, though. :rulez:

unluckymum
11-11-2009, 10:40 AM
eh, it's all good.

It was getting to the point where you couldn't swing a clever witticism without hitting a ukulele hero.

What is rule 2 ?

bbycrts
11-11-2009, 10:46 AM
What is rule 2 ?

You do NOT talk about Fight Club.

E-Lo Roberts
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree with the removal. Let's talk uke, not pecking order.

unluckymum
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Ah- got it

DeG
11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Sweet, I'm off the hook for not having a 1000th post contest!!!:D

thejumpingflea
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
You can still see the post count of a member on their profile.

UkuleleHill
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
You can still see the post count of a member on their profile.

shhhhhhhhhh

JT_Ukes
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM

Reminds me..

I used to work at Blockbuster and this group of 5 or 6 kids in their late teens came in, one of them came over aand asked if we had "Fight Club"

I told her, straight faced. "I can't talk about Fight club"

she looked confused.

the rest of her group broke up laughing.

It was wonderful.

Kanaka916
11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Sweet, I'm off the hook for not having a 1000th post contest!!!:D
If you want, I can remind you (which is not a problem) . . . just something to think about. lol!

DeG
11-11-2009, 11:35 AM
If you want, I can remind you (which is not a problem) . . . just something to think about. lol!

Thanks Kanaka, you're always so helpful! I would give you a pos rep point if I could...:D

phanzo
11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Even though I had just gained my hero status I think this is fine. It took me over a year to get to that point and I'm not really a hero. I support this decision and I do hate to see the captain title leave but that is fine too. To quote Dilmar from "O' Brother Where Art Thou"--- "I'm with you fellers."

Leave it to John to quote O' Brother Where Art Thou :D (That's a really funny part of a VERY funny movie BTW).

Anywho, I agree about the removal of the titles. Sad to see the Captain title exist for less than 24 hours (and I'm sorry, John, that you were stripped of your 'hero' title so quickly. You're still a hero to me :p ). I always liked to see post counts as well. The "rep points" removal is understandable but I always enjoyed the other things. It's ok though, as I said before, whatever you guys think is best for the community...I'm on board with.

phanzo
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Reminds me..

I used to work at Blockbuster and this group of 5 or 6 kids in their late teens came in, one of them came over aand asked if we had "Fight Club"

she looked confused.

It was wonderful.

I don't care who your are, that's funny right there!!!

buddhuu
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
No probs.

Frills and bells and whistles may come and go, but UU is UU. :D

HaileISela
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
good news!

I think this will make UU more grown up and healthy. you guys are a fine bunch!

One Aloha!

Faricelli
11-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Reminds me..

she looked confused.

It was wonderful.

That is funny.

salukulady
11-11-2009, 12:17 PM
What is rule 2 ?I'd tell you but then I'd hafta kill you.;)

haole
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
No problem with that! While post-whoring to make it to the next level is fun, it's not really necessary. I'm interested in how a merit-based system will work in the future. After all, there are some members who post very infrequently and yet still contribute a great deal to the forum.

phanzo
11-11-2009, 12:21 PM
After all, there are some members who post very infrequently and yet still contribute a great deal to the forum.

I like to think that I fall into that category. I probably don't, but I like to think I do and that's what helps me get by, day in and day out.

I'm interested to see what comes about with this "merit system" as well.

UkeNinja
11-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Onward to a truly equal egalitarian community? Sounds good. Unlike all those oblivious of the rep system (amazing!), I will miss checking if anyone liked my musings (narcissism). It would be great if there is a way to distinguish effort/involvement per member, but it may very well be there is no way to do such thing and not have certain types abuse it.

I will also miss the threads of people who do not recognize that it's precisely their obnoxiousness that got them a neg rep, and go on ranting about the anonimous cowardlyness of the rep system. Yes, a foul thought but noone is perfect.

To conclude, two thumbs up for the UU team and their toilet-paper-style involvement with the business! :nana:
(is this correct use of the term, rayan?)

ogikloavailable
11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
not a big deal. I'm fine. As long as the forum rollin,i'll keep postin some words :D.

Melissa82
11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
It would be great if there is a way to distinguish effort/involvement per member, but it may very well be there is no way to do such thing and not have certain types abuse it.[/SIZE]People can always go to someones profile and make a comment on them about whatever it is they have a comment about, lol. Then people can view them. Only thing is that I believe you have the option to delete them.

rogue_wave
11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I feel relieved that I no longer have to think about how to join in the Ahnko thread so I could build a respectable post count. ;)

I think the coolest thing that everyone seems to be responding to is just the simple re-evaluating of our own/their own contribution to this great community and not wanting to blow it.

