Low G-String tuning.

degracia

Reaction score
I recieved the Makala MK-T that Deach gave away :) :D

But one problem I have is the wounded G string. I'm not good with strings but I'd like to know how to tune it. It's a ridiculous question, and I couldnt seem to find another thread on it.

Once the question has been answered, mods can lock this.

low g sounds super weird til u get used to it, especially if youre used to regular ukes. but i actually prefer low g cuz its kinda a "darker" side of the uke. But i use an IMT-500 to tune it same as a normal g string.

*edit* not really same as a normal g string, but its G, just a low version, hope that helps

Last edited:
I see now. So I guess I tuned it down to the low G.

But would anyone reccomend me changing the strings then? I mean, I'm fine with the CEA strings, but I'm much used to playing the standard GCEA tuning.

I see now. So I guess I tuned it down to the low G.

But would anyone reccomend me changing the strings then? I mean, I'm fine with the CEA strings, but I'm much used to playing the standard GCEA tuning.

if it were me, i would keep it on, and have one uke with a normal g, and one with low g, then you can decide which to play, you have both sides of the spectrum

I recieved the Makala MK-T that Deach gave away :) :D

But one problem I have is the wounded G string. I'm not good with strings but I'd like to know how to tune it. It's a ridiculous question, and I couldnt seem to find another thread on it.

Once the question has been answered, mods can lock this.

Here's a link that can help you tune the Low-G string while you decide if you want to change it or not.

http://www.sheep-entertainment.nl/ukulele/index.html

Select the "Tenor" tuning option on the right-hand side and click on the pitchpipe so it'll help you get started on playing.

Yeah I used the sheep tuning.

I still find it 'uncomfortable'. If I changed the strings, is it normal for a Tenor to have a standard GCEA tuning?

I still find it 'uncomfortable'. If I changed the strings, is it normal for a Tenor to have a standard GCEA tuning?

that i dont know, i dont own any tenors, but someone here soes and can answer your question better than i

Well I've decided to probably invest on some WORTH strings or maybe some Aquilas. I really don't know what would sound best for the Makala MK-T. So basically all I need is some good reviews on what to get.

The only music store here in Hayward only has 1 set of Tenor strings. La Bella Tenor's for 9.99 :confused: I swear those went for like 3.49 online. I doubt I'd drop any money on those anyways. I'll probably go ahead and get some from MGM.

Well I've decided to probably invest on some WORTH strings or maybe some Aquilas. I really don't know what would sound best for the Makala MK-T. So basically all I need is some good reviews on what to get.

The only music store here in Hayward only has 1 set of Tenor strings. La Bella Tenor's for 9.99 :confused: I swear those went for like 3.49 online. I doubt I'd drop any money on those anyways. I'll probably go ahead and get some from MGM.

It's fine for a Tenor to have GCEA tuning (high g). I've been noticing that there are more tenors these days that come standard with low G, especially on Pono ukes and the likes of others. I actually ordered high g aquila and d'addario string set from stringsbymail.com last week and they should be coming in any day now. The flate rate shipping of $4 is good if you're buying in bulk, only problem is that they only carry those two brands for ukes on that site.

Just for the sake of clarity, it's common to represent high G tuning like this:

g C E A

And low G tuning like this:

G C E A

This goes for any tuning you use on your uke. For example, if you tune your soprano to D with a high A, then you can represent it like this:

a D F# B

As for which strings buy, I'd suggest getting both brands. You don't know what you like or what sounds good on you ukulele until you try both sets out.

Aquilas will have a brighter tone than Worths, and Aquilas are thicker as well.

You can also invest in a tuner, so you're not too reliant on the web to tune your instrument. Get one that clips onto your uke, like the ones that are being discussed in this thread:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2149

^^ Well see the Aquilas are already on the uke, but its a set of Aquilas with a low G wound. I love the way it sounds, but the fact that that low G is there bothers me since I'm not too fond of it.

as for the tuner, I wouldn't mind dropping money on it. It'd be very usefule when I'm away from home. I called in my local music store and all they have is pitchpipes for 4.95

Man they need to upgrade in there.

Hey....go with what you are comfortable with. If you've been been playing your instrument with a high c, go with that. Its a personal preference. There is nothing normal or abnormal about it. Like for myself, I like the meatiness of the low G....hence I feel a little uncomfortable with a high g.

Top Bottom