Video comparison of wood vs. plastic Makalas

Thanks, Will. Nice comprehensive demo. :)

Going by the video, you can certainly hear the wood=bright / plastic=mellow thing, but the volume thing seems to come across the other way from how you heard it when you recorded that. On the video I thought the plastic sounded not just mellower but a fraction louder too.

There's only one thing for it. I'm going to have to find a store with plastic Makalas and try them out!

Good job. Hope your project goes well.

Going by the video, you can certainly hear the wood=bright / plastic=mellow thing, but the volume thing seems to come across the other way from how you heard it when you recorded that. On the video I thought the plastic sounded not just mellower but a fraction louder too.

There's only one thing for it. I'm going to have to find a store with plastic Makalas and try them out!

Good job on the review.:agree::agree: I am looking at a Makala for a beater uke and you review/comparrison was great!!
Good luck on your project!!:)

That is a weird but common phenomenon - how a uke can sound louder to the player and less loud to a listener.

I used to think that my Taylor acoustic lacked a bit in the bass register until I heard someone else play it.

That is a weird but common phenomenon - how a uke can sound louder to the player and less loud to a listener.

I used to think that my Taylor acoustic lacked a bit in the bass register until I heard someone else play it.

Yup. Same with mandolins. I only realise how loud my mandolin is when one of my my jam/band mates grabs it while I go to the bar/bathroom. As I return to my seat I'm always surprised how loud my mando is. When I play I worry that it won't cut through equally with banjo and sax, but it puts up a pretty good fight. I just don't hear it when I'm playing it.

Great review RevWill. I had noticed very similar results with my grandkids ukes, and have to agree either one are a great sounding for the price.

Yeah, I don't think one sounds any less good than the other, they're just a bit different. Which one an individual likes better would be a matter of personal preference. I'm leaning toward the plastic ones, but my son is sounding great on his orange wooden one. He came to me this morning and said "I can play eight chords now. Watch!" Then he proceeded to play eight perfectly voiced chords - all four strings clean as a whistle! And the uke itself sounded quite good.

I think some ukes project the sound forward, whereas with other ukes, the sound projects all around.

Since I'm a brass player, it makes me think of trombone as compared to the euphonium (small tuba). Same size mouthpiece & length of tubing, but one projects very directionally, and with the other the sound emanates all around it.

I just posted a vid of myself playing two Makala sopranos; one with wooden back and sides, one with the newer-design plastic.

If you're wondering how different they sound, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tl9fgDk4Cs

Nice video! Thanks for doing it! I like your "Here comes the sun" rendition too. I have been trying to learn that one for a video I did for the Sisterhood of the Traveling Ukulele (Uke visits Hollywood Walk of Fame). I wanted to use that song (as well as "Good Day Sunshine") as a soundtrack to the video, but my practice time has not been sufficient to get the job done. Nice job!

–Lori

Top Bottom