Thanks for providing the best alternative to actually playing.

ukeshale
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I hope people don't get the wrong idea about the Ahnko thread. While there is silliness and fun in there - no one really cares about the post count, it's not about that (which is why we're all still in there right now) It's more of a slow-paced chat room where I've made a lot of genuine friends.

I'm pleased that the post count has been removed. It removes any guilt that was associated with posting there. I can now spend time there without people judging me ;)

We're all here to talk about ukulele and be a positive community. I think these decisions are going to help that.

hoosierhiver
11-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I think the town meeting and the changes came at the perfect time.
Rayan and the other mods do a great job!

SuperSecretBETA
11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
My rep shall remain forever!!! :D

sukie
11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
My rep shall remain forever!!! :D

What a good way to look at it! Brilliant!!!:D

Fred Miu
11-11-2009, 03:13 PM
man, i thought i went crazy by thinking it was my browser that didnt finish loading.

glad to hear im not the insane one.

pithaya9
11-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Wow, I go to Moloka'i for a week with no internet access and the world has changed.

haolejohn
11-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Wow, I go to Moloka'i for a week with no internet access and the world has changed.

Just wait until you watch the news:)

haolejohn
11-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I hope people don't get the wrong idea about the Ahnko thread. While there is silliness and fun in there - no one really cares about the post count, it's not about that (which is why we're all still in there right now) It's more of a slow-paced chat room where I've made a lot of genuine friends.

I'm pleased that the post count has been removed. It removes any guilt that was associated with posting there. I can now spend time there without people judging me ;)

We're all here to talk about ukulele and be a positive community. I think these decisions are going to help that.

I agree with you shane. The Ahnko Honu thread is a nice relief from the typical "what ukulele should i buy" threads. I've never met anyone from there but I think I would do anything that I could for all the regulars and you guys make all feel welcome there. I enjoy it and I won't leave until they make me.

SuperSecretBETA
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I kind of like this no rep thing. I got my cool green bars in my sig to trick newbies into thinking I provide good information. :D negative THAT!

rogue_wave
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM

I hope you know I ws just poking about the Ahnko thread! I feel no shame in admitting how many pages I've read through. Great break from everything.

ukeshale
11-12-2009, 01:01 AM
I hope you know I ws just poking about the Ahnko thread! I feel no shame in admitting how many pages I've read through. Great break from everything.

Of course! I hope I didn't come across like I'd taken you seriously and was targeting that post :) Apologies

beeejums
11-12-2009, 01:05 AM
That's probably a good idea.

You should always simplify. Except when you shouldn't.

luke'nlele
11-12-2009, 01:52 AM
We aren't really missing the post counts, but the positive rep points were fun...kinda like little warm fuzzies to give and get. It was such a kick to see when someone appreciated a post. It's a shame that we couldn't keep that function for the positive reps and just maybe move the negative comments to the pm's. Since it takes longer to post a pm, maybe a little cooling off period wouldn't have been a bad thing.

Ron and Jeanne

deach
11-12-2009, 01:58 AM

lolz! +1 positive rep!

UkeNinja
11-12-2009, 02:42 AM
lolz! +1 positive rep!
eh... how? HOW??? HHOOOOOWWWW??????

*pant pant*

gimme rep gimme rep gimme rep

-sorry, cold turkey is not for me-

(narcissism)

Blrfl
11-12-2009, 03:27 AM
We aren't really missing the post counts, but the positive rep points were fun...kinda like little warm fuzzies to give and get.

If you find yourself jonesing really badly, there is an assistance program that was started in 2005 to help you out: CLICKY (http://stn.notonthe.net/misc/repho.html) :D

(Inspired by another place I used to frequent that went through the same thing, only much, much worse.)

--Mark

hoosierhiver
11-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Maybe + rep points should be made available for purchase thru the UU store.

JT_Ukes
11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
http://nightgig.com/jt/images/rep-1.gif

Ahhhh.......

better :)

ahreeka
11-12-2009, 06:19 AM
on another forum im a member in, reps and post count really help identify who someone is, reps mostly, or how much we can rely on them. people who give good advice or is just positive or funny would get the most rep points. reps are a big factor in those forums and make the foum what it is and a known community. when i saw the rep system here i thought it was cool and i would share the love. but it doesnt really help when others dont know what its used for. id say to keep everything but its yours call

sukie
11-12-2009, 07:41 AM
on another forum im a member in, reps and post count really help identify who someone is, reps mostly, or how much we can rely on them. people who give good advice or is just positive or funny would get the most rep points. reps are a big factor in those forums and make the foum what it is and a known community. when i saw the rep system here i thought it was cool and i would share the love. but it doesnt really help when others dont know what its used for. id say to keep everything but its yours call

I'd rep you but I'm not allowed. +1.

brickerenator
11-12-2009, 07:44 AM
That's probably a good idea.

http://giveupinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/you-won-free-internet.jpg

UKISOCIETY
11-12-2009, 07:49 AM
http://giveupinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/you-won-free-internet.jpg

Dangit, I broke my monitor trying to cut that out! :mad:

dirk.li
11-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Too bad, I've always dreamed of becoming an ukulele hero one day... *boo hoo*

russ_buss
11-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Too bad, I always dreamed of becoming an ukulele hero one day... *boo hoo*

i've always dreamed of being a firetruck, but i'll settle for Senior Member anyday.

UKISOCIETY
11-13-2009, 07:21 AM
i've always dreamed of being a firetruck, but i'll settle for Senior Member anyday.

You're mean.

oops.:(

russ_buss
11-13-2009, 07:23 AM
You're mean.

oops.:(

and you're cute. meow!

+10...

Melissa82
11-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Seriously, just make it so the General Forum posts do not count towards your post count. Who's for it? I think that would end a lot of these "issues" so-called people have with it. Cuz reallly, I don't recall seeing anyone who said they care about it other than one thread that brought it up and even then it doesn't seem anyone cared. It just looks like we are trying to think of reasons why things have been going wonky lately on the board.

Rick
11-13-2009, 11:40 AM

I totally agree. hopefully we can weed out the scammers as easily without post counts.

Valerie
11-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Does anyone remember all the confusion and blah when the rep system was first set up?

I do- and I'm glad to see it go.

I never liked that if you found a post really helpful- you told the person anonmously.

At any other forum, if I find a post helpful, I send that member a "thanks for posting" PM.

Rep made us lazy.

I mean- what would be better- a green box or getting your inbox flooded with thank you notes?

~Valerie

(also like that the post counts are not so glaring.)

dirk.li
11-14-2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah! You're mean, Russ! *boo hoo*

Teek
11-14-2009, 09:15 AM
eh, it's all good.

Just sprayed coffee all over my monitor, thx! :agree:

JT_Ukes
11-14-2009, 10:50 AM
I STILL think of an "Old Richard" when I read "Senior Member"

But I have issues....

Melissa82
11-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I STILL think of an "Old Richard" when I read "Senior Member"

But I have issues....Hahahahahahahahaha

UkuLeLesReggAe
11-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I thought about it yesterday as I haven't been on for a week. My post count was huge, but for the past few months I didn't increase my post count by much at all. And I noticed a few people passing me by 1000 within like 3weeks.

I don't mind about it being gone, the only reason I liked the post count was to show other memebers that the higher your post count, the longer you have been here and the more you contribute... Not so much the higher the number, the more superior you are.

And I went to check my rep, and it was gone. Then I noticed all the post counts gone, and was about to make a thread asking if it was just my computer, but thought I would look on the forum before I start asking away, for once.

I don't mind, doesn't affect me :P

so wise choice Ryan

eleuke
11-15-2009, 09:43 PM
I been holdin back on this but I gotta spew my opinion at least once. Please, Ryan, bring the post counts back. Leave the rep off and all the other stuff, but the post counts are immeasurably valuable to new members. Who's been around? Who's new? Who's advice should I take? Who's advice should I take with a grain? Without post counts. everyone on the board is a noob, or an expert, and how are we to tell? Please, please... You don't know how valuable the post counts are to new members. Even with the PW thread and all that, at least it can tell us whose really here and whose not. Who is participating and who's not. If some are 'gaming the system' to get their post counts up, then shouldn't it be THEM that have the value of the board taken away, and not everyone else? I'm bummed that UU is now less valuable because of the actions of a few. End of rant... Thanks for your consideration of mho.

phanzo
11-15-2009, 09:58 PM
I been holdin back on this but I gotta spew my opinion at least once. Please, Ryan, bring the post counts back. Leave the rep off and all the other stuff, but the post counts are immeasurably valuable to new members. Who's been around? Who's new? Who's advice should I take? Who's advice should I take with a grain? Without post counts. everyone on the board is a noob, or an expert, and how are we to tell? Please, please... You don't know how valuable the post counts are to new members. Even with the PW thread and all that, at least it can tell us whose really here and whose not. Who is participating and who's not. If some are 'gaming the system' to get their post counts up, then shouldn't it be THEM that have the value of the board taken away, and not everyone else? I'm bummed that UU is now less valuable because of the actions of a few. End of rant... Thanks for your consideration of mho.

I've spoken previously in this thread but I have to say this is exactly what I think. Even though I've been a member since Feb of 08, I still rely heavily on post counts. Even if they "pad" their post count in the Ahnko (or PW) thread, it still shows that they are active in the community and are abel to provide a decent opinion of the topic at hand.

I mean, think about it. Someone who signs up today could get a response from Deach or Andy or any of the other folks who have really great opinions and expertise and take the advice the same way as if it were from someone like myself or one who has less expertise. Although everyone's opinion is worth considering, someone with 3,000 posts is certainly more credible than someone with 50 or 100. Providing the poster with that info directly just makes things easier. Although post counts are accessible through public profiles, showing them in each post provides the user with valuable information.

I'm sorry for the rambling and some of it may not make sense but the point is....Showin post counts only helps people. If we are really trying to help out the "next generation of uke players" then we need to provide them with the information needed to make the best decisions and get the best feedback possible.

Thanks for reading, hope we can straighten this thing out.

SuperSecretBETA
11-15-2009, 11:48 PM

I've spoken previously in this thread but I have to say this is exactly what I think. Even though I've been a member since Feb of 08, I still rely heavily on post counts. Even if they "pad" their post count in the Ahnko (or PW) thread, it still shows that they are active in the community and are abel to provide a decent opinion of the topic at hand.

I mean, think about it. Someone who signs up today could get a response from Deach or Andy or any of the other folks who have really great opinions and expertise and take the advice the same way as if it were from someone like myself or one who has less expertise. Although everyone's opinion is worth considering, someone with 3,000 posts is certainly more credible than someone with 50 or 100. Providing the poster with that info directly just makes things easier. Although post counts are accessible through public profiles, showing them in each post provides the user with valuable information.

I'm sorry for the rambling and some of it may not make sense but the point is....Showin post counts only helps people. If we are really trying to help out the "next generation of uke players" then we need to provide them with the information needed to make the best decisions and get the best feedback possible.

Thanks for reading, hope we can straighten this thing out.

:agree: It's such a basic function. People should weigh post counts however they see fit. If they don't think it matters to them personally, they can simply choose to ignore it.

I know this "cool down" seems to have the opposite effect on current members, but things will eventually cool down at some point. I think they'll bring post counts back. It's just at matter of time. We just have to wait for whatever. Let's just twiddle our thumbs until that happens. :)

deach
11-16-2009, 01:13 AM
I mean, think about it. Someone who signs up today could get a response from Deach or Andy or any of the other folks who have really great opinions and expertise and take the advice the same way as if it were from someone like myself or one who has less expertise. Although everyone's opinion is worth considering, someone with 3,000 posts is certainly more credible than someone with 50 or 100. Providing the poster with that info directly just makes things easier. Although post counts are accessible through public profiles, showing them in each post provides the user with valuable information. ...
Gerald Ross has 60 posts. I have slightly more. Who you gonna trust?

buddhuu
11-16-2009, 02:50 AM
Gerald Ross has 60 posts. I have slightly more. Who you gonna trust?

You, of course. Sheesh... :rolleyes:

UkeNinja
11-16-2009, 03:07 AM
I think people with a long time membership and somewhere between a solid 900-1000 posts without participation in endless relay chatting threads are the most trustworthy.

dnewton2
11-16-2009, 03:15 AM
I think people with a long time membership and somewhere between a solid 900-1000 posts

So someone like me would have UU cred. :D

Personally I liked seeing the post count and the rep was kind of cool. If it is causeing some sort of problem with memebers then be gone with it, I don't really understand what kind of problem there is/was. But what I don't know/understand can fill a (very large) warehouse.

seeso
11-16-2009, 03:30 AM
I think all that can be said has been said. Your issues have been heard. Stay tuned, and thanks for all the input.